News   Apr 23, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 848     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 477     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

This morning Eglinton was seriously congested, with people backed up all the way up the stairs into the bus bay area.

And this is pre Crosstown. What a joke.

It's for Dufferin bus service improvements with Tory and Bailao in attendance. Guess he wanted her to win.

There is a certain irony of a "Get Toronto Moving" podium for a photo-op - someone should have taken it to Eglinton this morning.

AoD

What we really need is TV Commericals like the ones in the 1980s.

See here:

and here:

So, apparently some guy secured himself some space on a subway by putting live crabs on adjacent seats.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/05/someone-put-live-crabs-seats-ttc-subway/

There was some colourful action thereafter.

But for me, Brad Ross' response is the highlight of the day.

"Crabs are not permitted on seats, even if they're accompanied by hot drawn butter and a bib," he said.

"And unless a crab is a service crab or emotional support crab, and we're doubtful that is the case here, they must be contained in a sealed carrier at all times."

So, apparently some guy secured himself some space on a subway by putting live crabs on adjacent seats.

"Crabs are not permitted on seats, even if they're accompanied by hot drawn butter and a bib," he said.

"And unless a crab is a service crab or emotional support crab, and we're doubtful that is the case here, they must be contained in a sealed carrier at all times."

But what if the person themselves has crabs?

Clearly that individual need to meet a Chinese rider with time to spare. What's a barricade to one is a delicacy to another. Yum.

On a slightly more serious note, I have a good idea what would constitute appropriate punishment for this individual should be if caught.

AoD

This morning Eglinton was seriously congested, with people backed up all the way up the stairs into the bus bay area.

And this is pre Crosstown. What a joke.
Dont worry, Doug Ford's magical $5 billion that he found out of thin air which will close the "Sheppard Loop" will solve our problems!

Dont worry, Doug Ford's magical $5 billion that he found out of thin air which will close the "Sheppard Loop" will solve our problems!
If only he would use it for a westward extension instead (and if he could explain where the hell he finds 5 billion dollars)...that would actually help the situation by giving people the opportunity to shift over to the spadina line on a day like this.

If only he would use it for a westward extension instead (and if he could explain where the hell he finds 5 billion dollars)...that would actually help the situation by giving people the opportunity to shift over to the spadina line on a day like this.
In terms of functionality, at least the Sheppard West subway idea is useful.

While it might not have high ridership, I think many subway users of the Yonge Line (and transit users in Scarborough/North York) can envision scenarios where they would have to use Sheppard West once a month or so. Every subway rider would also benefit from the improved service operations that connecting the Yonge Line to the Wilson Yard would bring,

Comparatively, I can say in confidence that I would never use a Sheppard East subway to head to STC or any destinations beyond. The sole and only purpose of the Sheppard East subway would be to improve the commutes of the persons on the Sheppard East bus.

While it might not have high ridership, I think many subway users of the Yonge Line (and transit users in Scarborough/North York) can envision scenarios where they would have to use Sheppard West once a month or so. Every subway rider would also benefit from the improved service operations that connecting the Yonge Line to the Wilson Yard would bring,

Comparatively, I can say in confidence that I would never use a Sheppard East subway to head to STC or any destinations beyond. The sole and only purpose of the Sheppard East subway would be to improve the commutes of the persons on the Sheppard East bus.

I see a lot of people using Sheppard West to get to Yorkdale, Costco (at Wilson), or most importantly, York University. It would also be beneficial for those living along Sheppard going to U of T.

I would argue a Victoria park extension would be fairly beneficial, but if that were to ever come to fruition, it would be tied with Relief Line North. The city is moving to a network of subway lines which is actually great since it will allow for the much-needed redundancy the city so desperately needs.

But again, cost is the issue, and the city should really have other priorities with this magical 5 billion dollars.

It can be useful if/when relief line north is built and Stouffville is upgraded to RER.

I think east to Vic Park should certainly be looked at, and in conjunction with RL. Consumers Rd area gets overlooked and it's massive. People lose their shit about why some empty area in Vaughan needs a subway, meanwhile we have an area that exists - one promised a subway +30yrs ago - and nothing. Sheppard West I'm not sold on at all. Obviously a subway is better than no subway. Obviously. Something v nothing...hm, something is better. And yes Wilson access from an operations pov. But it's a lot of money, in an area that's actually covered well by subways relative to elsewhere. But compared to a tiny ext east to Vic Pk, east should win.

What I don't like is that Metrolinx has gone rogue and taken it upon themselves to put a Sheppard W ext in their fantasy plan, even though it's not in Toronto's plan. And it's a bigger priority for them than things that are in TO's official plan and that we do consider a priority. It's like with York Region planning extensions of Toronto's subway system up to god knows where. It's not theirs, nor Metrolinx's. I think even Pickering is now on the subway vision train.

Back