News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 873     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 353     0 

TTC: Next Bus/Streetcar Arrival System

Hmm, if I select the 91A and select a northbounnd stop just north of Danforth, it shows me all 3 branches:

Hmm, though when I look at the 96, it does seem difficult to see all the branches ... hmm, and I see a 96S as well!

Yea I played around some more and it seems depending on what route you select you can see all/most of the routes at a given stop ?

Played around with the 36 (finch west) the bunching is already evident within 1 min of looking ...

I wonder if this, in the longer term, may push the TTC to address this issue. I think only if main steam media really pushes the issue and that gets to the Mayor's office.

You have to wonder, if this can be improved, we essentially get better service with no extra buses or drivers ... it could be a huge difference.

Since I'm getting an iPhone tomorrow, which apps do you recommend for the next streetcar info? Also, is Next TTC (the one I'm leaning to) going to incorporate the bus data once it comes online? Thanks.

I have an Android I just use the Nextbus website. I don't get a fancy map, but on most modern phones it will use the GPS and automatically load the closest stop.

DSC said:
There is still no link to NextBus from the main TTC webpage. Bizarre

It's there, but far more hidden than it should be:

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pr...ves/Next_vehicle_information_system/index.jsp

Near the bottom of the page...

You'd think that they would put up a link to this on the front page (especially of the mobile site for the reasons stated above), but that makes too much sense for the TTC I suppose. Better to charge people 15 cents a text while having them think there is no alternative available.

I have an Android I just use the Nextbus website. I don't get a fancy map, but on most modern phones it will use the GPS and automatically load the closest stop.
What link do you do to get the GPS ... I can't find any TTC app or website that works with GPS on my Blackbery ... though other apps have no problem accessing the GPS.

It's there, but far more hidden than it should be:
There's another one that's only slightly less buried on the Related Links (Related Links is onthe bottom of every page, in the middle). Then under Other click on NextBus - between Legacy Sportswear - Official TTC merchandise and Presto.

Still buried, but only 2 clicks off any TTC page, rather than 5.

Last edited:
What link do you do to get the GPS ... I can't find any TTC app or website that works with GPS on my Blackbery ... though other apps have no problem accessing the GPS.

Go to nextbus.com/webkit and it will activate your GPS, and display the times for the closest stops.

Go to nextbus.com/webkit and it will activate your GPS, and display the times for the closest stops.
Tried that a few times.

Always thinks I'm in San Francisco. Says my browser doesn't support geolocation.

Has anyone got this to work on a Blackberry? I tried installing a different browser once ... and about 12-hours later, the whole thing blew up, and I spent a long time, reinstalling the OS for the Blackberry, and resetting everything.

Tried that a few times.

Always thinks I'm in San Francisco. Says my browser doesn't support geolocation.

Has anyone got this to work on a Blackberry? I tried installing a different browser once ... and about 12-hours later, the whole thing blew up, and I spent a long time, reinstalling the OS for the Blackberry, and resetting everything.

My former Blackberry (who's screen died a week after warranty expired) could never get the GPS thing right... Aside from that, I couldn't invest more money into RIM.

Tried that a few times.

My replacement phone (Android 1.5) has the same issue. However my original phone (which was fixed through an upgrade to Android 2.2 rather than Bell and HTC honouring their warranty) has no problems whatsoever with it.

This is amazing! I can now sit in the comfort of my own home until the counter switches to 3 minutes and then start walking to the bus stop. No more being frustrated waiting for a bus in the heat or cold!

Tried that a few times.

It works on my BB. When travelling west of the city it will even call up stops in Guelph.
Check your browser's settings, perhaps you have geolocation disabled. I'm using BB OS version 6.

Last edited:
It works on my BB. When travelling west of the city it will even call up stops in Guelph.
Check your browser's settings, perhaps you have geolocation disabled. I'm using BB OS version 6.
Works fine in Google Maps - and FourSquare

Very interesting, went through about 10 of the routes I know best (36, 39, 29, 54, 32, 196, ...) now and very varied results. Some routes are actually decent (better then I thought), 39 for example (i.e. finch east) ... other routes are pretty bad though (some terrible given the time) ...

What have other seen ?

Nextbus, it works!

I was in my office about 5:15 this PM waiting for a phone call, to kill time I brought up Nextbus and chose to track my local bus route. The App showed 5 vehicles on the route 2 of which left the York Mills subway station together. I thought this was odd, possibly even incorrect data. The pair continued together all the way out to the east end of the route instead of one of them lollygagging around for 10 minutes or so to kill time as they usually do to correct their schedules.

I can see the busses passing the end of my street and sure enough the 2 empty vehicles charged by the start point about 20 seconds apart as Nextbus predicted.

My curiousity piqued, I continued to monitor their progress towards the subway, they stayed in convoy to a point west of Bayview where one of them parked for 10 minutes until the other bus arrived at Yonge street before proceeding. Motorists on York Mills must have been delighted to see the bus parked on a very narrow 4 lane road with his 4 ways on and the driver probably reading the paper.

I presume the TTC has access to this information but has no interest in acting on this sort of behaviour. Why?

Back