News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 582     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Summerhill Station is scheduled for accessibility (elevators) by 2023. Rosedale Station is scheduled for 2024. Rosedale Station is an open-to-the-
elements station.
Rosedale, by being completely open (as opposed to being a tunnel portal) has the wind and rain in its favour. It's the stations that catch the wind and have no way of exhausting the filth that concentrate the grime.

Rosedale looks really good as it is, I'd forgotten the smaller mosaic tiles there. Why spend money where it's not needed? There's many stations that desperately need TLC. I have respect and appreciation for the simplicity and clean lines of Rosedale. Hopefully it will stay that way for some time yet, like a Harris Tweed with jeans, it's timeless.

And note that Rosedale has a white ceiling! I forget when that was last reno'd. I remember it, I was living on the edge of "The Village" then, some forty years ago.

You see the same Google failing in other cities - Seattle comes to mind, where they have two modern Toronto-like streetcar lines doing short local service both of which connect to their grade-separated Link light rail which does regional service - and both are called LRT.

Toronto's Line 3 (RT) and Vancouver's Skytrain however are shown as "Subway". Somehow though, they've managed in San Francisco to put in "Cable Car" lines. It seems a very California-centric implementation. Amusingly though San Francisco has 2 Toronto-like streetcar lines, which are shown as buses.

But someone somewhere will probably tell you that Google only ever gets Toronto wrong. :)
That is what happens when all of the people in charge of adding stuff to Google Maps are overpaid GIS technicians in Mountain View.

Something like OpenStreetMaps is much more democratic (and not paid a single penny). Unlike Google Maps (which does not even contain transit lines that are a few years old located in major cities in the Anglophone parts of the Global North of all places), OpenStreetMaps contains future transit lines (even those in the Global South)!

Rosedale like Summerhill can be enclose by having a development built over it. All of TTC open areas other than a few places can have development built over the open air tracks and stations. This is one of Ford plans for taking over the subway system. The NIMBY folks will not like this idea.

The idea of building over TTC stations and tracks have been around for decades, but TTC wants office development over the station and that not going to happen at all in most cases. There been a plan to built over Davisville 100%, but hasn't gone anywhere since day one.

Been about 10 years since TTC shot down the plan for building condos over Sheppard/Young bus terminal, as TTC was willing to wait for office tower down the road of 25-50 years.. If the plan office tower across the street parking lot looks like it going to go condos, what is TTC chances to see demand for a tower on their site now?? Same goes for Finch.

Summerhill Station is scheduled for accessibility (elevators) by 2023. Rosedale Station is scheduled for 2024. Rosedale Station is an open-to-the-
elements station.

1920px-Rosedale_Platform_02.jpg

From link.

Chicago's Garfield Green Line station is also open to the elements. Here's how it looked in 1996:
5405699029_d7c97e5a73_z.jpg

From link.

From link:

Orginally built in 1892, it now has elevators.

750x422

Any chance that the Rosedale Station could get a better, more enclosed look for the entire station, when they construct the elevators for it? Maybe even escalators for Rosedale and Summerhill Stations?

Maybe, that would be nice to see that design of that Chicago station. I think it might end up like that, though I don't know. Also, Rosedale won't be accessible till 2024?

Why does the TTC prefer an office tower to condo?

Financial return.

The typical model for office development over transit is a land-lease/air rights model in which the TTC receives annual payments , potentially well into the millions for decades to come.

Condos would more likely be a one-time windfall, as well as less lucrative.

Also a full office tower drives more traffic (ridership) than a condo tower of similar size.

Aside from commercial space generally being more profitable for leasing, office towers can also potentially increase the weekday subway ridership at nearby stations. People from other areas of the city are more inclined to commute by subway if their work is extremely close to a rapid transit location.

If you have a condo there per-say, many people may have work all over the city, with most of it not necessarily being accessible by subway, or the fact that some people just choose to drive everywhere (a big issue with Summerhill and Rosedale in general).

The proposed 30 HIGH PARK bus should be extended west and replace the 55 WARREN PARK on-street looping off Old Dundas Street to Underwood Avenue.

Wouldn't the KEELE STATION get a bit crowded with all those buses entering there? 989, 941, 189, 89, and 41? Or will the 189 STOCKYARDS bus bypass KEELE STATION completely with just on-street transfers (have your PRESTO card available to handle the transfer), before terminating at the HIGH PARK STATION?

The proposed 30 HIGH PARK bus should be extended west and replace the 55 WARREN PARK on-street looping off Old Dundas Street to Underwood Avenue.

Wouldn't the KEELE STATION get a bit crowded with all those buses entering there? 989, 941, 189, 89, and 41? Or will the 189 STOCKYARDS bus bypass KEELE STATION completely with just on-street transfers (have your PRESTO card available to handle the transfer), before terminating at the HIGH PARK STATION?

189 will loop through according to the diagram. I think that route is useless anyways...

189 will loop through according to the diagram. I think that route is useless anyways...

When the 506 CARLTON was replaced with buses, they terminated at HIGH PARK STATION, avoiding KEELE STATION. the 189 STOCKYARDS might do the same. That's why the question about on-street transfers to and from the 189.

From link.

506mapd1805.gif

When the 506 CARLTON was replaced with buses, they terminated at HIGH PARK STATION, avoiding KEELE STATION. the 189 STOCKYARDS might do the same. That's why the question about on-street transfers to and from the 189.

From link.

506mapd1805.gif

189 will terminate at High Park Station. What would be interesting is seeing that route operating, look at the uselessness..

Last edited:
In addition, 189 would operate from High Park Stn via Bloor, Keele Stn, Keele St, backroads around St Clair/Keele, Gunns Loop, St Clair to Scarlett.

189 will terminate at High Park Station. What would be interesting is seeing that route operating, look at the uselessness..
I understand how they don't have enough space for all those 506 buses to layover at Keele Station but for a 20 min service to not have space?

It's not a bad idea to run another service on Keele from the subway to St Clair. A lot of people would use it and this service would shorted people's walking distance to the stores hiding on Stokyard Rd. Thr whole idea was to have a continuous service on St Clair from Scarlett to Keele but extending the 127 would turn that route into a disaster. Adding a new service and not eliminating the 79B is the best option for the riders.

The 71A had riders despite being a short route. I don't think this would be a useless route. It does it's job of getting people on St Clair to the Stockyards. You might as well call the 71A useless too.

Back