News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Apple Pay lists TTC as "Coming Soon". https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-pay/

Personally I don't think TTC should launch AP unless it can do so with Google Pay at minimum at the same time, if only so commuters with 0$ droids can have the same access as the suit with the $500 iPhone 6S.

Let the errors happen, it's less dangerous than people taking 10 tries to get the damn thing to read and create a backlog in a jammed station.
Hang on - if there's an error reading the card, the gate doesn't open (or the turnstile is locked), and it does create a backlog.

Though presumably if someone has this problem frequently, they'll quickly change their habits - so not a huge problem. Though it's already annoying at a GO Presto pedestal, standing behind the guy who wants to be the one who doesn't take the card out of their wallet ... and then everyone waits when it doesn't read.

Hang on - if there's an error reading the card, the gate doesn't open (or the turnstile is locked), and it does create a backlog.

Though presumably if someone has this problem frequently, they'll quickly change their habits - so not a huge problem. Though it's already annoying at a GO Presto pedestal, standing behind the guy who wants to be the one who doesn't take the card out of their wallet ... and then everyone waits when it doesn't read.

Let's put it this way, I use it daily - and I can tell you that there is no comparison in terms of the frequency at which the first gen readers get into difficulties relative to the new ones - they are almost invariably the ones causing jams. Lack of user etiquette (stepping aside and let others go ahead) is another issue entirely.

AoD

Once they enable debit/credit (which they are already sporadically testing) that become a dangerous game. What if the reader "sees" the VISA card first, and charges $3 instead of using the Presto card?

Even now, if it "sees" another card first, it returns an error, rather than opening the gates.

The debit/credit functionality has now been moved to separate devices. On the LFLRVs it is done on the on-board or off-board SRVMs, and at stations the current plan is that tap debit/credit will be done at the collector booth. Once collectors are no longer present--if that indeed occurs--presumably a sort of SRVM that is compatible with whatever faregate solution we'll have will be deployed to handle those transactions.

Apple Pay lists TTC as "Coming Soon". https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-pay/

Personally I don't think TTC should launch AP unless it can do so with Google Pay at minimum at the same time, if only so commuters with 0$ droids can have the same access as the suit with the $500 iPhone 6S.

Apple Pay is NOT a separate payment system. The TTC is NOT "launching" Apple Pay. It simply stores the RFID functionality of your credit card. Any existing contactless payment terminal supports Apple Pay if it takes Visa PayWave/MC PayPass/Amex ExpressPay (there are multiple videos of people at Tim Hortons, McDonalds, etc. in Canada using US credit cards over Apple Pay successfully despite the retailers not "accepting" Apple Pay). Not sure if Google Pay is the same--if it is, then yes, obviously it will work as well; if not, then frankly that's an apples to oranges comparison--if special work is required for google/android then that would be google/android's issue to deal with, not the TTC's problem in any way. There is no issue of equality over who can afford which phone happening here.

Let's put it this way, I use it daily - and I can tell you that there is no comparison in terms of the frequency at which the first gen readers get into difficulties relative to the new ones - they are almost invariably the ones causing jams. Lack of user etiquette (stepping aside and let others go ahead) is another issue entirely.
I think the discussion was about trying to scan your card without taking it out of your purse/wallet. This is a problem with any generation reader creating an error if it sees the wrong card.

Yes, new readers are faster ... but I don't see that's germane to the discussion.

The debit/credit functionality has now been moved to separate devices. On the LFLRVs it is done on the on-board or off-board SRVMs, and at stations the current plan is that tap debit/credit will be done at the collector booth. Once collectors are no longer present--if that indeed occurs--presumably a sort of SRVM that is compatible with whatever faregate solution we'll have will be deployed to handle those transactions.
Do you have a reference for that? I'd be shocked if the small green readers now being placed on buses and old streetcars won't (eventually) accept credit/debit.

I think the discussion was about trying to scan your card without taking it out of your purse/wallet. This is a problem with any generation reader creating an error if it sees the wrong card.

Yes, new readers are faster ... but I don't see that's germane to the discussion.

I don't take mine out - and even then it's pretty much a hit 10/10 (and gawd knows I have enough chip cards in mine). The first gen reader is probably what, 7/10 at best even when I took my card out. Trust me, the old readers are annoying for a reason.

AoD

I don't take mine out - and even then it's pretty much a hit 10/10 (and gawd knows I have enough chip cards in mine). The first gen reader is probably what, 7/10 at best even when I took my card out. Trust me, the old readers are annoying for a reason.
Never said they weren't. Surprised that the other card's aren't creating that much of a problem - I wonder if they've improved the recognition of Presto vs others ... though what happens if they enable credit/debit ...

