News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 886     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

So the current TTC streetcar diversion strategies are not working well. I was very confused yesterday trying to get a 505 Dundas West streetcar at Dundas and Spadina to find four 506 east Main Street streetcars heading west on Dundas. They then turned north on Spadina and loop back on College. Meanwhile, the 511 Bathurst bus going North is diverting on Dundas and then turning left at this intersection as well. Essentially it's taking almost 2 light cycles to get each streetcar through the intersection. This intersection simply cannot functionally handle this demand when coupled with the normal other traffic and pedestrians. I'm wondering why they didn't choose McCaul for the turnback instead.

Spadina is also just getting hammered itself. Queen cars are using Spadina both ways to connect to the diversion on King. Adding in the College diversion simultaneously means that the Spadina line gets slowed unacceptably with cars trying to turn on/off the ROW and make the lefts. Really a mess.
This is the TTC trying to help more customers by having one seat service eastbound from Spadina oppose to McCaul. In return, they end up holding more traffic on an already bad Dundas/Spadina intersection. Dundas to Spadina WB has a no right turn on read regulation making it worst. Turns from the Spadina ROW should be given transit priority which isn't that bad.

TTC ALERT

No streetcar service on St Clair this weekend due to scheduled salsa dancing. Shuttle buses not running :).

IMG_2838.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 582
The TTC is foolish if they dont think fare evasion has increased. I've been using the system for many years, and I know how the system works like the back of my head and there's no doubt in my mind that it has increased. I see it myself on a daily basis in a variety of different ways and POP is just increasing the exploitation.
I suspect the integration of PRESTO is leading to a lot of unintentional fare evasion. One of the struggles of a transition period I guess.

I suspect the integration of PRESTO is leading to a lot of unintentional fare evasion. One of the struggles of a transition period I guess.
The proposed idea that everyone should tap whenever the board a vehicle (at a station or not) will shame those fare evaders. If TTC forces metropass users to tap on POP routes, all fare evaders would stand out.

On a side note, fare inspection at Spadina and Union turns them into choke points. I also wonder if TTC can implement a disable option at all subway station. The driver would disable the presto machines till everyone disembarked so fare evaders wouldn't have the options to tap upon seeing fare inspectors at Spadina Station.

The proposed idea that everyone should tap whenever the board a vehicle (at a station or not) will shame those fare evaders. If TTC forces metropass users to tap on POP routes, all fare evaders would stand out.

On a side note, fare inspection at Spadina and Union turns them into choke points. I also wonder if TTC can implement a disable option at all subway station. The driver would disable the presto machines till everyone disembarked so fare evaders wouldn't have the options to tap upon seeing fare inspectors at Spadina Station.

When I've used the 510 Spadina, there have been times where I've been physically unable to get to the fare machines, or remove my pass from my bag because of crowding. This would especially penalize customers at Harbord and Sussex under crush loads who don't have a chance of being able to pay their fare until the train empties.

If the TTC were to do this, they need to ensure all customers are able to pay their fare all day regardless of crowding

Once everyone is using Presto they should just have Presto machines there that you must tap as you exit the streetcar.

Even the door-attached Presto readers can be difficult to reach when there's crowding at the doors (people often block the readers). And if you have you pass in a bag, it's still challenging to remove your pass.

The TTC has to accept that if they're going to be running vehicles at crush loads, not everyone can pay their fare. This is purely the fault of the TTC, and not an error of their customers.

And this isn't a new phenomena with Presto. For as long as I can remember, TTC has been instructing their operators to let people on for free under crush loads when it's not possible to pay fare. Their first priority is moving Torontonians; the fares can wait.

When I've used the 510 Spadina, there have been times where I've been physically unable to get to the fare machines, or remove my pass from my bag because of crowding. This would especially penalize customers at Harbord and Sussex under crush loads who don't have a chance of being able to pay their fare until the train empties.

If the TTC were to do this, they need to ensure all customers are able to pay their fare all day regardless of crowding
With Presto though, you just tap your car as you enter. Spadina is in theory 100% flexity now, so shouldn't be a problem.

I think what they should do is put in fae gates at the exit area and permanent corals in to keep poel from jumping the line and to help with poel paying with presto to get off the streetcar at those locations. One of the biggest problems I see is anytime I'm at union is when poel see a line they think it's ok to use the exit lane becuase they don't want to wait in line like everyone else.

Screen shot 2016-07-11 at 6.13.14 PM.png
Screen shot 2016-07-11 at 6.13.28 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-11 at 6.13.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-11 at 6.13.14 PM.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 552
  • Screen shot 2016-07-11 at 6.13.28 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-11 at 6.13.28 PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 509
now they have to figure out who much it will cost the parents who are going to have to buy their kids presto cards mow, and what happens with the ones that only use the TTC for a school trip?
The day the free rides for kids ends, it will save everyone money and not to worry about age.

Yes it will cost $6 per child, but if you input the child age correct on day one, there is no need for a photo as they hit certain age levels where fare change as the system will make those changes on those dates. Even with 100% Presto system in place, you can beat the system easy using the reader, but not with the enforcement who are rare to be seen.

Best to have a Presto card even for those who use the system rarely

Instead of an age, they should display the date of birth on the PRESTO card. If no date, the card user will be charged the full fare. If you want the children's fare (free), student's, or senior's discount fare, the date should be displayed.

The schools could arrange to have PRESTO photos set up for the kids starting in kindergarten or Grade 1. Those kids who are home schooled will have to have a field trip to TTC headquarters or wherever they'll set up their photo-ID office.

Back