News   Jul 15, 2024
 743     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 897     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 631     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Very simple, keeping crews on schedule is more important than getting riders to where they want to go sooner than later. Riders don't count these days. If TTC figure it out what they save in overtime vs the cost of inconveniencing riders at a fix cost per rider, rider cost would be 15+ times the saving of overtime. 1,000 x $15/10 = $1,500 vs $100 for a driver. You need to add wait time if a rider miss their connection by these crew changes to rider cost also.

3 crew changes is coming the standard for changes in the west and wait tell they short your train once or twice to Islington as well a crew change. Islington, Young, Bay and St George have the fastest change over point in the west.

And they recently renewed the union contract....as I understand it without any increased flexibility with respect to overtime. Because the TTC is about employees first and not customers first! (....a bit harsh I know)

How many private drivers have contracts which penalize you on a per day basis? (greyhound, truckers, etc)

TTC working to resolve bike rack concerns following Ministry of Labour order

From link:

On October 16, the Ontario Ministry of Labour ordered Toronto Transit Commission bike racks not be used on two of its bus types – the Nova Articulated and Orion VII buses – effective immediately due to concerns around sight lines when the bike racks are in use. These buses make up the majority of the TTC’s bus fleet.

The TTC is working with the Ministry of Labour to resolve this matter. As a first step, the TTC will be locking out all bike racks from the Nova Articulated bus fleet. Customers with bicycles will be invited to board these buses with their bikes, provided there is room on the vehicle to do so at the time.

The Orion VII bus issue revolves around bicycles that have large accessories that, when positioned on the rack, could impede sight lines for an operator.

The TTC will seek an engineered solution for both fleet types to ensure continued and safe use of bicycle racks on its buses.

Very simple, keeping crews on schedule is more important than getting riders to where they want to go sooner than later. Riders don't count these days. If TTC figure it out what they save in overtime vs the cost of inconveniencing riders at a fix cost per rider, rider cost would be 15+ times the saving of overtime. 1,000 x $15/10 = $1,500 vs $100 for a driver. You need to add wait time if a rider miss their connection by these crew changes to rider cost also.

3 crew changes is coming the standard for changes in the west and wait tell they short your train once or twice to Islington as well a crew change. Islington, Young, Bay and St George have the fastest change over point in the west.

I've never seen three changes...I'm not sure why that many was needed.
At times, I don't even see a change at noon on weekdays.

TTC working to resolve bike rack concerns following Ministry of Labour order

From link:

How much extra do passengers have to pay to bring a bike - either on the rack or on board. It seems like it is not a cheap thing to carry, including the extra time to load the bike. I guess they are charging enough to make it cost neutral.

I've never seen three changes...I'm not sure why that many was needed.
At times, I don't even see a change at noon on weekdays.
Doesn't happen every day and it happens at very times of the day even at PM peak. Been on PM Peak trains where it been short turn as well crew change.

I have seen guard change from one train to another 2 or 4 trains behind the one they got off.

This is fantastic. I know it's vandalism but I've never seen anything like that in Toronto. Only NYC in the 70s and 80s from books and websites. I really wish I could've seen this in person!

The TTC went against its rules and put this graffitied subway into service.

View attachment 35909

I can only wonder how much it will cost to de-graffiti this car. I hope the perpetrator(s) gets caught, and sentenced to having to clean graffiti for a decade as community service.

AoD

Last edited:

View attachment 35909

I heard that this Train was taken to Finch and sent out of service there.
Which means it was basically unable to get back to the yard at Davisville to be cleaned because of the weekend closure.

Cool photo, indeed.

I wonder if service between Eglinton and Bloor will be faster now. Southbound in the AM the trains crawl out of Eglinton. Guess I'll find out later today.

I never thought I'd see this in Toronto.. This is on par with Belgrade and Rome.

This is fantastic. I know it's vandalism but I've never seen anything like that in Toronto. Only NYC in the 70s and 80s from books and websites. I really wish I could've seen this in person!

I was shocked that it was one of the new trains that was vandalized

I can only wonder how much it will cost to de-graffiti this car. I hope the perpetrator(s) gets caught, and sentenced to having to clean graffiti for a decade as community service.

AoD

Alvin, I agree with Tiger, that pic is cool. I also agree with Filip, finally world class when we have dirty subways lol:D

I find it very strange that TTC has issues with the bike rack on the NovaBus when other systems don't.

Saw no issue with VIVA 1394 or others, saw none in Quebec this summer as well NYC.

I find it very strange that TTC has issues with the bike rack on the NovaBus when other systems don't.

Saw no issue with VIVA 1394 or others, saw none in Quebec this summer as well NYC.
I think it is not the TTC that has issues it seems to be the Ministry of Labour who were responding to a driver's complaint to them. I assume the Ministry guys looked at all the models at TTC and gave the TTC some sort of ultimatum; the fact that the racks on the Novas are still usable would imply that the problem with them is minor. Other places might have had the same Ministry directive if it was one of THEIR drivers who had complained.

@BradTTC
https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/524624930860978176
Another one day ridership record. The #TTC saw 1,854,430 rides taken on Oct. 9. The previous record of 1,842,094 rides was set Oct. 1

And the Oct. 1 record surpassed the Sept 12 record.
Lots of record-breaking going on.

Please tell us why we don't need another garage and more buses and more streetcars, Mr. Ford? Oh yeah, he and his brother don't use the TTC, except for photo ops.

Back