... which is perhaps a reason NOT to enable credit/debit.

Though I've started to wonder - with all those new green readers on the backdoor or the streetcar - how long before it accidentally scans your wallet, when you are crushed in the streetcar against it? I'm surprised there's been no reported issues of this on the new streetcars (which I only tend to use off-peak, and not under crush load).

Apple Pay is NOT a separate payment system. The TTC is NOT "launching" Apple Pay. It simply stores the RFID functionality of your credit card. Any existing contactless payment terminal supports Apple Pay if it takes Visa PayWave/MC PayPass/Amex ExpressPay (there are multiple videos of people at Tim Hortons, McDonalds, etc. in Canada using US credit cards over Apple Pay successfully despite the retailers not "accepting" Apple Pay). Not sure if Google Pay is the same--if it is, then yes, obviously it will work as well; if not, then frankly that's an apples to oranges comparison--if special work is required for google/android then that would be google/android's issue to deal with, not the TTC's problem in any way. There is no issue of equality over who can afford which phone happening here.
I guess what's not clear is what's "coming soon" then. Presumably it is TTC rolling out tap-to-pay on their credit terminals which in turn will enable Apple Pay devices to use them. Not clear to me why this (tap to pay with credit/debit) didn't happen when TTC rolled out credit terminals, anyone know?

From CEO Report to TTC Board next week:

The TTC has a 25-year agreement with Broadcast Australia PTY Limited (now BAI Canada) for the implementation of a wireless network throughout the subway system, which will be capable of handling all existing Cellular and Wi-Fi bands. The project involves implementing the network in all existing and future subway stations, platforms, stairways, mezzanines, hallways, and tunnels.
The initial portion of the network was activated for public use at St. George and Bloor/Yonge Stations on December 10, 2013. As of March 24, 2015, TTC customers have Wi-Fi access at 14 subway stations, including all the stations on Line 1 in the “U” and 4 stations on Line 2 from Bloor/Yonge to Spadina. There are 12 stations under design review in conjunction with the PRESTO implementation. Construction activities commenced on August 31, 2015, at Bathurst, Castle Frank, Christie, Dupont, and Sherbourne Stations. Construction at Lansdowne and Main Stations started on November 2, 2015.

From CEO Report to TTC Board next week:

The TTC has a 25-year agreement with Broadcast Australia PTY Limited (now BAI Canada) for the implementation of a wireless network throughout the subway system, which will be capable of handling all existing Cellular and Wi-Fi bands. The project involves implementing the network in all existing and future subway stations, platforms, stairways, mezzanines, hallways, and tunnels.
The initial portion of the network was activated for public use at St. George and Bloor/Yonge Stations on December 10, 2013. As of March 24, 2015, TTC customers have Wi-Fi access at 14 subway stations, including all the stations on Line 1 in the “U” and 4 stations on Line 2 from Bloor/Yonge to Spadina. There are 12 stations under design review in conjunction with the PRESTO implementation. Construction activities commenced on August 31, 2015, at Bathurst, Castle Frank, Christie, Dupont, and Sherbourne Stations. Construction at Lansdowne and Main Stations started on November 2, 2015.

OK....so do they have an "estimate" on when I can make a call and check my emails while I take the train from Finch to Union without disruptions in between?

Do you have a reference for that? I'd be shocked if the small green readers now being placed on buses and old streetcars won't (eventually) accept credit/debit.

"The debit/credit functionality has now been moved to separate devices." My reference for that is go get on 4405 or see the machine at Queen's Quay and Spadina sometime. That is my source. As for "Once collectors are no longer present--if that indeed occurs--presumably a sort of SRVM that is compatible with whatever faregate solution we'll have will be deployed to handle those transactions.", if you need my reference on that, you can pick up a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "presumably".

"The debit/credit functionality has now been moved to separate devices." My reference for that is go get on 4405 or see the machine at Queen's Quay and Spadina sometime. That is my source. As for "Once collectors are no longer present--if that indeed occurs--presumably a sort of SRVM that is compatible with whatever faregate solution we'll have will be deployed to handle those transactions.", if you need my reference on that, you can pick up a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "presumably".
An interesting idea. How then would you presume that credit/debit will work on buses and the old streetcars where there are no plans to install a SRVM.

OK....so do they have an "estimate" on when I can make a call and check my emails while I take the train from Finch to Union without disruptions in between?
In the case of calls I hope the answer is "never". Being jammed into the subway bad enough without some idiot yelling "can you hear me now?" in my ear.

Back