News   Apr 24, 2024
 594     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 810     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 540     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

This illiterate fool has some pretty compelling reasons to build the subway.

Screen shot 2016-07-13 at 6.05.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-13 at 6.05.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-13 at 6.05.40 PM.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 467
I've been watching the debate off and on all day.

I feel like killing myself. We have no hope at all in this city with a Council like this. We will go bankrupt in no time, burst at the seams with congestion, and we are setting ourselves back for 25 years when we least need it.

Let me tabulate the totally irrelevant reasons why Council is defending subways subways subways.

"Scarborough only has 3 subway stations, North York has X, Downtown has Y"

"I hope I never have to have this debate again so let's just make a decision and get on with it"

"Scarborough Centre is the only City Centre in Toronto not connected by subway"

"When I go back to my home country X they are building subways everywhere"

"I talked to a couple from country X and they are converting from LRT to subway"

"We have to think long-term and not short-term"

"There was no development on Yonge before the Subway was built, the Subway brought condos condos everywhere"

"All you

"I'm not voting for the SSE because of politics but because of evidence"

That last one is rich.

I could go on and on but you'll notice none of these reasons are rational, evidence-based, based on actual ridership, fiscally responsible, grounded in widening the breadth of transit as much as possible.

Toronto City Council and Mayor Tory have totally lost any (little) credibility they had. Throw all these idiots out.

But hey that's Toronto folks!!

Enjoy your gold-plated subway ride to STC!

This guy has been to China? Well guess what so have I. That doesn't make me a transit expert. Also Im pretty sure people who look to buy detached 4 bedroom houses don't want their neighbourhoods looking like a lot of china which is not downtown Toronto but downtown NYC on steroids.

This illiterate fool has some pretty compelling reasons to build the subway.

View attachment 81111

He's positioning himself for his PC party run in the byelection. And he's a totally useless councillor. My father does some work for him. Once, my dad called about a local businessperson needing help on some city related issues. Cho told my dad he can talk to this businessperson in a few months. The guy runs on inertia and some ties to community groups.

It's just amusing listening to all those councillors stretching it on how LRT is better, while completely disregarding the city building aspect of the project.

Quite frankly...they talk about a project most of them will never ride in their lifetime. I wonder how many of them actually took the SRT in recent years

Seriously doubt that. The downtown core is becoming less and less affordable. And the unit sizes are getting smaller and smaller. All the new hot real estate markets are now outside the core.

Congrats. You've proven why the Scarborough crowd is fighting tooth and nail for the subway. They see what it's done for Yonge st and Sheppard East in North York. And they agree with you. The only way to attract people to Scarborough (in their opinion) is with nodal development centred around a subway.

Which new hot real estate markets are these?

Looks like Toronto is about to get it's subway renaissance: (Sheppard, Scarborough, Bloor West, grade-separated Crosstown West and DRL)

Exciting times.

It's just amusing listening to all those councillors stretching it on how LRT is better, while completely disregarding the city building aspect of the project.

Quite frankly...they talk about a project most of them will never ride in their lifetime. I wonder how many of them actually took the SRT in recent years
the lrt people simply don't believe the numbers. If Jesus told me these numbers were in fact true then I would be with the subway. But I have a hard time believing there is no bias in the numbers. Also the three stop subway was decent but ONE stop. My goodness I have a hard time with that. Everyone keeps throwing around the word network. I want a network as well. I would like someone to propose converting Sheppard Subway to LRT. Instead were living in a subways or nothing world. Which makes me concerned that the Eglinton line will not be extended. I wish I had the faith to think that we are actually going to build a DRL, Scarborough Subway, Eglinton extension, Finch to Yonge, all before 2031. But the older I get the more sceptical I get.

Looks like Toronto is about to get it's subway renaissance: (Sheppard, Scarborough, Bloor West, grade-separated Crosstown West and DRL)

Exciting times.
If you think all of that will be built I have bridge in Nigeria to sell you..

Exciting times.
With the Feds pitching 50% of shovel ready projects, why not? This is a once a generation opportunity to catch up other world class cities and leave a strong subway network for our future generations to expand upon.

The same council who just yesterday put in place budget cuts across all city departments is now proposing all these subways. We can't afford to run this city properly but we have these know-it-alls proposing all this nonsense.

Back