News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 978     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 369     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The 511 is being replaced by a bus again?!! Agh why didn't the TTC just complete this work during the last massive shutdown?
Time, crews and lack of funds come to mind why it wasn't done.

Also, theres a lot more cooperation between the city and untiles companies these days compare to 10 years ago to help speed things up and that includes TTC. Only only has to look at Broadview these days to see work being done a lot faster than the past on TTC track replacement.

Well there are about 80 new streetcars in operation and almost all of the approx. 50 ATRVs (the double cars) have been scrapped as have quite a few of the CLRVs. They really are VERY short of serviceable streetcars so it's just as well that several lines or parts of lines are currently impassable to streetcars and they are using buses - as they would have to do even if they had spares.
There has been no 50 ATRV's scrap so far, but 30 ALRV's have been scrap and not sure on 3 others. About 60 CLRV's have been scrap to date.

TTC miss the boat by ordering 204 cars due to their bean counters, as well the City picking up 66% of the cost of them. It should been 1:1 like I stated starting in 2004 at TTC meetings, as it was a mistake trying to say the existing fleet was 270 CLRV's when factoring in the ALRV's.

I have said since 2004 all we were doing with the new fleet was moving one cattle car system to another and not allowing for pent-up demand, system growth and the accessibility community finally able to use streetcars, not Wheel-Tram or cabs to get around.

We need 300 cars now, with reduce headway between them, let alone more by 2025 for expansion and increase ridership.

Good answer, but that wasn't the reason given by the TTC as it was for 506/505.

Yes, it was. They moved streetcars from the 506 to the 511 and from the 505 to the 501 so they could do the construction projects on Gerrard and on Broadview. Now the 511's streetcars (and some of the 504's) are moving back to the 506.

Do they have so little rolling stock, whether old or new, that 3 lines have to be taken out of operation? Seems like half the system is down at any given time.

Yeah. Part of the problem is the increase in ridership on King and Spadina that's needing more streetcars. Like I said, even with the full initial order of new streetcars there wouldn't be enough to service the entire system. Bathurst is the most cost-efficient route for the TTC to use buses because ridership is low enough that they can replace each CLRV streetcar with 1 bus on weekends and 1.25 buses on weekdays. On other routes each CLRV needs to be replaced with 1.5 buses to have enough capacity.

Yes, it was. They moved streetcars from the 506 to the 511 and from the 505 to the 501 so they could do the construction projects on Gerrard and on Broadview. Now the 511's streetcars (and some of the 504's) are moving back to the 506.

But why shut down the 511 as of Sept. 2 if this is really about a streetcar shortage? Restoration of 505/506 service is vaguely set for the end of the year, according to the TTC, and in any case, there's now trackwork on Broadview that isn't allowing those services to run anyway. I really just don't buy that this is a streetcar shortage issue. Since the cancellation of 505/506, the TTC has received several more Flexities and they still have the bulk of the A/CLRV fleet. I think this is just bad planning, as we saw with the 501 over the past couple years.

... I think this is just bad planning, ....
I would say bad planning AND bad luck. The TTC should have placed the order sooner and ordered more cars than 204 but the fact that BBD screwed things up made a not perfect situation VERY bad because the TTC had not planned for trying to keep the older streetcars running for several more years so they not only did not have enough new cars but were also scrapping older ones faster than desirable.

Dufferin Gates Loop - land surveying activities
August 7 to 31, 2018
Work description and purpose
As part of ongoing transit network improvements to integrate the waterfront corridor, “Waterfront Transit Reset”, TTC will be surveying the property lines of the Dufferin Gates Loop and areas inside Exhibition Place.

The field information gathered will be used for the preliminary design of the planned extension of streetcar service connecting Dufferin Gates Loop to Exhibition Loop.

Land surveying and related activities

Activities may include field staff gathering measurements and placing survey markers at property corners and elsewhere. Field staff will attempt to contact building/home occupants directly should access to private areas be required. In most instances, access to properties is for a short duration. The field crew will consist of four staff members wearing reflective vests.

Dufferin Gates Loop - land surveying activities
August 7 to 31, 2018
Work description and purpose
As part of ongoing transit network improvements to integrate the waterfront corridor, “Waterfront Transit Reset”, TTC will be surveying the property lines of the Dufferin Gates Loop and areas inside Exhibition Place.

The field information gathered will be used for the preliminary design of the planned extension of streetcar service connecting Dufferin Gates Loop to Exhibition Loop.

Land surveying and related activities

Activities may include field staff gathering measurements and placing survey markers at property corners and elsewhere. Field staff will attempt to contact building/home occupants directly should access to private areas be required. In most instances, access to properties is for a short duration. The field crew will consist of four staff members wearing reflective vests.

Here's the actual link ( http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/DufferinGatesSurvey.jsp ).

