News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 868     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I don't think that's the case. You occasionally see them running from Bathurst station to St Clair West.

They actually make that run frequently, not occasionally, as that is the only way for 512 cars to enter and exit service.

And as discussed, I believe, a couple of pages ago, the reason is not that they can't make it up with passengers, but that one CLRV cannot push another CLRV up the hill if it becomes disabled. Of course, still potentially an issue just entering/exiting service, but less likely without passengers (less motor strain getting up the hill?) and less of a potential disruption with no passengers using the route.

And as discussed, I believe, a couple of pages ago, the reason is not that they can't make it up with passengers, but that one CLRV cannot push another CLRV up the hill if it becomes disabled..

It was that a CLRV could not push a dead ALRV up the hill. A CLRV could push another CLRV. I don't know where people get the idea that the cars can't make it up the hill with passengers. As a couple of others have said the St Clair cars going into service do it every day. Fully loaded Peter Witt cars were running up and down that hill until 1963.

The O-Train vehicles in Ottawa are former DB/Bavarian Railways DMUs. The buttons still say 'bitte drucken'

The original 3 were, or more precisely, redirected from a DB order. The current ones are purpose-built for the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The original 3 were, or more precisely, redirected from a DB order. The current ones are purpose-built for the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The new ones were purpose built, but they're still built in Germany, based on DB specifications. The paint is almost the same as DB, the seats are the DB patterns, and although the buttons don't say "Bitte Drucken" anymore, there are a number of German labels inside and outside the trains. Most prominently, the emergency brake handles inside which read "Misbrauch Strafbar" (Abuses Punishable). Even Ottawa's new LRT trains, with no DB connection, have the same blue square seat fabric used by DB, which I'm sure will make an interesting historical factoid some day.

When the Sersa machine was in Ottawa, I wondered who at OC Transpo had always dreamed of running a German railway, because they're getting close.

Huh... I haven't used the Otrain since 2010. When did the new order arrive?

New trains were delivered in the summer of 2013, but due to delays getting the track and signals ready, entered service March 2nd, 2015.

Super general question,

would a full Environmental Assessment (TPAP) be required for BRT lines? An EA for something that often amounts to new lines painted on a road seems like a bit much.

They have started to build the new retaining wall at the EX loop and it is tall as the existing fencing that was on top of the old one. This will act as a sound barrier to keep the residents happy some what on the north side of the rail corridor. Noticed Metrolinx not building a sound barrier on the north of their RR corridor for these residents.

A video on...
"Rapid transit - a vital link in a balanced transportation system"

A short documentary about the advantages of rapid transit for urban transportation. Includes descriptions of the forthcoming Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system for San Francisco.

For those who may be interested, a quick clip of the Sersa Rail Grinder in action earlier this evening on College St at Dovercourt.

From The Star, at this link:

TTC board member resigns

Maureen Adamson sent board chair Josh Colle her resignation by email on Monday, the Star has learned.

A citizen member of the TTC board has abruptly resigned.

Maureen Adamson sent board chair Josh Colle her resignation by email on Monday, the Star has learned, after taking a job as Ontario’s deputy minister of tourism, culture, and sport.

Her resignation is effective immediately, said Colle. Her term was to end on Dec. 31, 2016, and Colle said he hoped to appoint a replacement as soon as possible.

In an interview, Adamson told the Star that she decided to leave the board so that she could devote herself to her role in the ministry, which she began on Apr. 11. Although she said a provincial official determined that her serving on the board while also being a deputy minister would pose no conflict of interest, Adamson was concerned about the perception of dual loyalties.

“I would rather be in a position to completely do my job as deputy 100 per cent, than to have to recuse myself from any matters that could be integral to the province,” she said.

Adamson, the former chief administrative officer for Women’s College Hospital, was one of four citizen members of the 11-member board; the seven other commissioners are city councillors. She was also one of only two women on the body, and her resignation leaves Councillor Shelley Carroll as the sole female member.

Adamson, who served as vice-chair of the transit agency from 2012 to early 2015, wasn’t initially recommended by the city’s civic appointments committee for reappointment to the board in May 2015. But councillors added her name to the list after the Star reported on the lack of diversity in the committee’s initial picks, who were all men.

Asked Tuesday if she hoped a woman would take her place on the commission, Adamson said “100 per cent.”

“I think anyone who knows anything about good governance knows that skills are extremely important and gender balance and diversity are equally as important,” she said.

“Let’s face it, if you look at the composition of the board right now, it is largely middle aged white males and Shelley Carroll and myself. So there’s a gap.”

Citizen board members receive compensation of $5,000 a year, plus a $450 per diem for attending each board meeting.

Please, make sure the next new TTC board member actually uses the TTC. Ditto for the Councillors on the board, in the future.

For those who may be interested, a quick clip of the Sersa Rail Grinder in action earlier this evening on College St at Dovercourt.

Man, that thing gets around.

I noticed it was LHD but had UK plates (specifically, YK for Yorkshire, so probably registered at Sersa UK's location in Doncaster).

Here it is at the Bombardier test track in Kingston.

BBD%20JUNE%201.jpg

Back