News   Jul 16, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 873     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

5 minutes!?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you exaggerating? I don't think I've ever had that happen to me, unless there was a problem elsewhere on the line.

Maybe I was exaggerating, I didn't time it or anything. It has definitely been than 2 minutes in the past. It usually happens outside of rush hour (late at night or something).

I also hope they can reduce the time necessary when the train stops at Yonge Bloor (I'm assuming a crew change).

I've never seen a crew change at Bloor-Yonge. I think it's only done at Finch, Eglinton & Union on Yonge Line. Hopefully Smallspy can confirm.

Calling Smallspy!!!

Maybe I was exaggerating, I didn't time it or anything. It has definitely been than 2 minutes in the past. It usually happens outside of rush hour (late at night or something).

Oh yeah, it definitely takes longer at B-Y. A lot of the reason is because it takes longer for passengers to board the train. But the train does tend to sit there for a while after everyone has gotten on.

Oh yeah, it definitely takes longer at B-Y. A lot of the reason is because it takes longer for passengers to board the train. But the train does tend to sit there for a while after everyone has gotten on.

I mean outside rush hour when it's not very crowded, it stops at Bloor not due to dwell time (people getting on/off), but for some other reason for a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's a crew change or not, but on the Yonge line it definitely used to stop at Bloor & Eglinton for a few minutes sometimes. Maybe they already fixed it, I don't know.

Line 2 isn't nearly as over capacity as Yonge. Bloor would be nice, but Yonge needs it. On yonge you need 2 more trains just to get on the subway, Bloor would just give you a bit more personal space.

More specifically, Line 2 MUST by design have lower capacity than Line 1 (so long as a very large %age of riders continue to transfer).

It rapidly becomes a safety problem when Line 2 even temporarily has higher capacity.

It's greatly preferred to leave people on the platforms at Broadview or Bathurst than to have significant overcrowding at St. George or Bloor.
Where is gets interesting is that Eglinton + Bloor must have a capacity lower than Yonge. For every Eglinton train we add, one will have to be removed from Bloor. Scheduling when the Eglinton line opens ought to be fascinating if GO RER isn't able to take some of the load.

London goes as far as to have trains skip-over major transfer stations, close subway station entrances temporarily, and open/close various walkways which have different walking lengths (folks prefer to walk an extra 3 minutes than stand and wait for 3 minutes; a neat phenomenon). Byford, being well aware of these struggles, has strong interest in the DRL to help prevent that kind of situation.

Last edited:
I mean outside rush hour when it's not very crowded, it stops at Bloor not due to dwell time (people getting on/off), but for some other reason for a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's a crew change or not, but on the Yonge line it definitely used to stop at Bloor & Eglinton for a few minutes sometimes. Maybe they already fixed it, I don't know.

That's just timing. A few signals (Union, Bloor, Eglinton, not sure about others) are designed to maintain a consistent gap between trains. If a train arrives early at Bloor then it will be held until the one infront has a 5 minute lead.

In short, it prevents bunching.

I've never seen a crew change at Bloor-Yonge. I think it's only done at Finch, Eglinton & Union on Yonge Line. Hopefully Smallspy can confirm.

Calling Smallspy!!!
There is no crew changing at Bloor/Yonge. From time to time a crew member will change off between trains on the BD at Yonge. Have yet to see one for the Yonge line.

In fact the YUS does not do any crew swapping outside the change point from all my travels over the years compare to BD.

There is a delay between 2-3 minutes on the BD going westbound and may have something to due with St George loading as well doing the gap spacing. Very rare have I seen a westbound train do a stop and go at Yonge without having to sit.

The southbound train sit longer than the northbound up to 2/3 minutes long outside of peak time. The trains normally sit at Bloor even during peak.

You can find crew swapping taking more in the west than the east and at most stations. At One time Royal York was a major crew change point where you have to wait 5 minutes for it to take place. Then it became Keele and now any station. You can sit from 1-5 minutes doing these change over, depending when the trains hit the station. It can be 1 or both crew members doing the swapping. I have been on trains that have done as many as 3 swapping between Yonge and Islington. Sometime the train will stop at a station to do the change over only to be told after sitting for sometime that it will happen at another station down the line or not at all.

5 minutes!?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you exaggerating? I don't think I've ever had that happen to me, unless there was a problem elsewhere on the line.

I've waited for a train to leave Downsview for over 5 minutes. This was just after the afternoon peak, I assume the train had to wait for returning trains to enter Wilson yard.

5 minutes!?!?!?!?!?!?

It happens. I have sat at Donlands and Osgoode for 10 minutes during crew changes. Missed the go train.

How about we build the Relief Line first, before we start talking about craziness like spaceships ;)
That's phase 3 of transit city :D

So far for my experiences, crew changes happen all the time at coxwell going eastbound, and it does not take more than 1 minute during afternoon peak. They always announce that there will be a couple minutes delay from the crew change, but it's never more than 60 seconds so far.

Up until last year I used to get caught at crew changes nearly every night at St. Andrew southbound on the University Line. Sometimes it could take up to 3-4 minutes for the northbound train to arrive and the crews to swap...delaying me just enough before I get to Union that I would miss my (then-hourly!) GO connection. This hasn't taken place in any serious numbers since last year, however.

It happens. I have sat at Donlands and Osgoode for 10 minutes during crew changes. Missed the go train

Now that's just ridiculous, but it really is your own fault.

What you should have done is walk yourself up to the front of the train drive it to wherever you were going. Maybe you could have watched this 8 minute tutorial on the signal system if you had internet, but I'm sure you'd do fine without it ;)

Up until last year I used to get caught at crew changes nearly every night at St. Andrew southbound on the University Line. Sometimes it could take up to 3-4 minutes for the northbound train to arrive and the crews to swap...delaying me just enough before I get to Union that I would miss my (then-hourly!) GO connection. This hasn't taken place in any serious numbers since last year, however.

St. Andrew is now the main crew changeover point in the middle of the line, Osgoode less so, since they can't do cross-platform changes at Union. I think they avoid doing crew changes at Union right now because the stairway layout at the west end of the platforms is not convenient.

Back