News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Subway operators are probably only 1% of the TTC's budget. Bus operators are their largest expense.

It's because of OVERTIME, which pays time-and-a-half or double-time over a certain number of hours one works and the number of days. If you work all 7 days, you'll be on the sunshine list.

Subway operators are probably only 1% of the TTC's budget. Bus operators are their largest expense.

Of course, but the union is still strangely resistant on subway automation, even though it would allow for better system efficiency and a lighter workload for those operators.

We can thank Mr. Ford for the ever increasing salaries of TTC operators. There was never ending talk of "the gravy train" at the time, but yet there was more "gravy" made during his time in office.

So this past weekend line 1 was closed from St. Andrew to King. To me it seems like in the past they would have to close from Bloor to St. Andrew.
Is this a shorter closure because of a new switch?

So this past weekend line 1 was closed from St. Andrew to King. To me it seems like in the past they would have to close from Bloor to St. Andrew.
Is this a shorter closure because of a new switch?
Yes, except because it doesn't have signals yet they had to have a work crew out to verify it had switched.

Does anyone have any information on the Jane / St Clair railway underpass? Does anyone know when it was built and whether it was constructed with leftover tiles from the Bloor Danforth subway?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6662...mhD7cOLXD3jepINnuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I can't help but notice the subway-like tiles lining the underpass. It is also the same colour as the nearby Jane Subway Station.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing was constructed close to 1966

Does anyone have any information on the Jane / St Clair railway underpass?
I grew up two blocks from there, used to use it (the old one) every other day to go to friend's place on Pritchard. It was dangerous, as two gangs used to habituate the place: The Smythe Boys, and the Junction Gang. I knew the former well enough to talk myself out of trouble, but it was legendary for 'getting caught' in under there. It was much like the Scarlett Rd bridge, but longer, and with a raised sidewalk...and darker, and sidewalk was only one person wide, either side.

The tiles were not from Jane Station, and not exactly the same colour and type/size anyway. The year of construction? I'd have to Google. Original underpass was just two lanes, btw, it was a major job to do that bridge, and Runnymede.

jane_subway_1954.jpg

Jane Street subway looking north at Dundas Street West. September 6,1954
Toronto Public Library/James V. Salmon Collection

Last edited:
grew up two blocks from there, used to use it (the old one) every other day to go to friend's place on Pritchard. It was dangerous, as two gangs used to habituate the place: The Smythe Boys, and the Junction Gang. I knew the former well enough to talk myself out of trouble, but it was legendary for 'getting caught' in under there. It was much like the Scarlett Rd bridge, but longer, and with a raised sidewalk...and darker, and sidewalk was only one person wide, either side.

Reminds me of how near a former school of mine, a gang would sit by a bridge waiting for students to cross to rob them of their belongings.

Anyone noticed the black coating?

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_145406.jpg
    IMG_20170405_145406.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 115
No it's the outer platform wall on the northbound university platform. Up until now it's been blank concrete. I believe they are preparing for tile installation.

I imagine this is the work that was done over the weekend during the subway closure.

Back