News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 794     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

These machines are their ka-ching machines. Can't run the stations gateless (free) for long. And booths cannot keep up at peak so they run free intentionally sometimes (but maybe should run fre shorter than they are now).

That, and they want to stop accepting tokens/metropasses soon (sometime in 2017). Herd everyone over to Presto-based tap tokens/passes quickly.

Shouldnt any major project that they do be considered as kaching machines??? The more they gamble on stretched timelines the more they risk losing out. No sense of urgency overall

Same for negative balances--you can now clear negative balances at the Self-Serve Reload Machines, which are also going to be located in every station. You can also clear negative balances by loading online. This was not previously the case, however they made it possible in an update quite a while ago.

That's good to hear! The last time I went into a negative balance was a couple of years ago when I got a replacement credit card.

I think having davisville, and GO stations, is sufficient. Not sure what the official plan is regarding that.

The TTC definitely needs more than just Davisville and "ask someone else to do it", but perhaps only major stations.

I'm extremely suspicious of this project...it seems to be moving very quickly for a ttc project...stations are being converted quickly...often within days or a week or two...has nobody let these guys know that they don't have to actually do the work...that empty job sites and mismanagement are what the ttc prefers?

Whoever is running this project is making everyone else at the ttc look bad...the escalator guys must be pissed...the accessible entrance project is embarrassed...the second entrance fire safety guys haven't noticed - but they haven't been in the office for a few months...the planning department is confused about who approved this thing, it was supposed to be replanned at least four times before some provincial hack was supposed to convert it into a billion dollar subway to the island...

It is going quickly, but not perfectly. There are several stations slated for completion in the summer that are still not done.

North York Centre should be going live any day now. I went through it today--half the faregates are powered and appear operational, but are still blocked off; the other half are unpowered and just open, with an operator and farebox for entry+exit. There is also a self-serve reload kiosk just to the right out of frame--I didn't actually try it but it looked operational; then again, about half of them systemwide on TTC+GO look operational at any given time but are just frozen on the main screen, to be fixed in 6-12 months from when they're reported to Presto/TTC/GO...

IMG_0068 (Custom).JPG

We're getting there! Almost done 2016, and it certainly looks good so far. I could see one or two stations missing the deadline, but it looks like they could pull it off, and the buses have been going very well (save for all of the out of order readers--ditto for the faregates).

Attachments

• IMG_0068 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0068 (Custom).JPG
    367 KB · Views: 564
Did you notice any new fare gates going at the automated entrance at the north end of concourse at North York Centre?

Did you notice any new fare gates going at the automated entrance at the north end of concourse at North York Centre?

No work has been done there, the old auto entrances are still present. The TTC's general practice with these installs has been to install them in stations which currently have 0 presto readers, and installing the faregates in just one entrance. Some stations like Bay and St Clair have varied, but they generally seem to be doing one entrance for most.

In 2017, I'd imagine their first priority will be taking all remaining entrances with no presto, and installing the faregates--such as the north entrance at North York Centre. Then, I presume they'll wait until everything else is done, and finally replace existing Presto turnstiles with faregates.

Back