News   Jul 15, 2024
 743     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 899     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 631     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

With the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon happening this morning, why couldn't the TTC open the Yonge Subway at 7 or 7:30AM instead of 9?

There funding is capped, we know they're running a slight deficit at this point of the year (due to lower ridership), I really doubt they can afford to do things like this, even for a couple hours, where will the money come from, the city ? Who's still capping their budget ..

Things like this sound so easy (and I agree they should be) but all I can say is ... vote carefully ...

Take a look at this 4 part YouTube playlist
Understand Transit History (How We Got Into This Mess):
[video=youtube;bc2N1pJqC0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2N1pJqC0M&list=PLgiGp52farbbcUsGI9PEtiigt_82Ur5AM&index=1[/video]

Anyway, the TTC opening the subway earlier on a Sunday (at least the Yonge line) is long overdue and I hope the next City Council has a discussion regarding this

Cool photo of them doing track work during the Bloor-Eglinton closure this weekend from TTC:

http://ow.ly/i/7h2wd/original

7h2wd.jpg

Attachments

• 7h2wd.jpg
    7h2wd.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 417
Anyway, the TTC opening the subway earlier on a Sunday (at least the Yonge line) is long overdue and I hope the next City Council has a discussion regarding this
at present the extra time is used for maintenance. What would you propose for this discussion which respects keeping the line in a state of good repair? There are few weekends in Toronto between April and October which don't have some sort of event the organizers of which would claim worthy of early Sunday opening - that does not mean they all do.

if we are to discuss anything, let's talk about how badly the downtown surface network is utterly borked by weekend parades and running events. Parades at least can be temporarily held up to allow transit vehicle passage but races cannot.

The TTC went against its rules and put this graffitied subway into service.

IMG_7949.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7949.JPG
    IMG_7949.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 565
I heard that this Train was taken to Finch and sent out of service there.
Which means it was basically unable to get back to the yard at Davisville to be cleaned because of the weekend closure.

Until ATO is in place to allow trains to run in opposite direction on the same track, late start on Sunday will remain in place to do the maintenance.

After ATO is in place, TTC can start running 7/24 service using one track as well taking one platform out of service for a week or more to speed up the repairs to it. Quality of service will fall during the day for close platform work, but not the late night service or 7/24 since headway can be longer due to lower ridership.

The photo show crew working on the main slow order area that needs to be done first north of the Davisville station.

Not sure if this should actually go in the New Streetcars thread but Wolseley Loop is being rebuilt:

Wolseley.JPG

Attachments

• Wolseley.JPG
    Wolseley.JPG
    833.8 KB · Views: 346
I was surprised to get on board an old train at Yorkdale this morning.

And my noon adventure was even more strange, westbound from St. George, the crew changed three times, at Lansdowne, High Park and most surprisingly, Islington.
Would anyone have a clue why that was so?

I was surprised to get on board an old train at Yorkdale this morning.

And my noon adventure was even more strange, westbound from St. George, the crew changed three times, at Lansdowne, High Park and most surprisingly, Islington.
Would anyone have a clue why that was so?
Very simple, keeping crews on schedule is more important than getting riders to where they want to go sooner than later. Riders don't count these days. If TTC figure it out what they save in overtime vs the cost of inconveniencing riders at a fix cost per rider, rider cost would be 15+ times the saving of overtime. 1,000 x $15/10 = $1,500 vs $100 for a driver. You need to add wait time if a rider miss their connection by these crew changes to rider cost also.

3 crew changes is coming the standard for changes in the west and wait tell they short your train once or twice to Islington as well a crew change. Islington, Young, Bay and St George have the fastest change over point in the west.

Back