News   Apr 24, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 419     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 769     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It is pretty obvious most of the time. And I am fairly confident (99%) that there is at least one person sitting on the blue seats who doesn't need it.

AoD

Ya know, I'd tend to agree with you.............but then....

A week ago, my back went into spasm, for no apparent reason. It was severe enough I went to hospital to get an injection to relax the muscles.

For a day or two after, I was using a cane, just in case my back tightened up again without warning.

Thereafter, while I stopped using the cane as I started to improve in earnest, I'm sure I looked able bodied and middle aged...........but I was still really in need of a seat as I couldn't take being jarred for another day or two.

Of course, my story is the exception to the rule.............yet, how often can anyone be sure that the person doesn't need the spot?

Courtesy is important.

But judging when it has or hasn't been appropriate extended is not always as easy as it seems.

Pregnancy is always the tricky one for me. I know too many people who've assumed someone was pregnant when they weren't. Please just ask me if you need a seat, I won't say no.

It is - and the faux pas has happened to me once. Embarrassing - sure - but better to have asked than not. And if I made a mistake and lost the seat it isn't even that big a deal.

Ya know, I'd tend to agree with you.............but then....

There are always exceptions, etc - but the harm in asking the wrong person to move is probably much, much lower than the gain from asking the right person to.

AoD

Nov 11
I expect St Clair West Loop is in service today, as it look ready on Sunday. Hard to get shots yesterday with the narrow area to shot from, but will have better shots later this week
45125792574_9985185ea5_b.jpg

31979321258_316bf1243d_b.jpg

44937441415_39bfc52ff8_b.jpg

Nov 11
I expect St Clair West Loop is in service today, as it look ready on Sunday. Hard to get shots yesterday with the narrow area to shot from, but will have better shots later this week
45125792574_9985185ea5_b.jpg

31979321258_316bf1243d_b.jpg

44937441415_39bfc52ff8_b.jpg
Yes, streetcars were serving the loop at St Clair West today. Boarded one in the station.

Brad Ross appointed City of Toronto's Chief Communications Officer

Toronto City Manager Chris Murray today announced the appointment of Brad Ross as the City's Chief Communications Officer following a comprehensive search. Ross will officially assume his new role on January 7, 2019.

"The Chief Communications Officer is responsible for communicating the overall strategic direction for the City of Toronto, as well as making sure the public clearly understands Council's priorities and how to access City programs and services," said City Manager Chris Murray. "Brad brings a wealth of experience to lead our professional communications staff in the development of internal and external communications strategies, public education campaigns, digital outreach and more. He is a champion of best practices, has deep relationships with the media, can capably manage emerging situations and will be a great steward of the City's brand. I'm elated to have him return to the City in this key leadership role."

Toronto City Manager Chris Murray today announced the appointment of Brad Ross as the City's Chief Communications Officer following a comprehensive search. Ross will officially assume his new role on January 7, 2019.

"The Chief Communications Officer is responsible for communicating the overall strategic direction for the City of Toronto, as well as making sure the public clearly understands Council's priorities and how to access City programs and services," said City Manager Chris Murray. "Brad brings a wealth of experience to lead our professional communications staff in the development of internal and external communications strategies, public education campaigns, digital outreach and more. He is a champion of best practices, has deep relationships with the media, can capably manage emerging situations and will be a great steward of the City's brand. I'm elated to have him return to the City in this key leadership role."

Ahh, I remember emailing Brad when I was a reporter. Glad to see the old dog move up.

A "Chief Communications Officer" that doesn't look like a regular "suit".

A-fzjQ9CIAADZ5w.jpg

From link.

8677-20141024-brad-ross.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_1365-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.jpg

From link.

So I looked up and noticed these blacked out signs atop the Bedford entrance to St George station.

Never noticed them before but does anyone know what they are and why they are there? I can see them dating back to the 1960s but even still.. why would they not have been removed. I would not be surprised if they lit up and said *FIRE DO NOT ENTER*

20181115_061232.jpg

Last edited:
So I looked up and noticed these blacked out signs atop the Bedford entrance to St George station.

Never noticed them before but does anyone know what they are and why they are there? I can see them dating back to the 1960s but even still.. why would they not have been removed. I would not be surprised if they lit up and said *FIRE DO NOT ENTER*

View attachment 163834

It's part of a system to help with crowding at St George and Bloor Young, the control both at Bloor and young monitors both stations and can turn on signs that say to not enter the station or to not go up the stairs

The car folks are going to really hate this intersection once all the work is done. No place to jump in front of a streetcar as there will be built out platforms on both side of Queen on the east side of the intersection. That nice right turning lane going east on Queen to King will be gone. Only allow to make a U-Turn at only 2 intersection along the Queensway, west of the intersection to Parkside.

It will be interesting how traffic and transit will operate in this area, especially when all the tracks into and out of the yard are replace. Lots of single lane of traffic for everyone. I expect that the eastbound platform will be remove since it will cease to exist after the work is done to allow traffic going westbound to use it.

As noted, once work has started going to be a zoo in all direction and need to look at another option to bypass the area.

At the end of the day, transit will still move slowly through the intersection area.
I'm guessing all streetcars will terminate at Dufferin Loop in the west, with shuttle buses for the remainder of the route avoiding the construction zone and heading up Roncesvalles.

My gusss is 501 terminating using the described on-street loop, and 504A and 501L running with buses diverting around Queen and Roncesvalles intersection. As well as likely 504A buses from Parialment down to Distllery Loop.

My gusss is 501 terminating using the described on-street loop, and 504A and 501L running with buses diverting around Queen and Roncesvalles intersection. As well as likely 504A buses from Parialment down to Distllery Loop.
504A could go from Dundas West station via Dundas west to Bathurst and then south on Bathurst to king and the reverse heading back from the distillery loop. They did that when the streetcar got derailed pushing an out of service car off of king.

Back