News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 755     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

View attachment 107025

Actually Byford, it's most regrettable that TTC air quality is comparable to Beijing, period. That's coming from the researchers who performed the study. And the Star correctly reported that "at 95 micrograms per cubic metre, researchers say the levels are typical of an average day in pollution-choked Beijing".
And the TTC Presser linked to above says (quote is from Health Canada):

"While the results of this study have been compared to average air quality in Beijing, it is important to note that this comparison can be misinterpreted when simplified. Air quality in Beijing is often at levels much higher than that observed in Toronto subways during peak transit hours. Peak levels of air pollutants (particulate matter) in Beijing are often up to 8 times higher than the levels measured in the Toronto subway, and can last over periods of several days."
"
AND Ont. Min of labour says TTC subway air quality ‘not likely to endanger’ employees". Ministry of Labour. (From Star.)

Expect another messy morning commute...

Cci02UFc_normal.jpg
Ben Spurr@BenSpurr
3 mins ago
Breaking: TTC says it's removing its entire fleet of articulated buses from service over a safety concern.

TTC says one of the 60-foot buses experienced an unexpected "full throttle" acceleration during maintenance today.

That would make an unholy mess out of fleet plans/needs. ugh.

^software glitch....manufacturer has a solution...takes 20 minutes per bus to install....will not be in service tomorrow.

Hypothetical:
Suppose TTC decided to borrow some Flexities to run on Bathurst north of Bloor to relieve pressure on that section of the Bathurst bus. Where on St Clair West would it make sense to loop them?

^software glitch....manufacturer has a solution...takes 20 minutes per bus to install....will not be in service tomorrow.

It appears that they've managed to upload the update to the majority of the fleet in time for this morning's rush.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. They're now checking the software of the articulated buses and comparing it to the software of the 40 foot buses to see if they are susceptible to the problem as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Brad Ross (as of 4 hours ago): happy to report that just over 100 of 153 artic buses have been updated and are now in service.

Not sure if this has been posted yet (or if this is the correct place to post it), but it looks like Elon Musk and team are trying to innovate in the boring machine industry through his new company called "The Boring Company". Very curious to see what sort of innovations or cost savings this could bring to boring tunnels for infrastructure. Could this lead to subways being cheaper in the future?

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-launches-boring-company-to-dig-tunnels-2017-4

The coming change of Downsview to Sheppard West has got me thinking about other stations that "in a perfect world" I would change. Just for the sake of discussion, here's mine...
  • Kipling becomes Etobicoke Centre
  • Dundas West becomes Western Crossing
  • Bloor-Yonge becomes Bloor Central
  • Main Street becomes Eastern Crossing
  • Eglinton becomes Eglinton-Midtown
  • Vaughan Metropolitan Centre becomes Vaughan Centre
  • Dupont becomes Casa Loma
  • Dundas becomes Dundas Square
  • Sheppard-Yonge becomes Sheppard Central
  • Don Mills becomes Fairview
I'm sure you'll all give me a bunch of reasons why I'm nuts, but the above is simply my perfect world.

Eastern crossing of what? The others (other than Western Crossing) I can at least see the logic, and have some geographical sense to them. But I live near this one - and I don't think it's got any meaning to anyone around it. Eastern is further south and changes name to Kingston Road at Queen.

Instead of Sheppard Central, I'd think that Sheppard Centre might work better. As it names both the area, and mall itself of the same name that the subway is well connected too. But if the mall ever goes or changes its name, the name still works. And we have other Centres but no Centrals.

The coming change of Downsview to Sheppard West has got me thinking about other stations that "in a perfect world" I would change. Just for the sake of discussion, here's mine...
  • Kipling becomes Etobicoke Centre
  • Dundas West becomes Western Crossing
  • Bloor-Yonge becomes Bloor Central
  • Eglinton becomes Eglinton-Midtown
  • Vaughan Metropolitan Centre becomes Vaughan Centre
  • Dupont becomes Casa Loma
  • Dundas becomes Dundas Square
  • Sheppard-Yonge becomes Sheppard Central
  • Don Mills becomes Fairview
I'm sure you'll all give me a bunch of reasons why I'm nuts, but the above is simply my perfect world.

i'd name kipling six points, dundas west after the junction or something (or leave it), leave bloor yonge, leave main street, eglinton change to eglinton-yonge (midtown isn't bad), i like what u did w vaughan centre, leave dupont, only change dundas if they need to make that name available for another station (dundas sq. is good in this case), leave sheppard yonge, maybe change don mills to fairview.

i'd name kipling six points, dundas west after the junction or something (or leave it), leave bloor yonge, leave main street, eglinton change to eglinton-yonge (midtown isn't bad), i like what u did w vaughan centre, leave dupont, only change dundas if they need to make that name available for another station (dundas sq. is good in this case), leave sheppard yonge, maybe change don mills to fairview.
Dundas West (and I'm steps away) could reflect the most prominent neighbourhoods adjacent: Roncesvalles-South Junction

Apparently 8620 is now on TTC property.

I have my beef with certain subway station names (especially VMC and Pioneer Village)... but to add to my earlier post, apparently 8621 and 8622 are now at Eglinton.

(Source: https://cptdb.ca/topic/16058-ttc-nova-bus-deliveries/?do=findComment&comment=766475)

EDIT: I wish the TTC had painted the grille above the rear window area red, like the rest of the stripes. I also wish they had gotten the red plastic around the rear brake/turn lights (and a rear window).

179401112.jpg

url

Last edited:

Back