News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

So at the Wilson Station entrance from the main parking lot they are removing the old turnstiles which accept tokens or Metropass and replacing with the new Presto fare gates.

Signs were up for a few weeks saying the entrance would be closed from January 6 to January 9 at 6pm to do the work. I was surprised how short this work would take and also how precise the end time was. But then figured the TTC has done this exact thing across the network so at this point maybe they’ve mastered it.

I was wrong. Today a new sign was up. The work would be completed in “mid-February”. What a joke…

The entrance to the station was closed from the 6th to the 9th. At no point did they state on the notice that the new gates were going to be completed, only that the entrance would have to be closed for that period.

Perhaps they could have given more information in the notice, but there's nothing in there that was misleading.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The entrance to the station was closed from the 6th to the 9th. At no point did they state on the notice that the new gates were going to be completed, only that the entrance would have to be closed for that period.

Perhaps they could have given more information in the notice, but there's nothing in there that was misleading.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think I hear what you are saying... but the entrance (not just gates) is now closed until mid-Feb, so it is misleading.

You are implying the entrance would be closed for the weekend but then re-opened but the gates closed...that's not the case. Not that it matters, since that entrance only has gates and a token machine.

Keep in mind they just shut down one of the Wilson lots and also raised the price by a buck...so bad timing to shut down this entrance and upset commuters at this lot even more...

I don't have an issue with people eating on transit. It could be for a medical reason, or because they work three jobs and spend hours everyday on transit and would otherwise have no time to eat and stay healthy, or it could simply be because other people do it.

But as with many things, common sense, consideration and responsibility should all prevail - choose the snack food wisely, be considerate of others with noise and smell, be discreet and dispose of your trash properly. These things have nothing to do with human rights legislation, but with being an adult, decent human being. Sad that being a responsible adult seems to be such an insurmountable hurdle for some people.

I don't have an issue with people eating on transit. It could be for a medical reason, or because they work three jobs and spend hours everyday on transit and would otherwise have no time to eat and stay healthy, or it could simply be because other people do it.

But as with many things, common sense, consideration and responsibility should all prevail - choose the snack food wisely, be considerate of others with noise and smell, be discreet and dispose of your trash properly. These things have nothing to do with human rights legislation, but with being an adult, decent human being. Sad that being a responsible adult seems to be such an insurmountable hurdle for some people.

What does this have to do with the new fare gates? Even the mod is not staying on topic.

I think I hear what you are saying... but the entrance (not just gates) is now closed until mid-Feb, so it is misleading.

You are implying the entrance would be closed for the weekend but then re-opened but the gates closed...that's not the case. Not that it matters, since that entrance only has gates and a token machine.

Keep in mind they just shut down one of the Wilson lots and also raised the price by a buck...so bad timing to shut down this entrance and upset commuters at this lot even more...

I wasn't implying anything - I was in the neighbourhood on Saturday and read the sign that was up at the time. And I had been told that the entrance was supposed to be reopened today, with the work for the new fare gates going on behind hoarding. Apparently something has changed there that required the entrance to remain closed, or my contact had received incorrect information. (To be fair, either is quite possible within the TTC.)

In which case, I have to agree with your original conclusion - it does seem bloody stupid to put up a sign for a short-term closure only to replace it immediately afterwards to indicate a far longer-term closure. I would love to know what precipitated this.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

While TTC has crises (especially pre-Andy Byford), it is currently far worse in Washington DC now -- It's really bad now and now a modern textbook case study of a subway falling apart.
-- Washington Metro 40 and Creaking, Stairs at a Midlife Crisis
-- Washington Metro Getting Ready for Bankruptcy?
etc.

(google actually makes TTC looks amazing in comparision)

In 2015, the Washington Metro (a subway! a subway!) were, combined, worse than Toronto's GO Transit disruptions! More total hours of closures, full-day network-wide closures, instances of waiting for hours on stuck trains, etc.

TTC? Hah... Especially now under Andy and the new open-gangway trains, TTC is a beacon of reliability, relatively speaking.

