News   Apr 24, 2024
 872     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 599     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Because Washington system is bad shape, there been talk of shutting a line down 100% for up to 6 months or more to fix it like its needs to be. Once done, move on to the next line that needs to be done as well finish off the on going work that has been taking place. Just keep moving from line to line until its all done.

This is an example of poor management and lack of funding. More management from top to bottom.

TTC got its wakeup call in the 90's and number 1 issue at all times these days as well funding it.

The trouble with the TTC is that it is still underfunded. Maybe not as bad as in Washington, but the TTC can't survive on one-time gifts from the federal government, which may not happen the following year, election, or government in charge.

The trouble with the TTC is that it is still underfunded. Maybe not as bad as in Washington, but the TTC can't survive on one-time gifts from the federal government, which may not happen the following year, election, or government in charge.
Singing to the choir, as we all know this, but how do you get Tory to sing too and change his tune???

As long as he tries being Ford, TTC is screw.

What will be his next big Millions project that will come from his mouth and no money going into TTC funds to cover it???

If you set maintenance levels via a long-term maintenance agreement with a 3rd party it would keep politics out of the decision making level. Up front you can set the expectations and monitor it. Politicians would have no say in the ongoing work...only new services (and at that they know the annual future cost so taxpayers can hold them accountable).

Of course you need a LOC or a surety bond to make sure the company doesn't go under (fairly standard in long-term public body contracts around the world)

Interesting MTA video on their road to modernizing the signalling system. After watching I'm now curious as to what the TTC's interlocking machine looks like.

The big green box that they use at all of the local towers appears to be a 1930s design electro-pneumatic system. Similar systems are in use at the 3 USRC towers, in concert with a more modern computerized system in certain locations.

The ones on the early sections of the YUS and the BD are much more "modern" 1950s and 60s electronic systems - think of a big white panel with black lines to indicate the tracks, lights to indicate block occupation and push buttons to activate routings. These are only used in emergency for local control, as all dispatching and routing is done from Hillcrest now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-event-the-rushing-of-the-bankers-keenan.html

Even the Toronto Star thinks that closing the King streetcar in rush hour is crazy. Though they defend other horribly disruptive road closures like "Open Streets" which is severely disruptive. People do work on Saturdays and Sundays Keenan and these disruptive road closures happen at the same time that large parts of the subway are closed for construction. Also this "Open Streets" thing is going to shut down the DVP/Bloor interchange this Sunday I believe.

The TTC, but more importantly the city hall bureaucrats, should experiment with transit malls during street closures during such events.

Far better to cancel these events entirely. These road closures cause a huge amount of disruption and I constantly hear people complaining about it. These events belong in parks, not on major roads.

This Sunday, very large sections of Yonge, Bloor and Danforth will be closed for "Open Streets", "RBC Race for the Kids" and "Toronto Ukrainian Festival". Also there will be no subway service between St. Clair West and Downsview. Although there is no scheduled subway closure on the sections of road where the road closures are scheduled, it will be a disaster if any section of the subway shuts down due to signal failure, police investigation, fire investigation, etc. If roads above the subway are shut down, then the TTC cannot run shuttle buses in the event of the inevitable unscheduled subway closures.

If we allow road closures at all it should be limited to a very small number of major events a few times per year, and very major roads such as Lake Shore, Gardiner and DVP should never be closed for any reason except for construction. These road closures cause such severe disruption that it is a complete nightmare to get anywhere on weekends in Toronto.

Far better to cancel these events entirely. These road closures cause a huge amount of disruption and I constantly hear people complaining about it. These events belong in parks, not on major roads.

This Sunday, very large sections of Yonge, Bloor and Danforth will be closed for "Open Streets", "RBC Race for the Kids" and "Toronto Ukrainian Festival". Also there will be no subway service between St. Clair West and Downsview. Although there is no scheduled subway closure on the sections of road where the road closures are scheduled, it will be a disaster if any section of the subway shuts down due to signal failure, police investigation, fire investigation, etc. If roads above the subway are shut down, then the TTC cannot run shuttle buses in the event of the inevitable unscheduled subway closures.

If we allow road closures at all it should be limited to a very small number of major events a few times per year, and very major roads such as Lake Shore, Gardiner and DVP should never be closed for any reason except for construction. These road closures cause such severe disruption that it is a complete nightmare to get anywhere on weekends in Toronto.

