286     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 542     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 904     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Bunny with 'pink dye on her back' rescued from TTC subway tracks

See link.

A pet bunny, with parts of its fur dyed pink, was rescued from the tracks at a subway station in downtown Toronto last week.

The rabbit was spotted at the Rosedale subway station on March 8, but Lousi Mokhtarians, one of Rabbit Rescue Inc.’s volunteers, told CTV News Toronto the rabbit had been living in the station for a while.

“Apparently the bunny was there around two weeks, from someone who saw the bunny while walking there. The same bunny with the pink dye on her back, so I think that she was originally dumped around the area and made her way into the tracks,” she said.
Mokhtarians, who has rescued several rabbits in Toronto, said this rabbit survived for as long as it did because she is smart and knew when to hide.

“She was dodging the trains every second. She knew where to hide, but she was very scared,” she said. “She knew exactly when the trains were coming. She would just go under [to] an area where she couldn’t be hit by the trains.”

Haviva Porter, the executive director of Rabbit Rescue Inc., said the bunny is “really lucky” she wasn’t killed. “Miracle, actually,” she added.

While the rescue team couldn’t find her at the station on March 8, another video that was sent to Mokhtarians the next day revealed her hiding spot.

“So, me and two other volunteers went down and saw the bunny on the tracks. It was just running around there,” she said.

Since they couldn’t go on the tracks themselves, track workers were called down to help, and they came about an hour later.

“We had eyes on the bunny, so we knew where it was hiding,” Mokhtarians said. “So, we just told them, ‘Okay, the bunny’s in here.’”

The rabbit was hiding in a hole under the subway tracks, Mokhtarians said, and after bits of banana were laid out, she immediately came out.

“They love bananas,” she said, adding she gave a net to one of the track workers who caught the bunny. “He just took my net, then caught the bunny. He was very fast and very successful. We put her in a carrier and now I have her with me now, so she’s going to be here until she’s adopted by someone hopefully.”

Stuart Green, a spokesperson for the TTC, confirmed to CTV News Toronto that the track maintenance crew had rescued the rabbit from the tracks at around 8:30 p.m. last Thursday, and that service was not impacted.

Rosedale, the bunny’s nickname, has been “very friendly” since she was brought into her care, Mokhtarians said.

“We’re getting her spayed, vaccinated, she’s fortunately in really good health,” Porter said. After Rosedale gets her vaccinations, she will be up for adoption, though applications to adopt her can already be made.

How Rosedale ended up on the subway tracks is unknown to both Porter and Mokhtarians, though they speculate the rabbit was either a kid’s pet or was used for an elaborate gender reveal party.

“I don’t think we’ll ever know, but it’s a possibility [..] I don’t know why else anyone would spray paint the bunny,” Porter said.

Not a rodent.

Rabbits and hares were formerly classified in the order Rodentia (rodent) until 1912, when they were moved into a new order, Lagomorpha (which also includes pikas).

Last edited:
This evening a person was smoking meth openly in my train car. All the way from Finch to Bloor without anyone triggering the alarm. I’m starting to think that we are on the cusp of much more problematic issues that will be arising soon.

Non-snark question; if that greatly concerns you, and I understand why it would, why did you not press the alarm?

Non-snark question; if that greatly concerns you, and I understand why it would, why did you not press the alarm?
I’m just pointing out the brazeness that people are becoming. I did not feel unsafe at any point of my time aboard.

I’ll be honest, the selfish answer is that I was running late for an appointment already.

Would you press the alarm?

I’m just pointing out the brazeness that people are becoming. I did not feel unsafe at any point of my time aboard.

I’ll be honest, the selfish answer is that I was running late for an appointment already.

If you witness something similar again, you might want to consider texting the "TTC incident report" line at 647-496-1940

The honest answer; maybe.

If it was before 10'ish at night; making that exact trip; I think I would probably phone TTC; just before Rosedale, tell them what car I was on, direction, location, and ask for Special constables to meet the train at Bloor. Then, I'd exit at Bloor and go about my business.

Somewhat selfish, I admit, but it would satisfy my desire not to be held up, and making sure someone did something.

I recall seeing something similar a few months back, except the person(s) in question were at Wellesley, on the platform and I was on a NB train and could see them through the window.

I chose not to press the alarm at that moment, instead, when exiting at Bloor, I found a TTC supervisor and told them what I saw and they immediate radio'd for the constables, thanked me, and I went down to Line 2 to continue my trip.

People have become wimps to the point they close their eyes to things going on around them that is wrong or illegally as they don't want to get involved in it or do something about it. Yet, these folks will be first ones rising hell over x in a public form or the news media.

I have stepped in a number of times on things to the point I have been a witness against the person that has been charge over the matter. Been on buses/subway where the driver stop it and wouldn't move until the person got off the bus. They have contacted control as well over it. That person either has gotten off themselves or has been removed by staff or enforcers

As long people refused to get involved, the offenders will keep on doing it and taken more advantage doing so. Yes, you need to watchout for yourself and others when doing something as they end up causing a greater risk to every one and why you need to inform someone or call 911

TTC keeps saying "See something, report it". So unless you report it or hitting that stripe, not helping the safety of riders on the system.

People have become wimps to the point they close their eyes to things going on around them that is wrong or illegally as they don't want to get involved in it or do something about it.
Or they've stopped being wimps who waste everyone's time having a meltdown over it.

My experience with it is - the moment you press the alarm you became the a**hole, not whomever is violating the bylaws. What it shows is - it really shouldn't be on the onus of riders because the resistance to acting is quite high (definitely not for the thin-skinned). Also the old adage - it is no one's responsibility when it is everyone's responsibility.

AoD

My experience with it is - the moment you press the alarm you became the a**hole, not whomever is violating the bylaws. What it shows is - it really shouldn't be on the onus of riders because the resistance to acting is quite high. Also the old adage - it is no one's responsibility when it is everyone's responsibility.

AoD
The 'problem' is really that something worth (or demanding) an alarm being pushed is different for different people. Some will push it for an event that only they are bothered by, some will never push it.

The 'problem' is really that something worth (or demanding) an alarm being pushed is different for different people. Some will push it for an event that only they are bothered by, some will never push it.

That too - the cynic in me would say that it it meant to cover their rears, not actual improvement to safety.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
My experience with it is - the moment you press the alarm you became the a**hole, not whomever is violating the bylaws. What it shows is - it really shouldn't be on the onus of riders because the resistance to acting is quite high (definitely not for the thin-skinned). Also the old adage - it is no one's responsibility when it is everyone's responsibility.

AoD

It would be better having a TTC guard or security on each rapid transit train, who will look after the misbehaviour of patrons. While a parent may look after the behaviour of their little "brats", the grown-up "brats" need someone of authority looking after them.

Back