News   Jul 09, 2024
 759     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 602     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I saw this very odd TTC sign today on Yonge Street (east side just north of Front). What does it mean?

DSCN6536.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6536.JPG
    DSCN6536.JPG
    614.1 KB · Views: 461
But seriously. What is that bus stop all about? (after we finish with all the semantics) Is that graffiti or a serious sticker on that stop? Or a photoshopped photo? Or what? *jaw drop* WTF?

But seriously. What is that bus stop all about? (after we finish with all the semantics) Is that graffiti or a serious sticker on that stop? Or a photoshopped photo? Or what? *jaw drop* WTF?
It was not photoshopped and looks very 'official" (except we know the TTC's penchant for illegible hand-written signs!) WTF sums it up rather well.

I noticed that in the List of bus routes on TTC website they now mark the routes that have PRESTO. (Last week I was on a 75 (Sherbourne) bus that had an inoperative reader so I assume they are still working on equipping all the buses at its garage and only 'turn on' a route when all buses are done. See: http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/Buses.jsp

UPDATE: This afternoon (31 July) I was on another 75 bus with two working PRESTO readers.

Last edited:
I noticed that in the List of bus routes on TTC website they now mark the routes that have PRESTO. (Last week I was on a 75 (Sherbourne) bus that had an inoperative reader so I assume they are still working on equipping all the buses at its garage and only 'turn on' a route when all buses are done. See: http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/Buses.jsp

Unlike with the streetcars buses are going live with presto as soon as they have them, they do ten a night per garage I think Thy have done 3 now. Once each bus has preto no mater what rout it is on it excepts presto. It sometime happens that the readers don't conte properly to the network.

Unlike with the streetcars buses are going live with presto as soon as they have them, they do ten a night per garage I think Thy have done 3 now. Once each bus has preto no mater what rout it is on it excepts presto. It sometime happens that the readers don't conte properly to the network.

The TTC's official policy, via Brad Ross on twitter, is that if you're on a TTC vehicle--even a bus on an not-Presto-listed route--if the reader is there and shows 'not in service', you ride for free.

However, as with most TTC policies, they A) haven't told the drivers, or B) the drivers don't care, because drivers generally refuse to allow you to board unless you pay your fare another way.

Anyone's guess what fare inspectors will do, though naturally that's only an issue on streetcars not buses, and I've found streetcars usually have this problem much less than buses, and when they have the issue just one of their readers is down leaving 1-5 more typically working, vs. the buses I've been on where if one device is offline, the other ones always have been as well.

Anyone's guess what fare inspectors will do, though naturally that's only an issue on streetcars not buses, and I've found streetcars usually have this problem much less than buses, and when they have the issue just one of their readers is down leaving 1-5 more typically working, vs. the buses I've been on where if one device is offline, the other ones always have been as well.

I was on a but where the front reader was offline, but the back was working, the operator told me to tap on the back reader.

If one looks at NA Transit Ridership, its basely in decline across the board with various systems seeing strong growth. Its been like that for the last few years with the cost of cheap gas being the cause of the decline.

Gas in a lot of parts of the US is about $2 gal or less, down from the high $3-$4. Even with the low gas price, people are still driving less than they did 5 -10 years ago.

Cost of using transit is at an point, its cheaper to drive than pay a transit fare while dealing with overcrowding and poor service.

People talk about seeing a TTC fare increase yearly to deal with the short fall of fund as a bad thing, but fail to look around at other systems what going on with their fare increase. Mississauga has had a $.10 fare increase yearly for 16 years in a roll with the odd year seeing more and one reason the model split hasn't change in those years at all. Still 11%.

I totally disagree with Tory vision that is following Ford vision as well good old Mike dumb vision.

TTC has to do the old switch an bait work around to try to maintain the State of Repair above the line while pushing vehicle maintain to a flat line or below for it to delivery the extra things Tory place before them not in their plan.

If people think taxes should be cut is the way to go, are they prepare to pay the full real cost on things they need daily?? Are they prepare to not have to pay for things they don't need or use at all and pay full cost of things they need daily or yearly?? If they are, they are in for a wakeup call as they will hit the floor when those bills arrive as they will be a lot higher than what they pay for everything today. In many cases, they will be unable to afford the place they live in, what they do as well a major shake up of their life style.

Tory needs to stand up and say he sorry about giving free rides to those below the age of 12 and will have to start charging them a fare again as its was the wrong thing to do in the first place. He needs to tell the car folks that lanes of traffic has to be removed for them since transit carries a lot more rider than they will every do. He needs to get council to provide the extra funding to allow TTC to comply with the ODA 2025 time frame to make TTC 100% accessibly before then, since they have the same right as us. It also means putting in 2 elevators, not the normal one so these accessibly riders can still use the system and not doing the farting around like they do today.

TTC Needs to prepare a budget showing everything it needs for it to run daily as well expanding and have council decide what should be put off for x time frame. Then they have only themselves to blame when things fall apart or having the riders doing more bitching than they do today.

At the end of the day, TTC will loose riders as its to costly to use in the first place since their revenue is below the cost of inflation as well trying to live. They will be going out less and walking a lot more if they can do the walking in the first place.

Queen Park needs to get its house in order and spend money a lot better and allowing transit system to buy from x company that can provide items cheaper than then the ones they are forced to buy from to protect seats or support X company. Those dollars saving will help systems to do more and expand a lot sooner

Its time all levels start using the right "Technology in the Right Place" than try winning votes for using the wrong one in the wrong place and costing an arm and leg for it that could be put to be use elsewhere.

Back