News   Apr 26, 2024
 468     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I have been saying since 2005 at TTC Commissioners meetings that we will see longer headway when I was calling for a 1:1 replacement and leaving the schedule as is, due to the pend up demand for more service then.

Once you put these lowfloor cars on the lines, the accessibility community will finally have east-west service south of the BD subway line that they don't have today. At the same time, more strollers will make their way onto these cars that can't be done today with the highfloor cars.

The extra 60 cars will offer some improvement of service, but not the expansion still to come.

Once you put these lowfloor cars on the lines, the accessibility community will finally have east-west service south of the BD subway line that they don't have today. At the same time, more strollers will make their way onto these cars that can't be done today with the highfloor cars.
Even on accessible routes, you don't see wheelchairs every day. There's lots of huge strollers already on the streetcars. It might get a bit worse, but I don't think that either are going to change things that significantly.

Is there that much pent-up demand? There may be more demand if they could run a regular service, but I don't see why short-turning and route management would be any better with the new streetcars than it is with the old ones, on most routes. Maybe Spadina or King might have some significant pent up demand, but I don't think most routes do.

New TTC streetcars to offer better ride, but longer waits

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...rs-to-offer-better-ride-but-longer-waits.html

The TTC plans to widen the headways — the gap between streetcars coming down the line — on most of its routes at rush hour once the fleet of 204 new, accessible Bombardier streetcars comes online by the end of the decade. Off-peak headways will mostly remain the same, as will the problematic Queen route. On other routes, however, rush hour waits will increase slightly. Transit officials say riders will be rewarded with more reliable service and, because the new vehicles are bigger, they won’t have to wait two or three cars to board.

- But city Councillor Gord Perks (Parkdale-High Park) doesn’t accept the trade-off. He sees is as a customer service setback and says he will argue at council in favour of approving the purchase this year of an additional 60 streetcars — a move that would cost $366 million, starting with $53 million this year. TTC officials say the decision can wait a year but Perks fears that pushing off the purchase puts it at risk. With those 60 cars, the TTC says it wouldn’t need to increase wait times or, even if it did so temporarily, it could roll them back as the extra cars are introduced. --- It doesn’t matter that the waits will only be a minute or two longer, said Perks. “When I’m waiting on a cold day, I don’t care that there’s an empty seat further up the line,” he said.

- The wait for a streetcar has been climbing since 1990. Twenty-five years ago, the gap between streetcars on Dundas was three minutes, 15 seconds. Today it is five minutes and 15 seconds. When the new streetcars come online, the TTC plans gaps of six minutes, 45 seconds in the morning peak. “It is a daily occurrence to watch somebody give up and take a taxi,” said Perks, who admits that two or three times a month he offers to split a cab with other people at his stop. The TTC says that with fewer cars on a route — 204 new cars compared with the existing fleet of 247 — the service will be better managed. Riders won’t have the frustration of waiting a long time and then having two or three cars show up at their stop.

- But Perks doesn’t believe that. “You have to accept there will be idiots making left turns and delivery vans inappropriately parked and two people with strollers at the same stop . . . One little mistake creates the bunching and when you have bigger headways the likelihood of something going wrong between two cars is increased,” he said. TTC commissioner Joe Mihevc agrees that longer headways are a negative. But they make the most difference during the off-peak, when waits tend to be longer anyway, he said — and those waits won’t change. “The issue in the peak is crowding. In the off-peak it’s waiting,” said the Ward 21, St. Paul’s, councillor, who championed the separate streetcar lane on St. Clair.

505 Dundas:
Current: 5 minutes, 15 seconds
Planned: 6 minutes, 45 seconds

504 King:
Current: 1 minutes, 51 seconds
Planned: 2 minutes, 10 seconds

512 St. Clair:
Current: 2 minutes, 50 seconds
Planned: 4 minutes, 10 seconds

510 Spadina:
Current: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
Planned: 3 minutes, 30 seconds

511 Bathurst:
Current: 4 minutes, 15 seconds
Planned: 5 minutes

So, does the TTC believe that they will actually be able to maintain those scheduled headways? Currently, their on-time performance for some of those routes is terrible.

For instance, they are advertising 6 min 45s on 505 Dundas, but it currently has a ~50% on-time rating.

Is there any news on 4405's arrival? And are they going to be testing each new one as extensively as they have so far? Sounds like it will be a long time before the new ones are in service.

Why are the numbers "4405" in black and not white?

It's a special paint that changes colour as the unit goes through it's 600 hours of testing....if it gets to 300 without anyone pressing the panic button it is essentially grey and then fades to white....pretty neeto stuff! ;)

Who are you, oh "Mystery Defender of All Those that Ride the Rails"?

Tell us who you are. Otherwise I don't see why we should care if you spoke up or not.

Do you expect an answer that will be sufficiently different from the last 10 times you've copy pasted the exact same post over into this thread to warrant asking again? The answer was given before and it's he's not Batman.

He's correctly predicted and called out the fustercluck at the corporate welfare recipient Bombardier Thunder Bay so that would make him more of a somebody than a nobody (you).

PS I noticed in the picture posted a few pages back there was a window broken before it even left the factory. Deliver more of that shoddy Bombardier junk please.

Do you expect an answer that will be sufficiently different from the last 10 times you've copy pasted the exact same post over into this thread to warrant asking again? The answer was given before and it's he's not Batman.

He's correctly predicted and called out the fustercluck at the corporate welfare recipient Bombardier Thunder Bay so that would make him more of a somebody than a nobody (you).

PS I noticed in the picture posted a few pages back there was a window broken before it even left the factory. Deliver more of that shoddy Bombardier junk please.

I was going to say the same thing.

If you are going to ask the question, at least bother reading when people respond to the question. Maybe go back to the few other times you've asked the same thing?

Though this is primarily caused by their planre troubles ...

"Quebec’s economy minister said the province stands ready to provide financial assistance to Montreal plane and train maker Bombardier Inc. if its balance sheet deteriorates.

“We have money available to finance Bombardier customers. If Bombardier needs that money for its liquidity, we can work with them on that,†Jacques Daoust was quoted as saying by Quebecor’s Argent news service."

Back