News   Apr 15, 2024
 947     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 649     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There’s a very simple explanation for this:

The streetcar network is centred in downtown and old Toronto — where the vast majority of people walk and bike around. It’s not the fault of the vehicle, but of the location.
The streetcar network is centred in downtown and old Toronto — where traffic speeds are much lower. This should result in much fewer deaths.

I wonder if buses act more like vehicles and have respect for other vehicles, while streetcars act like train - that have the right-of-way and any intruder cannot be stopped for.

There’s a very simple explanation for this:

The streetcar network is centred in downtown and old Toronto — where the vast majority of people walk and bike around. It’s not the fault of the vehicle, but of the location.

With more people and vehicles of all kinds, the result is: more targets are available!

The streetcar network is centred in downtown and old Toronto — where traffic speeds are much lower. This should result in much fewer deaths.

I wonder if buses act more like vehicles and have respect for other vehicles, while streetcars act like train - that have the right-of-way and any intruder cannot be stopped for.
Yes, like trains (which they really are) streetcars cannot swerve to avoid someone/something and stopping a streetcar is not speedy

There's more to it than just what the stats show. And one of the things that seem to arise is that that there needs to be more data kept on the incidents.

For instance, one of the deaths remarked upon in the article was a collision between a pickup truck that ran a stop sign and collided with a streetcar. The pickup truck then spun around and hit a cyclist, killing him. Was the streetcar directly at fault in that collision? Of course not, but it was still implicated in the stats. And I have no doubt that if you were to dig deeper into the numbers that you'd see other instances where transit vehicles are tangentially involved, rather than directly implicated.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The TTC are doing trackwork on Broadview for the next few months and have announced the following:

• 504A Dundas West Station to the Distillery Loop will operate at all times of the day with low-floor streetcars.
  • 503/504B Dufferin Gate Loop (Exhibition) to Bingham Loop (Victoria Park) will operate during the daytime, Monday to Friday.
  • 504C Dufferin Gate Loop (Exhibition) to Woodbine Loop (Queen St. and Kingston Rd.) will operate in the evening, Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
  • 504D Broadview Station to Parliament St. buses will replace streetcar service on Broadview Ave.
  • 514 Cherry service will be temporarily replaced by 504 King service during the summer months.
So far so good BUT I have yet to see a Streetcar with a letter actually added to the route number. (The signage for the 504A seems to say 504 Short Turn, To Distillery). Can the streetcar signage not deal with number suffixes?

So far so good BUT I have yet to see a Streetcar with a letter actually added to the route number. (The signage for the 504A seems to say 504 Short Turn, To Distillery). Can the streetcar signage not deal with number suffixes?
They would have to be programmed in, which is something that i'm not sure the TTC has done yet.

They would have to be programmed in, which is something that i'm not sure the TTC has done yet.
Ah, silos! This diversion was obviously planned months in advance so it seems unfortunate they can't connect all the pieces. It's like removing bus and streetcar stops and not stopping the automatic announcements for many months. Frankly , sloppy!

Last edited:
Ah, silos! This diversion was obviously planned months in advance so I seems unfortunate they can't connect all the pieces. It's like removing bus and streetcar stops and not stopping the automatic announcements for many months. Frankly , sloppy!
Welcome to the TTC, where the arms and legs of the organization don't move in a coordinated fashion. Most times, the arms and legs aren't even connected to the brain.

By the way, the current announcement system is outdated and they're ready to throw it out when the new Vision system comes along. I think they care less and less at this point.

I doubt they even reprogrammed them.

Unfortunately, the process for updating the destination signs on the low-floor streetcars is not yet as streamlined and straightforward as on the buses. To say there was no coordination is flatly untrue.

Unfortunately, the process for updating the destination signs on the low-floor streetcars is not yet as streamlined and straightforward as on the buses. To say there was no coordination is flatly untrue.
Perhaps we should have said " no successful coordination"? Life is really not like kindergarten where "tries hard" is an acceptable grade; the TTC is a 'grown-up' and it is really not unreasonable to expect staff to deal with things like getting signage to mirror reality - especially for projects like the 504 diversions which were clearly planned well in advance.

Perhaps we should have said " no successful coordination"? Life is really not like kindergarten where "tries hard" is an acceptable grade; the TTC is a 'grown-up' and it is really not unreasonable to expect staff to deal with things like getting signage to mirror reality - especially for projects like the 504 diversions which were clearly planned well in advance.

Hmm... could not just put a handwritten sign in the window.

I'm not sure, but it really wouldn't matter much. The signs would say "To Cherry" or "To Dufferin", and even if you got on the first one regardless of the route, you can get off at Sumach and take the other branch. The other streetcar will never pass yours for obvious reasons.

Back