News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 571     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The new signal system has the ability to allow non-ATC-equipped trains to run through it. Much like the original wayside signalling system, it is configured into blocks that are delineated by the wayside signals. But as each block is much, much larger than the those of the old wayside system, that also means that operating non-equipped equipment greatly reduces the throughput and capacity of the system.

In an emergency such as this, that isn't really that big an issue. But it certainly precludes the ability to do so in regular service, as the trains would have to be so widely spaced apart as to be a problem.

Dan
That makes sense, and since there was no service running between Museum and St. Patrick that wouldn't be an issue to bring these trains over. Thanks!

Via reddit:

I haven't seen smoking inside the station proper, much less on trains for ages. Guess it is getting laissez faire again. And in this instance, as much as pulling the alarm may seem excessive, it is the only suitable course of action.

AoD
I haven't seen someone light up a cigarette on the TTC in a long time, but a joint is something I see every now and then. Usually as soon as the person leaves the train and jumps onto the platform, rather than on the train itself. So there is some decency there at least?

More than six hours after a maintain vehicle partially derailed, there is still no subway service on line 1 between St. Clair West and Union. People still getting on shuttle buses outside St. George Station.

https://www.cp24.com/news/work-car-...uspend-service-on-portion-of-line-1-1.4809825

Mayor John Tory apologized to commuters for the inconvenience this morning.
"It was the worst possible time for that to happen," he said at city hall on Thursday morning. "There will be a of course a complete investigation into why it happened.

:rolleyes: And there will be of course nothing much done about it.

AoD

Oops... looks like we need another apology.

TTC says service has resumed on Line 1 between St. Clair West and St. Andrew stations after a more than six-hour delay due to work car derailment.

The TTC now says service has not resumed on Line 1 between St. Clair West and St. Andrew stations. Alerts sent by the TTC moments ago were sent to news organizations and the public in error.

Oops... looks like we need another apology.

TTC says service has resumed on Line 1 between St. Clair West and St. Andrew stations after a more than six-hour delay due to work car derailment.

The TTC now says service has not resumed on Line 1 between St. Clair West and St. Andrew stations. Alerts sent by the TTC moments ago were sent to news organizations and the public in error.

Couldn't even do restoration of service messages right. :rolleyes:

AoD

Having Vincent yard stocked with either a bunch of T1-ATC trainsets or some additional TRs as an "oh crap we just had something go boom south of Wilson" surge fleet would have been pretty handy. Even if T1s can edge onto the non-ATC after Feb 22, their usefulness in having to turn around at Queen for service purposes (and further north as additional sections are commissioned) seems to be just inviting future crunches.

Having 20 more streetcars to give the flexibility to run streetcars north of Bathurst Station and west to a 512 turnback loop to relieve some pressure on the Bathurst bus wouldn't be any harm either, but I suspect we'll see ATCed T1s sooner than more streetcars...

The Toronto Way.
And where is the head honcho? Nowhere to be seen or heard from. Andy Byford would have been down there in the subway doing the rounds with the staff and even on the street. At least with his presence, it seemed like he cared about keeping everyone informed and moral support to the staff.
Edit: He finally appeared to make a statement.

:rolleyes: And there will be of course nothing much done about it.

AoD
Oh something will be done alright; the TTC will probably instate some ridiculous policy to cripple subway service by imposing some speed restriction across 1/3 of the network because of their new fear of derailments.

I'll be monitoring the situation very closely with subway speeds across special trackwork, because I have strong suspicions they may be cooking something up. I dont know this for fact so I cant say this is the case, but i'm extremely suspicious right now.

That is a rare sight these days.

A rarer sight is a T1 being spotted in the extension to Vaughan.

Given where the derailment occurred it wouldn't have been possible to send T1s to Vaughan. You would have needed to send T1s to Spadina into the Wye then crossover at St George to head back north.

The derailment was on the crossover at St George.

The T1s also have a hard time running over ATC tracks given they are not retrofitted for ATC.

The best we could have hoped for was a return of the Danforth-University-Yonge line with the T1s

Given where the derailment occurred it wouldn't have been possible to send T1s to Vaughan. You would have needed to send T1s to Spadina into the Wye then crossover at St George to head back north.

The derailment was on the crossover at St George.

The T1s also have a hard time running over ATC tracks given they are not retrofitted for ATC.
I meant sometime in the future, not in the present.

Back