News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I understand what you're getting at; but let me offer, most media outlets in Toronto have reporters who are not transit geeks, don't read Steve Munro's site, or Urban Toronto with any regularity, if at all.
But that's what we call "proper research", where you go through all of the documents, sift through the opinions of expert, and get a more complete pictures, rather than crapping half baked impressions. This is what the job of the media outlets is supposed to be, and the fact that we're giving it a pass because "they're not experts" is exactly the fundamental issue with legacy media and why it's slowly dying out.

But that's what we call "proper research", where you go through all of the documents, sift through the opinions of expert, and get a more complete pictures, rather than crapping half baked impressions. This is what the job of the media outlets is supposed to be, and the fact that we're giving it a pass because "they're not experts" is exactly the fundamental issue with legacy media and why it's slowly dying out.

I didn't give anyone a free pass, I have no idea where you got that from.

The point was to affect change you have to use the tools available to you, and the MSM remains one tool to shifting what priorities get political attention.

Further, what I was stating is you can't expect media to simply carry a story because you want them to; or to do a good job; you need to supply sufficient facts to grab their attention and make saying 'yes' to the story easier.

Signal problems again on University. Thought this was a problem of the past with ATC and track upgrades?

Ended up walking from St. Andrew to my destination on Queen West. Arrived at the exact same time as the streetcar. Not a single WB car in 20+ minutes of walking. An amazing transit system.

Signal problems again on University. Thought this was a problem of the past with ATC and track upgrades?

Ended up walking from St. Andrew to my destination on Queen West. Arrived at the exact same time as the streetcar. Not a single WB car in 20+ minutes of walking. An amazing transit system.

In reference to the streetcar, on King or Queen?

Edit, I will guess not Queen, as it seem unusually well spaced this AM in the core:

1670940925036.png

Lets see King:

1670940999955.png

Definitely some gapping going on....

1670941163838.png

16 and 19M gaps!

Last edited:
Cross post

I shot a video of Amsterdam new R-NET 110 M5 Alstom Konstal (2012-?) 6 Car Articulated Train Interior that use longitarsal seating with a few single seats for accessibility area without a view screen look since the screen was dead . You will note a few riders have their feet on the poles to stop people walking in front of them. Most Metro/Subway trains in Europe have far more poles than we do as well 3-4 gab bars on those poles.

Is this something riders will like from what we have today??? Not a fan of Europe seating arrangement

I’ve never understood why condo developers aren’t required to provide a mass transit station as part of the development.
How exactly would that work??? Do you foresee a row of condo buildings all with mass transit stations in their basements then asking 'the government' to build a subway or LRT line to actually serve them? Of course, developers should provide $$ to help building transit (and other things) to serve their new residents and that's what "Development Charges" are supposed to do. Of course, The Thug is abolishing/reducing these charges so there will soon be LESS money available.

How exactly would that work??? Do you foresee a row of condo buildings all with mass transit stations in their basements then asking 'the government' to build a subway or LRT line to actually serve them? Of course, developers should provide $$ to help building transit (and other things) to serve their new residents and that's what "Development Charges" are supposed to do. Of course, The Thug is abolishing/reducing these charges so there will soon be LESS money available.

@DSC

He may be referring to a transit hub like Queens Quay LRT Station. It is a station on its own however they would only need to build a new development on top of an existing line to add a new station.

Imagine building a new condo on Gerrard St East. You could build a new station mid-block at a condo sort of like what was done at North York Centre.

Something finally happening, I understand that the plans are being integrated into the planned new development at 55 Yonge Street. (See: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-55-yonge-236-21m-66s-h-r-reit-partisans.32133/ )

View attachment 444932View attachment 444933
What would be the over/under for the date of this being completed?
It says "2024" in the notice, so I will go with a betting firm setting it at 6/30/2026 as the option date for earlier/later. And I would take later.

There has been no vision for having something built above subway station or provision for it from day one as well connecting to anything. Access was to/from the stations by stairs to/from the street sidewalks only. Over the decades, TTC has moved to have connection to existing building to allow for access flow as well having elevators than has seen the removal of street stair access. Only a few of those stairs exist today as most are now connected to buildings around the stations..

It hard to put a development over a station when it is under the road in the first place or TTC has a bus terminal over it. Then, it will take some work to build over a bus terminal and can be done if the will is there and TTC is on board with it. TTC will get air right income from that development. Its also hard to develop something over a station when its in a low density area in the first place as well the backlash from the NIMBY folks.

I am assuming developers in the old days saw no need to built next to a station since most ppl wanted to live in suburbia than the downtown or near a subway station.

Not every station is going to see development over night and will take a number of decades to do it if property can be had for it. It is very costly and time consuming to build over existing TTC subway station and tunnels. Only have to look at the amount of work that took place for North York Centre Station, Exhibit Condo and 475 Yonge St just to name a few examples. No box was very built for the North York station.

When the Yonge Line was built in the 40's, existing building dictated the placement of the stations and access to/from them.

At the end of the day, development will happen if there is a good return on the investment do it as well where it fits in the development master plan for all their projects.

What would be the over/under for the date of this being completed?
It says "2024" in the notice, so I will go with a betting firm setting it at 6/30/2026 as the option date for earlier/later. And I would take later.
It would be more like 2027/28 for completion "IF" construction started in 2024. Just keep adding a year to each year that the start date is move down the road to get your end date year. You are talking about an 66 story tower on an existing building.

It would be more like 2027/28 for completion "IF" construction started in 2024. Just keep adding a year to each year that the start date is move down the road to get your end date year. You are talking about an 66 story tower on an existing building.
Yes, the proposed new 55 Yonge is 66 stories but it is NOT building on top of what is there now - that is 'toast and will be demolished'.

Yes, the proposed new 55 Yonge is 66 stories but it is NOT building on top of what is there now - that is 'toast and will be demolished'.
It show how out dated I am for this year with a huge backlog of projects to shoot that are almost 2 years between visits. I must be thinking of another site that was to have a tower built over it on Yonge. Unless its heritage, some of those existing building should be replace from the ground up.

With this been next to TTC tunnel, expect a setback for any shoring as TTC doesn't want things to have an impact on the tunnel wall unless a connection to the King Station can be had.

Back