News   May 03, 2024
 931     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 565     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 275     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Well, the tweet seems to imply they are already looks at implementing this at some stations. Though I do agree that these measures should have been in place day 1.

Nothing that's sent in a Twitter reply means anything. The Twitter feed is run by random staff in the customer support office whose job is only to help customers. They're not sending suggestions from the tweeting public anywhere.

Nothing that's sent in a Twitter reply means anything. The Twitter feed is run by random staff in the customer support office whose job is only to help customers. They're not sending suggestions from the tweeting public anywhere.
While it seems highly plausible that this is the case, is there any evidence to support this?

Well, if it's from someone like Steve Munro...

but I suppose he has his unofficial contacts inside the TTC, so he doesn't have to rely on twitter

The TTC despite what I am constantly told really doesn't seem very good at transit operations. I'd argue Translink, for example, is far better.

In some ways Translink is wonderful but it's not without gaps in service. While I haven't relied on it in many years, it used to take 20 minutes (includes wait time) to go the ~2km from Denman & Robson St to BC Place during peak service; Google trip planner indicates that's still the case. There's pretty strong density between those points for a fairly limited rush bus service.

Clearly some common tourist routes such as the Airport to downtown are vastly superior to what either TTC or GO (including UPX) currently provides.

Clearly some common tourist routes such as the Airport to downtown are vastly superior to what either TTC or GO (including UPX) currently provides.
In Vancouver? Both airports have very good service - much better than a few years ago.

But how is Vancouver vastly superior? Late evening the Skytrain only comes every 20 minutes at the airport, with the last departure from the airport before 1 AM. The UP express has every 15 minutes to 1 AM, but the TTC Airport rocket runs every 10 minutes until 2 AM (and as good as every 6 minutes at busier times). Even overnight, TTC is every 20 minutes from Pearson ( other than the 30-minute gap between 4 and 4:30 AM. Compare to the TransLink night bus that as far as I can tell, only departs the airport 3 times between 1:30 AM and 2:30 AM! And then there's a myriad of other transit services to Pearson such as the express GO buses to Finch, Highway 407/Richmond Hill, and Hamilton which all run 24/7, MiWay, Brampton, TTC 52/952 etc.

Does Vancouver airport even have ANY bus services other than 3 N10 night bus departures a day? As a tourist, I'd hope to go to the airport website, and see how to get to Surrey, Delta, or Langley - but I see nothing, other than the occasional bus to Whistler.

I'm not seeing how service to the airport in Vancouver is superior ... let alone VASTLY superior!

I'm not seeing how service to the airport in Vancouver is superior ... let alone VASTLY superior!

That's fair, it was a statement based on anecdote. I've not waited more than 5 minutes but also haven't ever looked up the schedules.

It was the only personal Translink experience I had to offer where I thought "this is great". Ferries are fun for a couple days but they get old quickly

Last edited:
Often when I exit at College northbound during the evening rush hour there is a challenge exiting the station due to the new gates. There are no gates directly opposite the subway, presumably that spot is walled off for easy large equipment moves. But there are usually people entering the subway at the same time and the first one or two gates near the escalator are in use for entry. Oncoming passengers end up staring each other off while people start bunching up at the top of the escalator until somebody entering the station blinks and changes gates. It would be super helpful if the gate closest to the escalator, which is an up escalator, was set to exit only. It would make passenger flow much simpler.

Oh, and when will the King station commerce court entrance finally get the new fare gates? The TTC has to keep the station staffed at all times now since the after hour gates are still token and defunct metro pass only.

Often when I exit at College northbound during the evening rush hour there is a challenge exiting the station due to the new gates. There are no gates directly opposite the subway, presumably that spot is walled off for easy large equipment moves. But there are usually people entering the subway at the same time and the first one or two gates near the escalator are in use for entry. Oncoming passengers end up staring each other off while people start bunching up at the top of the escalator until somebody entering the station blinks and changes gates. It would be super helpful if the gate closest to the escalator, which is an up escalator, was set to exit only. It would make passenger flow much simpler.

Oh, and when will the King station commerce court entrance finally get the new fare gates? The TTC has to keep the station staffed at all times now since the after hour gates are still token and defunct metro pass only.

The building containing this entrance is supposed to be demolished as part of the CC3 proposal.

I am as yet unclear on what mitigation plan is proposed for King Stn as pushing those crowds though already crowded main mezzanine doesn't seem viable.

I had wondered if they might try to keep it in operation during construction (Demo around it) but i'm thinking the absence of investment by the TTC may indicate otherwise.

There was a preliminary site-visit meeting on the Commerce Court entrance to King Station for some local groups a few weeks ago. These gates will be installed at the same time as they install elevators at King as part of the Easier Access Program; these elevators will be in that area and the Melinda Street (CIBC) entrance will be rebuilt; there was no talk about closing that entrance during the elevator project. The CC3 work is slightly further south and will not, apparently, greatly affect King Station. They plan to start relocating utilities on Yonge and King/Melinda in fall 2019 with work on the elevators starting early in 2020. There will be a public info meeting on this project in September.

Does anyone know why they installed a gate for the elevator at St Patrick. Was it to prevent fare inspection or something?

Same reason why there will be a gate for the elevator at Runnymede Station. For access from the unpaid to the paid area.

1546548427357-png.169572

From link.

Reactions: DSC

Back