News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 898     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 566     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Seriously, how long are people's underground commutes such that they can't function without having the need to keep yammering on their phones or texting every few seconds. "heyyy I'm at Dundas, ok now I'm at Queen lol ttyl k bye". Capitulating to the cellphone junkies should not be a priority for the TTC.

Seriously, how long are people's underground commutes such that they can't function without having the need to keep yammering on their phones or texting every few seconds. "heyyy I'm at Dundas, ok now I'm at Queen lol ttyl k bye". Capitulating to the cellphone retards should not be a priority for the TTC.
Most of the other transit agencies in the world have capitulated to the so-called "cellphone retards". I happily was using data in the Transbay tunnel last week.

I'm okay with data. I get that. If I'm sitting on the subway and can get through some work emails, check Facebook, read the latest tweets, etc. then cool.

It's the voice I have a problem with. People tend to talk louder when they are on their cell. Not looking forward to being forced to eavesdrop on asinine telephone conversations while shoved into a subway car.

People hardly talk on their phones these days so I don't think it's too much of a problem. It may be just me but I hardly see people talking on the phone compared to before. People are too busy checking social media and doing other stuff on their phone. I think data is more important than voice. Also they need to put the wifi in the all stations and the tunnels.

agreed....most people text now anyways so thats the more important reason for reception in the tunnels....and also to catch up to the rest of the "world class" cities.
BTW...just to be clear reception in the listed stations currently is just the station and not the tunnel in between??

agreed....most people text now anyways so thats the more important reason for reception in the tunnels....and also to catch up to the rest of the "world class" cities.
BTW...just to be clear reception in the listed stations currently is just the station and not the tunnel in between??
Yes. Even then it's sketchy in places, and getting data while stopped at the station is maybe 40% if you have clicked through the registration page, and if you haven't you have maybe 20% chance before the train moves off again.

People hardly talk on their phones these days so I don't think it's too much of a problem. It may be just me but I hardly see people talking on the phone compared to before. People are too busy checking social media and doing other stuff on their phone. I think data is more important than voice. Also they need to put the wifi in the all stations and the tunnels.
I hardly talk on my phone, but any time I'm in a coffee shop, I hear a lot of phone conversations -- usually work related. On the streetcar, I hear a lot of personal conversations, many of which I really wish I hadn't heard.

An interesting idea. How then would you presume that credit/debit will work on buses and the old streetcars where there are no plans to install a SRVM.

I presume that it won't. Old streetcars are on their way out, I don't believe they're going to bother. As for buses, I can possibly see them foregoing debit/credit, if not then I think we'll most likely see a small additional box next to the presto reader for those payments "to reduce customer confusion" as the TTC is likely to state regarding having the same Presto reader handle all types of payments.

I presume that it won't. Old streetcars are on their way out, I don't believe they're going to bother. As for buses, I can possibly see them foregoing debit/credit, if not then I think we'll most likely see a small additional box next to the presto reader for those payments "to reduce customer confusion" as the TTC is likely to state regarding having the same Presto reader handle all types of payments.
Given that the TTC has slightly more fare payments on the bus, than in subway stations, I really can't believe that they'd not allow credit/debit in the very place they collect the most fares!

I'm okay with data. I get that. If I'm sitting on the subway and can get through some work emails, check Facebook, read the latest tweets, etc. then cool.

It's the voice I have a problem with. People tend to talk louder when they are on their cell. Not looking forward to being forced to eavesdrop on asinine telephone conversations while shoved into a subway car.

Out of respect, I never answer my phone until I'm off that bus or subway train, because I know how obnoxious it is for everyone else around me. But sadly, many people don't provide the same kind of courtesy. The subway is one of the last remaining respites from this obnoxious behaviour, or at least some parts of it. I used to commute regularly from Downsview to Queens Park, and as soon as the train exits the tunnel at Eglinton West, out comes the cellphones. "HEY WHATS UP MAN!", says the idiot sitting next to me. The conversations I hear are never important or urgent enough to justify picking up the phone in front of everyone. It's always some shit about their personal life, political views, insurance problems, their crappy job or whatever. If the TTC goes ahead with their plan to provide cell service in the subway, it will further deteriorate an already difficult enough commute in this city.

Out of respect, I never answer my phone until I'm off that bus or subway train, because I know how obnoxious it is for everyone else around me.
It's all relative isn't it? A 2-sentence, I'll be home in 10 minutes is one thing. Hearing an 20-minute casual call between friends or relatives is something else.

And volume is a factor. I've sat beside someone on the phone, who says the occasional word, so quietly I can barely hear them. At the same time, there's been someone on the phone at the other end of the vehicle, which I can hear every word loudly.

Though the far most annoying talk to listen to is between two people both sat there. Should we ban that too? If we could ban grade 9 students from speaking on the streetcar, that would make for a quieter commute ... if only they'd use there mobiles instead - at least then you'd only hear one of them not two.

Studies have been done and have determined that listening to somebody else on the phone is annoying because it's a one sided conversation. That prompts listeners to cue in on the conversation to determine if it's directed at them. Even though you know that it's a phone conversation, our brains are wired to pay attention briefly and that repeated cueing is what's so annoying.

I hope that with phone reception being added to the tunnels, that the TTC put together a etiquette campaign that asks people to wait until they're outside the train before making a call. "Text, not talk please". Of course there will be people who ignore this but if we make it socially unacceptable, fewer people will do it and those who do will be met with disapproval from everyone around them.

Why are we worrying about trains in particular, given that there are no major problems, and more riders, on buses, RTs, and streetcars? I recall no such campaign on buses and streetcars.

Back