News   Apr 16, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     6 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

the lrt people simply don't believe the numbers. If Jesus told me these numbers were in fact true then I would be with the subway. But I have a hard time believing there is no bias in the numbers. Also the three stop subway was decent but ONE stop. My goodness I have a hard time with that. Everyone keeps throwing around the word network. I want a network as well. I would like someone to propose converting Sheppard Subway to LRT. Instead were living in a subways or nothing world. Which makes me concerned that the Eglinton line will not be extended. I wish I had the faith to think that we are actually going to build a DRL, Scarborough Subway, Eglinton extension, Finch to Yonge, all before 2031. But the older I get the more sceptical I get.

Many places around the world have express subway service.

Also the what caught my attention is the SSE costing about the same as the TYSSE but moving more people.

STC station being #7 overall in ridership at opening date.

I mean when are we going to stop nitpicking until we find something to dismiss this subway.

My God, Vaughan and Richmond Hill doesn't get a fraction of that scrutiny yet we're happy to build them subways "to help" their city centre grow, but we refuse to do it for our own city.

What's wrong with us? City staff stated clearly that this city is competing against other centres in the GTA, and here we are drinking the "cool-aid" of councillors who want Scarborough to stay the way it is.

Not a single one of them LRT councillor said a single word about the Renaissance of STC brought forth by city staff. They disregarded it like it didn't matter and that's a fact.

Unbelievable...

Let's just build it, redevelop and rethink Scarborough Centre and move on once and for all

Last edited:
The same council who just yesterday put in place budget cuts across all city departments is now proposing all these subways. We can't afford to run this city properly but we have these know-it-alls proposing all this nonsense.

While in general I agree that this Council has absolutely no idea how to do anything (one wonders how they dress themselves in the morning), the cuts approved yesterday are in the operating budget, while the projects today would come out of the capital budget. Which is equally a mess lol. Just wanted to point out the difference.

the lrt people simply don't believe the numbers. If Jesus told me these numbers were in fact true then I would be with the subway. But I have a hard time believing there is no bias in the numbers. Also the three stop subway was decent but ONE stop. My goodness I have a hard time with that. Everyone keeps throwing around the word network. I want a network as well. I would like someone to propose converting Sheppard Subway to LRT. Instead were living in a subways or nothing world. Which makes me concerned that the Eglinton line will not be extended. I wish I had the faith to think that we are actually going to build a DRL, Scarborough Subway, Eglinton extension, Finch to Yonge, all before 2031. But the older I get the more sceptical I get.

I supported subways for a long time. But I've come to see LRT as more supportable in the context of improved suburban rail and better system integration between GO and the TTC. However, it makes it really hard to support LRTs sometimes when there are zero concessions being offered. For example, why is a Malvern Town Centre stop not on the agenda. This stop was cut. With it, most Malvern residents would be within about a 7 min bus ride to the LRT. Instead, most buses will be going half way to town centre to intercept the LRT at Sheppard/Progress. That makes the subway somewhat appealing (one less transfer) and bolsters Cho's argument to extend the subway to McCowan/Sheppard. Interestingly, it was Cho who gave a passionate speech defending LRT against Rob Ford (how soon people forget that). I always predicted he'd flip flop.

Similarly, why not say, "We're going to remove the transfer at Don Mills with a continuous LRT service", and we'll do it as part of a service that includes added stop(s) on the existing Sheppard Subway and westward extension. Beyond that, hold Tory and Metrolinx to account with Smart Track and RER. Ask them to deliver the fast commuter service that people need instead of just knocking minutes off a subway or LRT ride.

The LRTs can be sold. "One seat ride from Malvern Town to Yonge." But they've botched the plan just enough to impact it's marketability. And now they are pitching a flawed LRT plan to replace a flawed subway plan, with the only argument being $$$. Take Cho for example. He supported the LRT plan before. They lost him, in no small part, because of that cut to Sheppard/Progress.

The same council who just yesterday put in place budget cuts across all city departments is now proposing all these subways. We can't afford to run this city properly but we have these know-it-alls proposing all this nonsense.

Every cities on this planet have skeletons in their closets. That's not excuse to stall on ambitous transit and city building.

If every city waited to have their house in order before expanding their transit, nothing on this planet would ever get build.

While in general I agree that this Council has absolutely no idea how to do anything (one wonders how they dress themselves in the morning), the cuts approved yesterday are in the operating budget, while the projects today would come out of the capital budget. Which is equally a mess lol. Just wanted to point out the difference.

And once we build these subways, don't we operate them or will they operate themselves. We can't even afford to operate what we have and we have these politicians pushing these pipe dreams.

And once we build these subways, don't we operate them or will they operate themselves. We can't even afford to operate what we have and we have these politicians pushing these pipe dreams.

We can operate what we have. With higher taxes. Those are inevitable. Politicians will bite the bullet eventually.....

Every cities on this planet have skeletons in their closets. That's not excuse to stall on ambitous transit and city building.

If every city waited to have their house in order before expanding their transit, nothing on this planet would ever get build.

Ambition is building something soon and not selling us nonsensical plans. Most of this won't be built. How many times have we seen these proposals rehashed?

We can operate what we have. With higher taxes. Those are inevitable. Politicians will bite the bullet eventually.....

Yeah I wonder why these politicians aren't jumping on higher taxes instead of finding new efficiencies every year.

If you think all of that will be built I have bridge in Nigeria to sell you..
and these councillors know it won;t be built and are probably hoping once PC get in provincially they will withdraw their financial support for some lines

Looks like Toronto is about to get it's subway renaissance: (Sheppard, Scarborough, Bloor West, grade-separated Crosstown West and DRL)

Exciting times.

You mean Subway Plan Renaissance, Very little of this will actually get built.

All that scarborough will get is one Subway stop and nothing else, not even the funded and approved, and already started construction Sheppard LRT

With the Feds pitching 50% of shovel ready projects, why not? This is a once a generation opportunity to catch up other world class cities and leave a strong subway network for our future generations to expand upon.
I cannot see them financing 50% of 3-4 lines in toronto

Matlow's motion failed. 16-27.

Hopefully, we can move on, once and for all.....

Agree totally. It was the wrong decision in my view, but further delay and debate will be the greater evil. What's done is done.

My respect for some of the players is at a new low, however. 2018 can't come soon enough.

- Paul

Back