News   Apr 19, 2024
 901     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 665     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

So when does Islington get fare gates? They have two Presto readers right now and it is still where Mississauga Transit drops all of their ridership since the new bus terminal at Kipling isn't in service yet. It is a high usage station and it mystifies me as to why they are not making it a priority.

So when does Islington get fare gates? They have two Presto readers right now and it is still where Mississauga Transit drops all of their ridership since the new bus terminal at Kipling isn't in service yet. It is a high usage station and it mystifies me as to why they are not making it a priority.
All stations that have presto readers will get fare gates in 2017 after all the stations that don't have presto available yet gets them by the end of this year.

According to the map at this link, Islington has PRESTO gates. Makes sense that that they would be where the Mississauga Transit drop-off would be, because Mississauga Transit already has PRESTO. Guess you mean that they need more PRESTO gates?

According to the map at this link, Islington has PRESTO gates. Makes sense that that they would be where the Mississauga Transit drop-off would be, because Mississauga Transit already has PRESTO. Guess you mean that they need more PRESTO gates?

Actually, they only have two fare readers stuck on standard gates. I go through there every day. Good to know from others that it will get the gates next year.

I wish they would do St George already. They only have Presto on the Bedford entrance. Meanwhile, the bulk of U of T students are using the St George side. When I'm in a hurry I don't have time to run around to Bedford... so annoying to have to carry tokens still.

Their replacement priority is super odd from a user perspective - going out of the way to avoid the most heavily used stations where the new gates would provide the most benefits.

AoD

Their replacement priority is super odd from a user perspective - going out of the way to avoid the most heavily used stations where the new gates would provide the most benefits.

AoD

Well I think some of the replacement priority is focused on getting at least one entrance at every subway/RT station Presto-enabled before the end of the year. Scarborough and East York are still suffering in this regard.

Well I think some of the replacement priority is focused on getting at least one entrance at every subway/RT station Presto-enabled before the end of the year. Scarborough and East York are still suffering in this regard.
judging on their history of priority of work it shouldnt be surprising.......

Seems like they're doing them based on locations. First they did all the transfer points to other transit systems (STC, Main Street, etc.), then they did downtown and streetcar stops (St. Clair and St. Clair West), now they're working on the west end. It seems like they're gonna do work in this order:

1. Finish the west end (Runnymede and Jane)
2. Rest of the Spadina line (Eg West, Glencairn, Lawrence West, Wilson)
3. Yonge and Sheppard subways (Summerhill, Eglinton, Lawrence, NYCC, Bayview, Bessarion, Leslie, Rosedale)
4. Bloor East and Danforth
5. SRT

AoD
I assume that some stations are easier (faster) to do as their electrics are less in need of relocation/enhancement. I also assume that a great deal of work has already occurred before we see old gates removed.

There are really two projects going on (PRESTO readers and new gates) with the new gates project being added only after quite a few stations got PRESTO readers on old gates. They had already installed PRESTO readers on (old) turnstiles in many of the busier stations and these (gates and readers) will not be replaced until all stations have at least some readers.

Spadina station had its old gates ripped out last year for Presto reader installation, but they stuck the same old gates back in after. The new gates had already been announced at that point, so I wonder if they did the required electrical work to support them and it's just a matter of swapping them in. I guess we'll see.

Back