July 08
Just finish doing my July 8 shots and here some shots of Humber Loops. About 100 more up on site I shot that day for the area and part of the 700 for the day
30012764288_482aee0a9b_b.jpg

42977740845_390405cbf3_b.jpg

43164796454_5918bab94e_b.jpg

43833980952_63afc3cc22_b.jpg

42073437830_d36e0f5e4d_b.jpg

43882344571_3e50d3fcb5_b.jpg

43833994772_dafc45aae4_b.jpg

30006743768_49fa076f3c_b.jpg

42971994425_cf41693f13_b.jpg

30006751538_29daf4f665_b.jpg

30006765298_7baa66500c_b.jpg

42972030765_fba8bee63e_b.jpg

43876341111_b2193c29bc_b.jpg

43876345441_84afec2ef3_b.jpg

43158922864_eebf1a03aa_b.jpg

43158936004_68c9f5994a_b.jpg

30006835438_541e5b89f2_b.jpg

30006840368_565781ff43_b.jpg

Now this is just misinformed, the line is way off and where is Downsview Park station?
upload_2018-8-8_12-41-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_12-41-22.png
    upload_2018-8-8_12-41-22.png
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 409
I posted this in another thread but it's more suitable for here:

The new announcements by Seth Rogen are absolutely annoying. I listened to one and it was already way to long to get the point across. The last thing the TTC needs is for passengers to be dawdling around a station to catch the P.A. message especially during rush hour.

I posted this in another thread but it's more suitable for here:

The new announcements by Seth Rogen are absolutely annoying. I listened to one and it was already way to long to get the point across. The last thing the TTC needs is for passengers to be dawdling around a station to catch the P.A. message especially during rush hour.

The real problem is that he doesnt really have a radio voice. I couldnt understand a damn thing he was saying in the echo chamber of Eglinton station.

I don't understand why an already washed up actor who isn't even from Toronto is doing voiceovers for the TTC.

Also - he's incredibly annoying with a grating voice - but that's beside the point.

In fact, until I read up on his Vancouver voiceover - I didn't even know he was Canadian - just thought he was some American stoner who became famous for some odd reason - like the Kardashians - because talent is clearly something he does not have.

TTC PM service update for August 8

August 8, 2018

The TTC is advising customers that due to flooding at Sheppard West Station, subway service between Wilson and Finch West stations will be replaced by shuttle buses through the afternoon rush hour, resulting in longer than normal travel times.

TTC crews, assisted by Toronto Fire Services, have spent most of the day pumping water from the flooded sections of the station. Once clear, electricians and subway crews will inspect and test the equipment that has been under water for several hours.

Crews are working as quickly as possible to restore service. Customers are advised to check ttc.ca and follow @TTCnotices on Twitter for service updates.

A total of 44 shuttle buses will replace subway service stopping at Wilson, Sheppard West, Downsview Park and Finch West stations. The GO protocol is in effect, allowing customers to ride a GO train on the Barrie Line within Toronto for a TTC fare. Customers can also use the Yonge side of Line 1 to travel north and take a bus west on York Mills Rd./Wilson Ave., Sheppard Ave. and Finch Ave.

The Sheppard West station flooding was the most serious of several weather-related incidents to impact TTC service today.

Also this morning, at approximately 9:45 a.m., subway service was suspended for about 90 minutes between Bloor and Eglinton stations after storm water contacted a 600v cable causing a small track-level fire.

The TTC apologizes for the inconvenience and thanks customers for their patience during the flood and its aftermath.

TTC PM service update for August 8

August 8, 2018

The TTC is advising customers that due to flooding at Sheppard West Station, subway service between Wilson and Finch West stations will be replaced by shuttle buses through the afternoon rush hour, resulting in longer than normal travel times.

TTC crews, assisted by Toronto Fire Services, have spent most of the day pumping water from the flooded sections of the station. Once clear, electricians and subway crews will inspect and test the equipment that has been under water for several hours.

Crews are working as quickly as possible to restore service. Customers are advised to check ttc.ca and follow @TTCnotices on Twitter for service updates.

A total of 44 shuttle buses will replace subway service stopping at Wilson, Sheppard West, Downsview Park and Finch West stations. The GO protocol is in effect, allowing customers to ride a GO train on the Barrie Line within Toronto for a TTC fare. Customers can also use the Yonge side of Line 1 to travel north and take a bus west on York Mills Rd./Wilson Ave., Sheppard Ave. and Finch Ave.

The Sheppard West station flooding was the most serious of several weather-related incidents to impact TTC service today.

Also this morning, at approximately 9:45 a.m., subway service was suspended for about 90 minutes between Bloor and Eglinton stations after storm water contacted a 600v cable causing a small track-level fire.

The TTC apologizes for the inconvenience and thanks customers for their patience during the flood and its aftermath.

Do we yet know why this station flooded so badly? (overland flood, in through the tunnels, up through the drains?)

There is no active construction site here, that I'm aware of..........

Back