News   Apr 23, 2024
 135     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 624     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 423     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Also: https://ontarioconstructionnews.com...-on-ttcs-line-1-subway-enhancement-program-2/

1612306706283.png

With the drilling at HBC, trying to see if both 2 Bloor E and HBC can be torn down to support a 100+ floor tower and improve both subway connections better than it is today

I'm not an engineer but wouldn't they have to dig down at least 100 feet for the pylons and supports if they are to build a tower of that size?

Depending on where they built the bloody thing this could be a disaster on an epic scale..

HDR-Gannett Fleming team selected as program consultant for TTC’s Line 2 Subway Capacity Enhancement program

With the drilling at HBC, trying to see if both 2 Bloor E and HBC can be torn down to support a 100+ floor tower and improve both subway connections better than it is today

FFS, there is no need for 100+ Floors.

That's not ecologically, nor economically sound.

IF you remove both HBC and 2 Bloor, it would make far more sense to have 2 towers than one, hell w/that foot print cleared, one might even argue for 3 towers.

I knew something big was in the works here; and reported as much some time ago............but I hadn't heard that what was being discussed........

I'm not an engineer but wouldn't they have to dig down at least 100 feet for the pylons and supports if they are to build a tower of that size?

Depending on where they built the bloody thing this could be a disaster on an epic scale..

I know you're prone to hyperbole...............but on what basis is a deep foundation a risk here? Particularly on an 'epic' scale?

I actually dislike the idea of 100+ Floors as I don't see it as ecologically or economically sensible.

But I don't see it as dangerous.

I know you're prone to hyperbole...............but on what basis is a deep foundation a risk here? Particularly on an 'epic' scale?

I actually dislike the idea of 100+ Floors as I don't see it as ecologically or economically sensible.

But I don't see it as dangerous.

I was thinking of two things:

One is how will they build a deep foundation for a new tower when the station is directly beneath the existing one. They can't just dig down through the station.

Secondly... isn't there a needed depth for the footings to make the tower stable relating to the height?

I was thinking of two things:

One is how will they build a deep foundation for a new tower when the station is directly beneath the existing one. They can't just dig down through the station.

Secondly... isn't there a needed depth for the footings to make the tower stable relating to the height?

1) First off, they could, in theory, dig through the station, though that is neither practical, nor necessary. The station is there now, the complex is there now, the foundation of the complex has a relationship to the station now.

Rebuilding the complex with deeper/stronger foundations, modified to allow for the expanded station does not pose any particular obstacle technically; only a financial question about whether the cost is worthwhile.

2) Sure, why is that a concern? If they are rebuilding they will have a foundation/footings down to the correct level to support whatever structure they build. Its not as if no one has ever built that high..........including in this City.

I'm not sure what Brookfield has in mind here, but I'm not worried they will build anything dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
We’re maybe going to get the BD extension to Sheppard and the Ontario Line. But everything else seems like wishful thinking given our Province’s history.
I was about to say the same. 2031 is a bit optimistic. 2035 is a more realistic date for all these to be in service.

Back