1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 997     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Two TTC contracts on MERX that are of interest:

AUTOMATED TRANSIT SHUTTLE TRANSPORT CANADA ACATS PROGRAM

The purpose of this Request for Information is to research the market place and gather information from potential suppliers, solution providers and service providers, in order to help the TTC, the City of Toronto and Metrolinx understand the opportunities, technology and limitations of an automated transit shuttle with a capacity of up to 8 -15 persons.

SCARBOROUGH SUBWAY EXTENSION – PRECISION LAND SURVEYING

I thought the TTC had stated they were no longer considering that option at all?

They also rejected it many years ago as an option only for it to make a return. Which you may be right that they rejected a second time. But I didn't read the merx thing properly, and had no idea what ACATS is. Turns out it's a federal program to Advance Connectivity in the Transportation System. O/T but earlier today was wondering why Transport Canada doesn't have a Transit administration, not unlike the US DOT's FTA, which would be related in instances like this.

Nov 17/20
PCC out on a Charter run on Church St

Someone got to eat their comment about no wire at the bottom of the new overhead for St Clair W Loop, as its there. The junction points is something I have never seen before and no connection where it happens. The rail runs pass the other connecting rail, with the wire is extended pass the rail. The car pan is up just above where its normally down when not in service at most of the loop and goes up near the bypass track. How the rail is connected to the ceiling various from location to location based on the floor-ceiling height.

Have to re-shoot the system and look for better location to get a shot of the pan at various location.
45048955335_a6fbea26a4_b.jpg

32090130598_0a5a1b1d4a_b.jpg

45048952795_3843474b57_b.jpg

45082688445_0cf7e485c4_b.jpg

45082689845_25a650bea0_b.jpg

45082691245_eb921de55c_b.jpg

44178436490_5cb69782fe_b.jpg

44178437210_45a73ccac9_b.jpg

44178439580_f6f3577bb7_b.jpg

45082696745_a0635f7a41_b.jpg

45082698445_83c02b4faf_b.jpg

44178446910_f2d075571d_b.jpg

Mixed Signals
Toronto Transit in a North American Context

See PDF link.

Also see link.

The future of Toronto's public transit is at risk.

Start with the new member of the TTC board (councillors and public members) who actually use the TTC on a regular basic, not just for a photo op.

The subsidy per rider will be going up a lot now that real ridership counts can occur with Presto (vs the over-estimates and double counting of transfers that occurred in the past).

And I hope the bargaining is re-designed (and legislated) by the Ontario government so that any settlement is based upon comparative salaries + benefits of private jobs. There are a lot of comparables out there and the unionized workers have grossly inflated benefits (and slightly inflated salaries). Most of the cost is made of of total compensation and it needs to be managed.

End of an era as last TTC Metropass goes on sale tomorrow

November 22, 2018

A mainstay of TTC fare payment for nearly 40 years and a regular fixture in the lives and wallets of nearly 300,000 Torontonians every month, the Metropass is coming to the end of the line. This milestone is a key part of the TTC's transition to the PRESTO fare payment system. Tickets and tokens will be discontinued by the end of 2019.

The December Metropass, featuring the Cabbagetown Neighbours Heritage Mural on Parliament St. by Poonam Sharma and Michael Cavanaugh, will be the last. It goes on sale tomorrow, Nov. 23, until Dec. 5 and is good for unlimited travel for the month of December.

The first Metropass was a paper card that required TTC photo ID to use. It went on sale on April 7, 1980 for the month of May at a cost of $26. The pass immediately proved a hit with 693,000 adult monthly passes sold from May to December 1980. In 2017, 2.4 million adult passes were sold.

Over the years, other passes were introduced for seniors, students and bulk purchasers. In 2005, the pass became transferable between customers.

Since 1980, more than 78 million Metropasses have been sold.

December Metropasses are available for purchase at collector booths and participating TTC fare agents and are $146.25 for adults and $116.75 for seniors (65+), students (13-19) and post-secondary students with valid ID.

The TTC is encouraging those who have not done so already, to switch to PRESTO before January.

TTC Monthly Passes and 12-Month Passes are available on PRESTO. These passes cost the same and provide the same unlimited travel as a regular Metropass or Metropass Discount Plan (MDP). These monthly passes on PRESTO are also available for sale from Nov. 23 until Dec. 5. Customers can purchase a TTC Monthly Pass from any Shoppers Drug Mart location, from a Fare Vending Machine at TTC subway station entrances, from the TTC's Customer Service Centre or online at prestocard.ca. Twelve Month Passes on PRESTO are only available online at prestocard.ca

With a PRESTO card, customers will be able to take advantage of a number of benefits. Customers are encouraged to register their PRESTO card by creating a My PRESTO Account online at prestocard.ca. Registering a PRESTO card protects the balance or monthly pass on the card if it's ever lost or stolen. With a registered card, customers can also take advantage of Autoload or Autorenew so they never have to worry about loading money or a monthly pass on their card each month, as it automatically happens. For more information about PRESTO, please visit https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ttc.ca%2Fpresto&data=02%7C01%7C%7C12fc184ff25649eeb95108d6509f943e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636785043641295809&sdata=hYJi9LTQaU5cRmbs3s3CUHRFJaZ536S9pxoyvW3li0o%3D&reserved=0

Throughout December, the TTC will promote the switch to PRESTO with giveaways of a limited number of cards which customers can load with any PRESTO pass product online, at Shoppers Drug Mart or through a Fare Vending Machine at any subway station.

