News   Jul 17, 2024
 259     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 963     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 558     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

The gates are very often broken it seems. I think it is b/c they are timed to open a split second later than an average Torontonian walks. As you approach at the last second it just does not open - you stop - then it opens once you stop. I think many people just push through - hence broken.

The gates are very often broken it seems. I think it is b/c they are timed to open a split second later than an average Torontonian walks. As you approach at the last second it just does not open - you stop - then it opens once you stop. I think many people just push through - hence broken.

I wonder if there is a software patch that can make the timing more instantaneous...

Umm no...the gates just don't open fast enough!

I noticed that earlier. I was at Bay Station, walked towards the gate and stood in front of the sensors for a second. I was not in any hurry, I was not rushing into the gates I was just standing there in front of the sensors. It took about 25 seconds for it to open.

I noticed that earlier. I was at Bay Station, walked towards the gate and stood in front of the sensors for a second. I was not in any hurry, I was not rushing into the gates I was just standing there in front of the sensors. It took about 25 seconds for it to open.
Did you mean 2.5?

Did you mean 2.5?
2.5 seconds is still too slow. If anything I'm looking forward to the gong show that will happen when Union and Finch go online. I'm thinking that perhaps during rush hours, the gates should be programmed to stay in an open position and only close when one fails to tap/swipe upon entering...this might be way too complicated for the TTC to wrap their mind around...

Who wants to do a data comparison of passenger faregate transaction-flow:

Last edited:
2.5 seconds is still too slow. If anything I'm looking forward to the gong show that will happen when Union and Finch go online. I'm thinking that perhaps during rush hours, the gates should be programmed to stay in an open position and only close when one fails to tap/swipe upon entering...this might be way too complicated for the TTC to wrap their mind around...

It will be a bloody disaster. Lines forming at the busiest stations on the line and all because of the gates. People will start forcing their way through or the gates will break.

Either way, on the bright side it will force the TTC to correct the issue.

There is a HUGE difference between 2.5 and 25. If you expect people to pay attention to your posts it may be best not to destroy your credibility.

I may have overestimated by a factor of 10. Either way it was slow enough that it will cause issues upon full implementation.

So is the delay after the beep that indicates the card has been read or for reading the card? Just curious for comparison to the slowness here in Ottawa

There are sensors built into the gates themselves, when you step into the gate it triggers the actuator and pops the paddles open. The delay is in between the time it takes for the sensors to read your presence and the paddles to pop open.

I was not using Presto, I was just trying to leave the station.

There are sensors built into the gates themselves, when you step into the gate it triggers the actuator and pops the paddles open. The delay is in between the time it takes for the sensors to read your presence and the paddles to pop open.

I was not using Presto, I was just trying to leave the station.

Ah you meant on exit. Yes the gates here are equally slow. On entry it's not a problem here because the delay it seems on reading your presto card gives the gate plenty of time to catch up.

Of course there were no gates at all here before so people aren't complaining as much since there's no reference point to compare to.

Back