Is it about disruption to the TTC, or is it about your position against road closures in general?

AoD

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-event-the-rushing-of-the-bankers-keenan.html

Even the Toronto Star thinks that closing the King streetcar in rush hour is crazy. Though they defend other horribly disruptive road closures like "Open Streets" which is severely disruptive. People do work on Saturdays and Sundays Keenan and these disruptive road closures happen at the same time that large parts of the subway are closed for construction. Also this "Open Streets" thing is going to shut down the DVP/Bloor interchange this Sunday I believe.

Open Streets is for a few hours, twice a year, on Sunday. They don't disrupt transit because, guess what, there are subways underneath and all major cross-streets are left clear for cars, buses, and streetcars.

TIFF's insistence on closing King to all traffic, even the third busiest transit route in the province (and mucking up the 501/502/514 in the process as Queen gets more congested) for four straight days, is something else.

As for marathons and other running events, I have little problem with them except for the fact that by running north-south through the Downtown core, they block all east-west streetcar and pedestrian/cycling access. Parades have breaks to allow traffic to cross, but running events can't have that! Modified routes to allow some east-west movement is needed.

Open Streets is for a few hours, twice a year, on Sunday. They don't disrupt transit because, guess what, there are subways underneath and all major cross-streets are left clear for cars, buses, and streetcars.

I think the issue is the number of road closures. At some point it becomes impassable for both traffic and bus service.

So this weekend we have:
- RBC Run (North York)
- Open Streets (downtown core)
- Polish Festival (Roncy)
- Ukrainian Festival (Bloor West)

Plus a subway closure. So If I'm coming from the Spadina Line to downtown may people look at N-S or E-W bus service in lieu of the slow replacement bus service. But their terminus will be in the middle of road closures which slows down traffic.

I also wonder why Open Streets has tried to cannibalize other events that encourage lively neighbourhoods and the opportunity to explore other parts of the city. There should be some sort of coordination of these events to make sure they are all on different weekends.

I also wonder why Open Streets has tried to cannibalize other events that encourage lively neighbourhoods and the opportunity to explore other parts of the city. There should be some sort of coordination of these events to make sure they are all on different weekends.
Doesn't just mean that existing events, even if they aren't really very popular or well run any more, can veto new ideas?

I think the issue is the number of road closures. At some point it becomes impassable for both traffic and bus service.

So this weekend we have:
- RBC Run (North York)
- Open Streets (downtown core)
- Polish Festival (Roncy)
- Ukrainian Festival (Bloor West)

Plus a subway closure. So If I'm coming from the Spadina Line to downtown may people look at N-S or E-W bus service in lieu of the slow replacement bus service. But their terminus will be in the middle of road closures which slows down traffic.

Indeed, there are just too many of these events. I won't be surprised when I hear that the "BMO Leisurely Stroll for Thumb Cancer" has shut down half the downtown roads. And ShonTron is right...it's especially the 5K, 10K, and longer runs that really interfere with a lot of routes at once.

Doesn't just mean that existing events, even if they aren't really very popular or well run any more, can veto new ideas?

No....but there should be consideration given to which ones have the most benefit for the least amount of road closures (plus consideration given for older events). Both the Polish and Ukrainian festivals are very busy and celebrate the cultural diversity of Toronto. They also only close down 1 km or roadway (or so) and the streets are packed. Open Streets closes down 10+ km of streets.

Adding one more to the weekend has made it almost impossible to get around (I will go to one of these festivals...Polish last year so Ukrainian this year...but will not otherwise shop which hurts merchants in the city).

The roads department and the TTC should work in tandem to create guidelines as to how many streets can be closed every weekend. I'm OK with 3 of the 4 this weekend. The issue is that Toronto does not close on Sunday anymore and nor should the transportation system (whether it is a bus system or autos so people can do their weekly shopping)

I noticed workers installing new-style shelters on Spadina at King. Anyone know whether this is a one-off, or is all of Spadina getting new shelters?
By new style do you mean the new Astral Media style shelters? I really hope not because those shelters are really a disaster; they dont offer nearly enough protection from the elements compared to the old transit shelters.

Back