End of an era as last TTC Metropass goes on sale tomorrow

November 22, 2018

A mainstay of TTC fare payment for nearly 40 years and a regular fixture in the lives and wallets of nearly 300,000 Torontonians every month, the Metropass is coming to the end of the line. This milestone is a key part of the TTC's transition to the PRESTO fare payment system. Tickets and tokens will be discontinued by the end of 2019.

The December Metropass, featuring the Cabbagetown Neighbours Heritage Mural on Parliament St. by Poonam Sharma and Michael Cavanaugh, will be the last. It goes on sale tomorrow, Nov. 23, until Dec. 5 and is good for unlimited travel for the month of December.

The first Metropass was a paper card that required TTC photo ID to use. It went on sale on April 7, 1980 for the month of May at a cost of $26. The pass immediately proved a hit with 693,000 adult monthly passes sold from May to December 1980. In 2017, 2.4 million adult passes were sold.

Over the years, other passes were introduced for seniors, students and bulk purchasers. In 2005, the pass became transferable between customers.

Since 1980, more than 78 million Metropasses have been sold.

December Metropasses are available for purchase at collector booths and participating TTC fare agents and are $146.25 for adults and $116.75 for seniors (65+), students (13-19) and post-secondary students with valid ID.

The TTC is encouraging those who have not done so already, to switch to PRESTO before January.

TTC Monthly Passes and 12-Month Passes are available on PRESTO. These passes cost the same and provide the same unlimited travel as a regular Metropass or Metropass Discount Plan (MDP). These monthly passes on PRESTO are also available for sale from Nov. 23 until Dec. 5. Customers can purchase a TTC Monthly Pass from any Shoppers Drug Mart location, from a Fare Vending Machine at TTC subway station entrances, from the TTC's Customer Service Centre or online at prestocard.ca. Twelve Month Passes on PRESTO are only available online at prestocard.ca

With a PRESTO card, customers will be able to take advantage of a number of benefits. Customers are encouraged to register their PRESTO card by creating a My PRESTO Account online at prestocard.ca. Registering a PRESTO card protects the balance or monthly pass on the card if it's ever lost or stolen. With a registered card, customers can also take advantage of Autoload or Autorenew so they never have to worry about loading money or a monthly pass on their card each month, as it automatically happens. For more information about PRESTO, please visit https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ttc.ca%2Fpresto&data=02%7C01%7C%7C12fc184ff25649eeb95108d6509f943e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636785043641295809&sdata=hYJi9LTQaU5cRmbs3s3CUHRFJaZ536S9pxoyvW3li0o%3D&reserved=0

Throughout December, the TTC will promote the switch to PRESTO with giveaways of a limited number of cards which customers can load with any PRESTO pass product online, at Shoppers Drug Mart or through a Fare Vending Machine at any subway station.

Well, end of era for Metropass, but I'll tell you one thing, TTC and Metrolinx to work out the glitches by January 1st, and wow, Metropasses only went on sale in 1980 ? Didn't know.

Mixed Signals
Toronto Transit in a North American Context

See PDF link.

Also see link.

The future of Toronto's public transit is at risk.

1542739463-20181120-transitsubsidies.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.jpg

1542739570-20181120-coderedto2.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.jpg

1542741084-20181120-coderedto.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.jpg

Start with the new member of the TTC board (councillors and public members) who actually use the TTC on a regular basic, not just for a photo op.

I do take a bit of issue with their methodology. Houston has abysmal ridership and while much improved than before with their bus route redesign still absymal service in comparison to the TTC. A $4 subsidy per rider in the GTA is definitely a vastly larger sum.

Addendum: Given that the right wing is in power, this report will have the exact opposite effect that they intend. The Ford government will look at it and see it as a success, lots of riders with low taxpayer support. They will aim to make the other GTA authorities as "efficient" as the TTC, not the other way around

Addendum: Given that the right wing is in power, this report will have the exact opposite effect that they intend. The Ford government will look at it and see it as a success, lots of riders with low taxpayer support. They will aim to make the other GTA authorities as "efficient" as the TTC, not the other way around

I was just about to type exactly the same comment. While the report points out some deficiencies in Toronto's situation, I would hate to be reading it as a transit advocate in some of those other cities. The message for them is to not build rail further, but concentrate on bus routes. And cut the subsidy per passenger to model Toronto. "If Toronto can build that ridership with a lower subsidy, so should we..."

I would have liked to see a metric comparing Toronto's average headways to other cities. (how one captures that in a valid way, I don't have a clue). Seems to be one of the missing ingredients that differentiates Toronto from other municipalities is TTC's focus on frequent service. So many places are content with 30 minute headways....or worse.... on bus routes, and maybe 10 minutes or more on heavy rail.

Overall, it's an excellent report to at least provide a fact-checking reference for the many situations where people throw numbers and comparisons out.

It would be interesting to do a similar comparison just looking at cities that have built "LRT" in the past couple decades. Lots of them out there now, there ought to be data looking at how they do or don't impact transit. Same with BRT.

- Paul

Maybe this report annoys me because a big part of my day job is getting buy-in from senior management at my company, and this strikes me as botched attempt.

They should have looked at transit systems they think the TTC should aspire to and found out what made them tick.

You don't benchmark yourself against systems that aspire to be the TTC as in this article

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.citylab.com/amp/article/568825/

I was just about to type exactly the same comment. While the report points out some deficiencies in Toronto's situation, I would hate to be reading it as a transit advocate in some of those other cities. The message for them is to not build rail further, but concentrate on bus routes. And cut the subsidy per passenger to model Toronto. "If Toronto can build that ridership with a lower subsidy, so should we..."
.../QUOTE]

I would point it out that maybe it is because Toronto has a legacy street railway network, that is the reason behind why Toronto has a better farebox recovery ratio than other North American cities.

Back