News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 859     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There are no inside destination signs they only show it on the outside of the train just like with buses and streetcars.

Maybe the TTC wants their own creation, instead of going with something that works in other cities. (Trying for something cheaper, but will not be in the end.)

Maybe the TTC wants their own creation, instead of going with something that works in other cities. (Trying for something cheaper, but will not be in the end.)
Why do you need to know where the train your on is going if you have already seen it from the outside, plus it's not exactly hard to mess up on the subway in Toronto as a train on the Bloor Danforth line isn't likely going to end up going to Vaughan somehow.

Why do you need to know where the train your on is going if you have already seen it from the outside, plus it's not exactly hard to mess up on the subway in Toronto as a train on the Bloor Danforth line isn't likely going to end up going to Vaughan somehow.

In other subways/metros, they show the next station along with the transit connections (metro/tram/bus route numbers).

This video from 2007, showing how out-of-date and behind the TTC is.

It is a common practice globally although primarily in cities where there is more than one terminal on a line.

London is a good example where the Bakerloo will terminate at Stonebridge Park, Queens Park or Harrow and Wealdstone. The Central Line will either terminate at Ealing-Broadway or West Ruislip depending on the trains destination.

Hell, the Northern Line has 5 destinations depending on the time of day, branch and direction of travel.

Just because you the destination is on the outside does not mean you will see it hence why the have it inside. Even the trains inside will say things like.. "This is a Bakerloo service to Stonebridge Park, the next station is Maida Vale.. mind the gap before exiting the train".

It is a common practice globally although primarily in cities where there is more than one terminal on a line.

London is a good example where the Bakerloo will terminate at Stonebridge Park, Queens Park or Harrow and Wealdstone. The Central Line will either terminate at Ealing-Broadway or West Ruislip depending on the trains destination.

Hell, the Northern Line has 5 destinations depending on the time of day, branch and direction of travel.

Just because you the destination is on the outside does not mean you will see it hence why the have it inside. Even the trains inside will say things like.. "This is a Bakerloo service to Stonebridge Park, the next station is Maida Vale.. mind the gap before exiting the train".

Especially if you're rushing and board a train at a station with center platforms. You get on a train, and get an "oops, wrong direction".

Haven't taken a nap on a train and woke up wondering where you are? People have been know to sleep all the way to a terminal, and having to take a return trip.

In other subways/metros, they show the next station along with the transit connections (metro/tram/bus route numbers).

This video from 2007, showing how out-of-date and behind the TTC is.
I don't get why people make a big deal about these unesecary things that are being added to buses and subways. Like for example now inside of the bus instead of just being told what the next stop is for some reason we are now told the time and the operator number. At the last TTC board meeting a very good point was brought up that giving out an operator number could be potentially dangerous and isn't something that the general public needs to know. If you need to report something about a bus driver all you should need is the time route number buss number and possibly the run number, any other information seems very dangerous to me. It's like in the hospitality industry no one gives out there last name to customers or guests it's not information that they need to know.

In Toronto, they'll probably want to reduce the useful information to the barest minimum and increase the commercial time as much as possible, to get the most revenue stream as possible.

In Toronto, they'll probably want to reduce the useful information to the barest minimum and increase the commercial time as much as possible, to get the most revenue stream as possible.

Perhaps but it is much more useful to have information on delays. If I am underground in a crowded train, it would be useful to know if the line I am on is turning back because there is a 6+ Alarm fire at Bloor-Yonge in rush hour for example. If this information is posted on the screens like they do on the Onestop signs it would allow me to work around it.

Perhaps but it is much more useful to have information on delays. If I am underground in a crowded train, it would be useful to know if the line I am on is turning back because there is a 6+ Alarm fire at Bloor-Yonge in rush hour for example. If this information is posted on the screens like they do on the Onestop signs it would allow me to work around it.
They already announce it and if the train your on is short tuning typically either the driver ort Guard announce that. On the Bloor Danforth line, they even announce when they are going to hold for a crew change over.

Those displays should display alerts because of fire, suicides, slow-downs, etc. when they occur in place of the commercials, until the problem is rectified.

they do but they just don't always say what the delay is, remember the TTC doesn't want to announce suicides over the PA so it's not encouraged.
It really seems to depend on the severity of the delay or the type of delay whether or not it fills the screen most of the time it;'s just at the bottom with the arrival time however one time when they weren't servicing Museum due to a security incident they put that on all the screens

they do but they just don't always say what the delay is ...
On board the trains? I don't think I've ever seen a text announcement - which is annoying when you are wearing earphones, as by the time you've taken the things out of your ears, you are left wondering what you've missed. Heck, with the noise and speaker quality, half the time there's an announcement and you can hear it's "We are experiencing a delay at Flmphph station". Text would be useful - and I thought mandatory for accessibility.

On board the trains? I don't think I've ever seen a text announcement - which is annoying when you are wearing earphones, as by the time you've taken the things out of your ears, you are left wondering what you've missed. Heck, with the noise and speaker quality, half the time there's an announcement and you can hear it's "We are experiencing a delay at Flmphph station". Text would be useful - and I thought mandatory for accessibility.
It's not actually a problem with the speaker system its; becuse ther person making the anoncemt from ttransiot cont has to use the same radio frquency that is being used to aloert drivers and other TTC persal about waht is going on so they have to be extremly quick about the ancoumnet. They are wroking on having it be on a spret syetm as they upgared the subway wayside radio sytem from anaolg to digital. Alos something to keep in mind all of the other sytems that have fancy led sign isndie an outside of train are all prpperly funded and din't have to worry if they will get fuinding for something or have it defed to another year before the project is put in place.

Or, my favourite, when the door closing warning bongs right over them.

Coming to Infrastructure Committee next week:

Coordinated Street Furniture Program Agreement Update
Origin
(March 19, 2019) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services​
Recommendations
The General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the General Manager, Transportation Services to enter into and execute an additional amending agreement to the Street Furniture Agreement dated July 20, 2007 with Astral Media Outdoor (Toronto) G. P. to implement the following objectives with no financial impact to the City or to Astral Media's capital program expenditure for the Coordinated Street Furniture Program, and in a form acceptable to the City Solicitor:

a. Allow for the implementation of a transit shelter heating kit to be installed at select transit shelters from within the existing envelope for Astral Media's capital program expenditure.

Back