We may complain a lot, but we don't realize how good we have it now -- even pre-Andy Byford the TTC was relatively good compared to today's Washington Metro problems. More deaths from multiple train disasters & more delays has occured on Washington Metro.

It is still not perfect, and it needs improvement, but TTC is luckier than Washington DC at the moment. They seem to finally be scrambling to catch up and may have their moments.
Looks like the plan is working....

Not all credit card machine actually work when you try a "tap-n-go".

contactless-payments.jpg

Some machines still have to get you to sign a piece of paper.
I think it depends on how the machine has been programed and also how the card has been set up by the credit card company. For example Americans are now just getting chip and pin but don't have pin numbers yet on the cards bu because our machines are set up to read a chip if it's on the card it has to be red with a chip. Alos certain dollar amounts have to have a signature if you tap with a credit card to prevent credit card fraud.

So at the Wilson Station entrance from the main parking lot they are removing the old turnstiles which accept tokens or Metropass and replacing with the new Presto fare gates.

Signs were up for a few weeks saying the entrance would be closed from January 6 to January 9 at 6pm to do the work. I was surprised how short this work would take and also how precise the end time was. But then figured the TTC has done this exact thing across the network so at this point maybe they’ve mastered it.

I was wrong. Today a new sign was up. The work would be completed in “mid-February”. What a joke…
The initial date was for removal of the old fare gates after they remove them they have to cut into the floor to add the data and power cables for the new gates after that they have to repair the floor before they install the new gates and then test them it takes about 3 weeks to do it as they have a number of crews working on it each doing a different part of the job

The initial date was for removal of the old fare gates after they remove them they have to cut into the floor to add the data and power cables for the new gates after that they have to repair the floor before they install the new gates and then test them it takes about 3 weeks to do it as they have a number of crews working on it each doing a different part of the job
This is similar to road work, where difference crew have to install hydro, water mains, data/phone lines, etc. They can't all work at the same time as they're doing it in relatively the same place.

What does this have to do with the new fare gates? Even the mod is not staying on topic.

Thread discussions commonly and naturally veer into related topics. That's typically how humans converse. A few posts on transit rider behaviour in a thread on transit infrastructure is not the end of the world as long as the whole thread isn't being sidetracked (which wasn't the case here). As with eating on TTC vehicles, it's okay as long as people use common sense and restraint. ;)

This is one of the things that frustrates me to no end, every time there is a delay or anything of the sort the TTC gets absolutely lit up on Facebook and Twitter about being the worst in North America. I've gotten to a point of indifference on the endless people who pout nonsense and then get liked hundreds of times, the problem is I really do believe the TTC has a major PR problem. Since I have moved to Toronto in September I have ridden all over the TTC on a daily basis, the system has it's problems but, far less than the public gives it credit for.

People in Toronto love to complain about anything and everything. That's all there is to it.

I find it interesting the number of poel I encounter when I'm on the TTC that don't know about Presto or that it's going to become the only way to pay fare on the TTC. I wonder if in the coming year we will see the TTC getting the media to help them promote it more to the general public.

I don't know about that, perhaps not knowing it will be the only option but I don't think many people who regularly ride transit don't notice the readers beeps and people tapping in.
They do but most people don't actually seem to know that presto cards will be the only form of payment on the TTC.

I find it interesting the number of poel I encounter when I'm on the TTC that don't know about Presto or that it's going to become the only way to pay fare on the TTC. I wonder if in the coming year we will see the TTC getting the media to help them promote it more to the general public.

I think the TTC would rather not tell people at the moment. They're still ironing out the remaining issues with the system, and they'd probably prefer it if the people who currently buy a metropass for commuting or convenience rather than actual need kept doing so. That has to be the biggest cost of adopting Presto for the TTC - people are going to realize that you can get a tax credit for 32 fares in four weeks, and start doing that since they don't need to carry tokens around.

This is similar to road work, where difference crew have to install hydro, water mains, data/phone lines, etc. They can't all work at the same time as they're doing it in relatively the same place.

How are everyday passengers supposed to know that? They see a sign saying closed until Jan 9 at 6pm, they don't know another crew is coming with some other sign.

In any case the sign is still up in parts of the station....FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 248

Back