News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 991     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I wonder if given the recent accident on queens quay and the previous one if the city and the TTC will consider putting up signs and or railroad crossing gates to remind poe that the streetcar there is a railroad?

The car in the tunnel this morning? There are signs and flashing lights.
yeah but I don't think poel think of it as railroad ther. They just treat it like the rest of the city where it isn't in a right of way. That's why I say they need crossing gates at the driveways/ intersections or j even just lights. Heck even signs warning poel that it's a railroad would be better. Ion in London has signs up next to the right of way for the LRT the ones that are on the streetcar ones on the side of the road in Toronto would be no different.

Given that there have been either 3 or 4 cars go down that tunnel out of the thousands that pass it every day, I'd say it's pretty obvious not to go down there and 99.99% of people get it.

Given that there have been either 3 or 4 cars go down that tunnel out of the thousands that pass it every day, I'd say it's pretty obvious not to go down there and 99.99% of people get it.
One car going down it is one too many. Thankfully no one has been hurt or killed yet hitting a streetcar.

yeah but I don't think poel think of it as railroad ther. They just treat it like the rest of the city where it isn't in a right of way. That's why I say they need crossing gates at the driveways/ intersections or j even just lights. Heck even signs warning poel that it's a railroad would be better. Ion in London has signs up next to the right of way for the LRT the ones that are on the streetcar ones on the side of the road in Toronto would be no different.
A gate has it's own set of problems. It causes noises at night which will upset people and it could break down. Paired with bells, more people will object than approve. I'll suggest spike strips which will effectively pop all tires before it even gets inside the tunnel. It's going to take a crane to remove, might as well trap the car at the portal make it much easier to remove. With a gate, an idiot can still crash into it in the dark citing following the GPS. It will still cause a delay.

Aside from people saying design flaws or putting up barriers.... you can't possibly have a drivers licence and allowing yourself to consciously drive so far into a tunnel with no paving fit for cars at the beginning.

You're supposed to be alert and aware of... well, everything and anything... while behind the wheel.

Glad your not an engineer. 0.01% failure rate is pretty bad.
One car going down it is one too many. Thankfully no one has been hurt or killed yet hitting a streetcar.
1 car going down is a fluke. More than 1 is too many.
Repeating the same design mistake on Eglinton is idiotic.

1 car going down is a fluke. More than 1 is too many.
Repeating the same design mistake on Eglinton is idiotic.

And yet we allow the ones with the highest failure rate of all - i.e. People - the right to drive with the greatest of ease. That is idiotic.

AoD

A gate has it's own set of problems. It causes noises at night which will upset people and it could break down. Paired with bells, more people will object than approve. I'll suggest spike strips which will effectively pop all tires before it even gets inside the tunnel. It's going to take a crane to remove, might as well trap the car at the portal make it much easier to remove. With a gate, an idiot can still crash into it in the dark citing following the GPS. It will still cause a delay.

In the story, they do mention that two of the automobile's tires were deflated. They don't mention where in the tunnel or incline did they got blown. Maybe a gully or canyon (with the tracks bridging it) at the entrance is needed to catch them.

It's probably less than that. Because I don't have a traffic study to tell me just how many cars pass that tunnel on a daily basis, I couldn't do an accurate calculation. It's less than one car per year. Even the best design can't fix stupid.

The damage control continues...

C5ctpXcWUAUKGxw.jpg-large.jpg

Attachments

• C5ctpXcWUAUKGxw.jpg-large.jpg
    C5ctpXcWUAUKGxw.jpg-large.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 313
Tough day for the TTC today. 2 Priority 1's happened on Line 1 today with one at Lawrence West and now St.Clair.

Back