News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.2K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Yeah that seems like the kind of terrible thing Ford would be into. But he might be shy after losing to unions on bill 124, or realize he should just not do something so heinous.

Or he just pull a 'beer in corner stores' move and pay thew workers off to amend the agreement.

Yeah - this definitely isn’t about service levels (that’s the line I’ve seen used to help justify this).

If that were the case you could state (I think?) that any cross-border pickups should not reduce service levels? Or that service levels can’t be dropped from the time the agreement is ratified? This seems all about preserving jobs in specific areas as opposed to the flexibility and heath of the system as a whole, or utility to users.

Yeah - this definitely isn’t about service levels (that’s the line I’ve seen used to help justify this).

If that were the case you could state (I think?) that any cross-border pickups should not reduce service levels? Or that service levels can’t be dropped from the time the agreement is ratified? This seems all about preserving jobs in specific areas as opposed to the flexibility and heath of the system as a whole, or utility to users.
Why would it matter to the employees? The jobs "start" at the garages not in the areas the bus runs.

Seems a pretty minor government change in the great scheme of things. It could surely be done at a stroke of a cabinet pen.

And in the bigger picture, it would still be union workers driving the buses.
I believe yrt is under a different union United Food and Commercial Workers, DRT is under Unifor

My only guess is the union feels that one of the other systems might let in contract workers down the line? semi unrelated but I believe miway had openings for part time mechanics and that really ticked off a lot of people

They're trying to sell it as such, but you are correct, in many cases its not.

For instance, a number of the routes in the west end are duplicated with Mississauga Transit routes that see far more service than the TTC provides. The total amount of work that the TTC would "lose" by allowing MT to provide local service on those corridors is less than a dozen pieces of work.

Why would it matter to the employees? The jobs "start" at the garages not in the areas the bus runs.
The jobs start at the garages, but many pieces of work require the driver to travel on transit to a point on the route where they take over the bus from another driver.

Dan

They're trying to sell it as such, but you are correct, in many cases its not.

For instance, a number of the routes in the west end are duplicated with Mississauga Transit routes that see far more service than the TTC provides. The total amount of work that the TTC would "lose" by allowing MT to provide local service on those corridors is less than a dozen pieces of work.

The jobs start at the garages, but many pieces of work require the driver to travel on transit to a point on the route where they take over the bus from another driver.

Dan
Thanks Dan, as always you offer fact-based comments and references.

Route 88, already diverted via Davisville thanks to the mess on Moore Avenue at Mud Creek, is now split east of Bayview. Until July 14, instead of both branches converging westbound at Millwood/Sutherland:

• the A branch will continue along Southvale/Moore from Millwood where it ordinarily turns at the Arena, and then north on Bayview
  • The B branch continues MacRae to Bayview instead of turning at Millwood
In superb TTC comms performance, this was posted on Twitter after 4pm today, and handwritten signs affixed to stops which were not there yesterday, despite the change being effective at 7am this morning.

• Wow
Reactions: PL1
Does the Union representing other regional bus drivers (Durham, Brampton, etc.) have the same issues with regional buses picking up riders in neighbouring jurisdiction? Can MiWay buses pickup riders in Brampton?

Haven't we seen ATU get in the way of integrated/ regional transit before? Weren't they resistant to TTC adopting Presto?

Last edited:
Does the Union representing other regional bus drivers (Durham, Brampton, etc.) have the same issues with regional buses picking up riders in neighbouring jurisdiction? Can MiWay buses pickup riders in Brampton?

Haven't wee seen ATU get in the way of integrated/ regional transit before? Weren't they resistant to TTC adopting Presto?
Yeah there are Miway routes that pickup/drop off people in Brampton (outside the major terminals as well)

I think some are, 57, 61, 66, 103

Are any of the TTC’s stabbers, platform pushers and homicidal firebugs ever found guilty?

Any guesses if Jordan O’Brien-Tobin will be found guilty for killing 16-year-old Gabriel Magalhaes?

The can of worms was opened by the provincial government with legislation allowing open door policies for cross border operators in Toronto. Though not sure who requested the provincial government for that legislation.

Outside of Toronto, the fares have been integrated since the widespread adoption of Presto, so it didn't matter to either the customer or the driver who picked up who within city limits.

Does the Union representing other regional bus drivers (Durham, Brampton, etc.) have the same issues with regional buses picking up riders in neighbouring jurisdiction?
The respective unions are not crazy about it, but at the same time there isn't (or wasn't) legislation preventing it like there was in Toronto.

Then again, they all had mutual transfer exchange programs amongst themselves. The TTC didn't until March.

Can MiWay buses pickup riders in Brampton?
Yes.

Haven't we seen ATU get in the way of integrated/ regional transit before? Weren't they resistant to TTC adopting Presto?
I can't recall the ATU being openly resistant to Presto, although a lot of the senior staff was. It took the Province forcing it upon the TTC for them to accept it.

Dan

Are any of the TTC’s stabbers, platform pushers and homicidal firebugs ever found guilty?

Any guesses if Jordan O’Brien-Tobin will be found guilty for killing 16-year-old Gabriel Magalhaes?
I can't tell if it's on purpose but a lot of the judges decisions lately have no basis in logic.

Back