News   May 07, 2024
 424     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 386     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 880     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

there announcing another change to it. it will be a single track and every 15th train into kenedy will continue to STC. ;)

Haha, maybe. Or possibly they'll continue the line up to Sheppard as originally promised. But instead remove all stations completely - even the terminus. So Scarb gets its subway, it's just that they don't get to use it.

Regardless, the tone of tmr's Agenda preview made it seem like there will be gladhanding about how the current proposal is without a doubt the best decision for Scarb ever - and as far as I ca tell much of the online and media community shares this sentiment. This doesn't make any sense to me. Sure the Crosstown extn to UTSC is a major bonus of the new plan. But removing the Lawrence East subway station is simply...ridiculous. And what's even more ridiculous is having a high-speed commuter fantasy line (ST/RER) make local stops as if it were rapid transit; but simultaneously make an RT line (SSE) double as med/long haul commuter line.

A six km station spacing through Toronto - or anywhere for that matter - is backward, unprecedented, and is almost unheard of anywhere else. I can't help but think an ultimate endgame in all of this is to kill off the SSE project for good. Perhaps rebuilt Mk1 or Mk2 will be making a comeback for the SRT corridor. Using Flexities never made much sense to me anyway - seems overly costly and unnecessary when the line will clearly be a standalone grade-separared line and not a typical "LRT". London Docklands Light Railway built a phenomenal and ever-expanding system using a similar mode - and I don't think anyone would ever call it "LRT'. Really it's a fully grade-separated RT line (aka a subway - just one using smaller vehicles).

And as much a as I think the proposal floated by Gweed and professionals like Ed Levy to use the SRT corridor to run a spur to STC (and beyond) can work, and has merit. There's far too little info on what exactly RER is. If Tory or McWyntyLinx proposes this, I can't imagine it going over well. Think about it: if a fully grade-separated light metro solution was frowned upon by Scarberians (a system many cities would kill to have), then I highly doubt a semi-frequent 2-floor train with carpeting and reeking like SaniFlush bathrooms would go over well. Ford wouldn't just become mayor again; he'd be crowned King of Scarboro.

Sorry if this goes off topic, but I couldn't find the correct thread to post this question in.

Does anyone know or have any information about the Scarborough RT in terms of speed limits? Entering Stations and Exiting Stations?

Just building a simulator that needs some data to be put in.

thanks in advance.

@smallspy or @Duck would probably know. I was earlier flipping through my notes about the 1985 "DRL" line. And it says that ICTS has a maximum speed of 88km/h. Using a minimum headway of 90sec, capacity is 18,800pph at Level of Service E using six cars. Not sure how useful that would be, or if you can figure out acceleration/deceleration/dwell using those numbers. Google can probably help you find old reports on the GO-ALRT program, which more than likely would include info about ICTS (considering they came about from the same crown corp and share similarities).

Last edited:
Sorry if this goes off topic, but I couldn't find the correct thread to post this question in.

Does anyone know or have any information about the Scarborough RT in terms of speed limits? Entering Stations and Exiting Stations?

Just building a simulator that needs some data to be put in.

thanks in advance.
Look at http://transit.toronto.on.ca/ and http://stevemunro.ca/ lots on the RT on both sites.

Bulk of the ridership is south of Eglinton to Queen outside of events at the CNE.

You could run express between those points with the remaining stops been local or have the buses loop at X point and not run the full route. You will have to have a stop for the Dufferin Mall with the south stop been the one.

Need to get rid of the first southbound stop south of Bloor.
But that's also because for people coming across Wilson , why would they get off at dufferin when they can stay on and get the subway at Wilson station and then go south? Same with those going across Lawrence. My son gets on the Lawrence bus and off at St Clair West and then hops on streetcar. He could just as easily get off at Dufferin, hop on Dufferin and then streetcar

Haha, maybe. Or possibly they'll continue the line up to Sheppard as originally promised. But instead remove all stations completely - even the terminus. So Scarb gets its subway, it's just that they don't get to use it.

Regardless, the tone of tmr's Agenda preview made it seem like there will be gladhanding about how the current proposal is without a doubt the best decision for Scarb ever - and as far as I ca tell much of the online and media community shares this sentiment. This doesn't make any sense to me. Sure the Crosstown extn to UTSC is a major bonus of the new plan. But removing the Lawrence East subway station is simply...ridiculous. And what's even more ridiculous is having a high-speed commuter fantasy line (ST/RER) make local stops as if it were rapid transit; but simultaneously make an RT line (SSE) double as med/long haul commuter line.

A six km station spacing through Toronto - or anywhere for that matter - is backward, unprecedented, and is almost unheard of anywhere else. I can't help but think an ultimate endgame in all of this is to kill off the SSE project for good. Perhaps rebuilt Mk1 or Mk2 will be making a comeback for the SRT corridor. Using Flexities never made much sense to me anyway - seems overly costly and unnecessary when the line will clearly be a standalone grade-separared line and not a typical "LRT". London Docklands Light Railway built a phenomenal and ever-expanding system using a similar mode - and I don't think anyone would ever call it "LRT'. Really it's a fully grade-separated RT line (aka a subway - just one using smaller vehicles).

And as much a as I think the proposal floated by Gweed and professionals like Ed Levy to use the SRT corridor to run a spur to STC (and beyond) can work, and has merit. There's far too little info on what exactly RER is. If Tory or McWyntyLinx proposes this, I can't imagine it going over well. Think about it: if a fully grade-separated light metro solution was frowned upon by Scarberians (a system many cities would kill to have), then I highly doubt a semi-frequent 2-floor train with carpeting and reeking like SaniFlush bathrooms would go over well. Ford wouldn't just become mayor again; he'd be crowned King of Scarboro.
But I am sure the host (Steve) will ask the right questions about that 1 stop to STC, I saw another episode once and he brought up the subway planned for Scarborough and alluted to what people were saying (not warranted). This was the proposal before prior to election in Ontario in 2014

I had an interesting subway ride yesterday despite missing out on the racoon.

This was a regular sight in Barcelona for me last year, and I loved it! There was a 3 piece band walking through the metro on my way downtown from the airport that had people smiling and enjoying the ride.

Saw the same thing when we took the metro in Barcelona too -- it was amazing watching them set up and dismantle in seconds (and pass a hat for donations). I got the impression that it isn't exactly legal :)

I had an interesting subway ride yesterday despite missing out on the racoon.

I've never seen anything like that in all my years of taking the subway in this city, that was very pleasant to listen to. But there are 2 things I want to know: 1) What was with the pathetic amount of applause after he was done, are people that scared to show the guy some appreciation? and 2) How did he keep his balance like that? That section between Davisville and Eglinton isnt necessarily the straightest section of track in the system

Not sure anyone posted that the TTC are running a SURVEY. Link from TTC front page: www.ttc.ca

Service Standards Survey
We are reviewing our service standards. As part of the review, we want your input on what influences your travel choices.

When I got off the streetcar this morning at Union - there was two fare officers. I showed I had a presto card, one waved me through, the other stopped, me grabbed there phone and then waved me through without scanning the presto card. Are they unable to scan presto cards there ?

Back