News   Jul 26, 2024
 981     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Design or function should have been the top priority
True, but the TTC (or any of us) cannot avoid looking at the cost of things we buy too. Yes, cost includes looking at lifetime costs (and expected lifetime) and, of course, you need to ensure in your specs that what you buy will do what you want it to do.

Design or function should have been the top priority

Maybe not the top priority, but it's high up there.

The TTC put out an RFP, and got back responses from a number of different manufacturers. They then viewed and tested at least some of those offerings, and for whatever reason this one was the one they liked the most.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I checked the TTC website and it still shows the Bloor-Danforth Blue Night bus, the 65 Parliament bus and the 94 Wellesley bus as not having Presto yet. Can anyone confirm that those do have Presto now? (The 65 Parliament is one of the worst buses downtown to wait for, and I'd hate to stand 20 minutes at a bus stop only to find out that the bus doesn't have Presto.)

EDIT: Posted in this thread in error. I should have created a separate thread. Sorry.

I checked the TTC website and it still shows the Bloor-Danforth Blue Night bus, the 65 Parliament bus and the 94 Wellesley bus as not having Presto yet. Can anyone confirm that those do have Presto now? (The 65 Parliament is one of the worst buses downtown to wait for, and I'd hate to stand 20 minutes at a bus stop only to find out that the bus doesn't have Presto.)

EDIT: Posted in this thread in error. I should have created a separate thread. Sorry.
The TTC website ( http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/Buses.jsp ) has not yet been updated to show the last routes getting PRESTO - I assume someone went away for Christmas a bit early... (The 121 has had PRESTO on every bus I have been on for several weeks and it is also listed as 'not Presto, yet).

Hoardings are up at the Royal York Grenview entrance. Human fare collector at this entrance for the first time since 1968. Good to see TTC getting to the secondsry entrances!

- Paul
IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2543.JPG
    IMG_2543.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 247
Last edited by a moderator:
Hoardings are up at the Royal York Grenview entrance. Human fare collector at this entrance for the first time since 1968. Good to see TTC getting to the secondsry entrances!

- PaulView attachment 94902View attachment 94902

My entire life to now that entrance has been a ghost town. The fare gates will bring a lot of activity to these disused entrances/exits.

Imagine. For thirty years, we've been walking around the block past perfectly good entrances to the 'main' entrance to flash a Metropass. Ugh.

Last edited:
My entire life to now that entrance has been a ghost town. The fare gates will bring a lot of activity to these disused entrances/exits.

Imagine. For thirty years, we've been walking around the block past perfectly good entrances to the 'main' entrance to flash a Metropass. Ugh.
They didn't have a turnstile for metropass?

Lots of automated entrances had "revolving doors" that accepted token or pass.
yes but there are a number of people that don't swipe them I have seen a number of poel looking confused at the new fare gates even when one with a metropass reader is in front of them. I sometimes wonder if the poel shat don't want to swipe them actually have bought them from les legal means.

5 of the 8 gates at Dufferin Station on the north side of the subway concourse were showing a red X this morning. This is the kind of thing that has really impacted the optics of the Prestocard system as a whole. It's already got a reputation as being a botched rollout of a bad system for the TTC and when you exit the subway and see more than half of the brand new gates not working, it cements that perception.

5 of the 8 gates at Dufferin Station on the north side of the subway concourse were showing a red X this morning. This is the kind of thing that has really impacted the optics of the Prestocard system as a whole. It's already got a reputation as being a botched rollout of a bad system for the TTC and when you exit the subway and see more than half of the brand new gates not working, it cements that perception.

One reason for the full rollout to Presto will take until 2018.

Back