News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

True but no doubt most people would prefer a lengthy closure compared to a few weekends every month. Taking almost a decade to get signals installed should not be happening, the TTC should be biting the bullet to install the infrastructure with a 10 day closure.

If the John Q. Public are told that the subway will be closed for 10 days to install signals making their commute better I doubt they will have issues with it.

I wonder if the TTC is starting to see the benefit of extended closures though. They closed Chester for 10 days and they also closed the university line for 10 days once before. It seems like they are more open to the idea now compared to when they closed Pape for weeks to reno the station.
You've totally missed the point, Richard. It's not just 10 days. That would simply be the physical install. There still needs to be programming, testing and modification after that.

In reality it would be more like a 10 day closure. Then, 3 weeks later, a weekend closure. Then another weekend closure. After another 2 weeks, one more weekend closure. Maybe one more after that one, too.

All of a sudden, that isn't looking so much different than what is happening today, is it?

Dan

You've totally missed the point, Richard. It's not just 10 days. That would simply be the physical install. There still needs to be programming, testing and modification after that.

In reality it would be more like a 10 day closure. Then, 3 weeks later, a weekend closure. Then another weekend closure. After another 2 weeks, one more weekend closure. Maybe one more after that one, too.

All of a sudden, that isn't looking so much different than what is happening today, is it?

Dan
I don’t think he’s missing the point at all. That 10 day closure should avoid a lot of weekend closures, and accelerate the project’s completion time. If the subsequent weekend closures can’t be avoided, then so be it, but if installation can be accelerated, we should accelerate it.

I don’t think he’s missing the point at all. That 10 day closure should avoid a lot of weekend closures, and accelerate the project’s completion time. If the subsequent weekend closures can’t be avoided, then so be it, but if installation can be accelerated, we should accelerate it.

Exactly. Close for 10 days to install then weekend closures to test the system.

Most of the heavy lifting is the installation of the cables, signals, etc. Closing for 10 days to install the infrastructure will mean alot less weekend closures later on.

They may be able to complete the physical installs of the ATC over the course of a 10 day closure, but it would still require several weeks of programming and then several additional closures to test and correct that programming.

Not necessarily stating that it shouldn't be done - but more that it would be beyond the scope of just a 10 day closure.

The underground river is still a problem there long-term, but they have replaced much of the ties, ballast and rail through that section over the past 5 years and so it's in pretty good shape for the time being. There will still be a need to make some sort of permanent improvement through the area, but it's no longer as dire as it was 8 years ago.

Dan

Yellow Creek is under there; but piped/encased.

Is it leaking?

Update received today on the AV shuttle trial:

Capture.JPG

After so many years of the Lightspell artwork left turned off. It’s been turned on! The message displayed is “kindness.” My pictures don’t do justice on how much more brightly lit the platform is.
View attachment 305112
View attachment 305113

I presume they have limited what can be said?

I would shudder to think of the things people would use it to display... things that cannot be said on this forum without raising eyebrows.

Undoubtedly THEY can vary it, WE can't. The fact that we could vary it initially was why it was switched off - though how anyone thought this would not be a problem still puzzles me!
Well the European artist who created this clearly had no issues with it. Then again Europe isn’t quite as litigious as we are here when it comes to common sense and what might be art.

Well the European artist who created this clearly had no issues with it. Then again Europe isn’t quite as litigious as we are here when it comes to common sense and what might be art.
The problem here was that when it was unveiled several years ago TTC customers were putting in obscene or other unwelcome messages/words. I like the concept but am afraid this was probably inevitable and am not sure it is to do with "litigiousness". . Not quite sure why the TTC were surprised or why it took them several years to just adjust it so that only authorised people could put in words.

Back