News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Not really. The heaters are on a thermostat, and only warm up if the car gets below a certain temperature.

Of course, thermostats can fail as well, which is why we have instances of cars with no heat in the winter and with the heat on in the summer.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

So the heat is “always running”. But it's also on a thermostat (i.e - not running when the temp is above the thermostat’s setting).

I guess the question still remains: Can the thermostat be manually changed or set higher? On very cold days could an operator set the heat higher when the car is left overnight; or is there only one hardwired heat setting? If the latter, your pedantic tone is apt. If the former, then I’d say there would be a different procedure on the coldest of days.

So the heat is “always running”. But it's also on a thermostat (i.e - not running when the temp is above the thermostat’s setting).

I guess the question still remains: Can the thermostat be manually changed or set higher? On very cold days could an operator set the heat higher when the car is left overnight; or is there only one hardwired heat setting? If the latter, your pedantic tone is apt. If the former, then I’d say there would be a different procedure on the coldest of days.

The thermostat is set at one fixed value - about 20 degrees or so, as I recall it - so it turns on the heat when the ambient temperature drops below that.

I'm sure that it could be adjusted, but I have never found a way to do so. It certainly isn't listed as an option in any of the operational manuals I own.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

An idea: Since we are such an observant lot here, it would be fun to have a sticky, perhaps, that keeps track of new streetcar deliveries, and car numbers. Something like -

4400 - IN SERVICE
4401 - Being modified in Thunder Bay
4405 - On test runs
4407 - Trapped in an existential hell

Something like that? Would that be useful?

An idea: Since we are such an observant lot here, it would be fun to have a sticky, perhaps, that keeps track of new streetcar deliveries, and car numbers. Something like -

4400 - IN SERVICE
4405 - On test runs

I'd say it would. I've seen them used as training cars recently but haven't been able to get the car number each time.

4400 - IN SERVICE
4405 - On test runs

Sure, but you may as well have the correct information.

4400, 4403 and 4404 are in service.
4401 and 4402 are in Toronto but still need to be returned to Bombardier for modifications. They are not allowed to operate in revenue service.
4405 is undergoing testing in Thunder Bay.
The rest above that are in various stages of assembly in Thunder Bay.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It was what we call filler, Dan, to give an example so that smart people like yourself could fill it in. Though I'm increasingly certain about that existential hell.

Still, thanks for the correct info. It would be great so see this list updated as things progress!

It was what we call filler, Dan, to give an example so that smart people like yourself could fill it in. Though I'm increasingly certain about that existential hell.

I suppose being in Thunder Bay could be seen as being in existential hell, although I usually reserve that term for the poor folks of Buffalo, NY and environs.

Although to be fair, my corrections were more about current state and status of 4401 and 4402.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Streetcar aren't shut down, as they have a constant source of power upon which to draw upon. As long as the pole is against the wire, and there is power at the wire, they will continue to be "on".

C/ALRVs (and PCCs) can be turned "off", shutting down the electrical and pneumatic systems (the motor-generator on PCCs). "Starting" the cars requires depressing the "CONTROL POWER" button on the dash and other buttons simultaneously to reset the circuits for the pneumatic and electrical systems. The pneumatic system will recharge as the compressor starts up, and the brakes will only release once a minimum air pressure has been obtained. For PCC cars, the "M-G" gang switch activates the motor-generator set, and the associated circuits powered by the M-G set. As long as the poles are on the overhead, the cars can be "started" as power is always available. For PCCs, the interior lights could be on while the cars are off, as the lights are powered directly from the overhead.

From my long ago summer experience in the carhouse, streetcars were only shut down on the hottest summer nights to allow equipment to cool off, otherwise the cars were always "on". Except for repairs and inspections, cars would never be shut down in cold weather.

C/ALRVs (and PCCs) can be turned "off", shutting down the electrical and pneumatic systems (the motor-generator on PCCs). "Starting" the cars requires depressing the "CONTROL POWER" button on the dash and other buttons simultaneously to reset the circuits for the pneumatic and electrical systems. The pneumatic system will recharge as the compressor starts up, and the brakes will only release once a minimum air pressure has been obtained. For PCC cars, the "M-G" gang switch activates the motor-generator set, and the associated circuits powered by the M-G set. As long as the poles are on the overhead, the cars can be "started" as power is always available. For PCCs, the interior lights could be on while the cars are off, as the lights are powered directly from the overhead.

From my long ago summer experience in the carhouse, streetcars were only shut down on the hottest summer nights to allow equipment to cool off, otherwise the cars were always "on". Except for repairs and inspections, cars would never be shut down in cold weather.

They haven't been doing that in many, many years. The control systems and LVPS's have become far, far too unreliable to risk them totally crapping out.

In fact, if any work needs to be done to them now they prefer to "shut them off" by simply pulling the pole and opening the knife switch, and then draining the tanks manually.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The conversations I've had with guys at the carhouse during open houses, etc, suggest that the CLRVs and ALRVs are almost completely unloved by drivers, at least, and possibly the maintenance folks. Does that hold true to your experience?

We need a replacement for streetcar 4062 sooner than later.

See link.

ttc_crash.jpg

Don't think they'll be fixing 4062, likely scrapping it.

Attachments

• ttc_crash.jpg
    ttc_crash.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 983
The conversations I've had with guys at the carhouse during open houses, etc, suggest that the CLRVs and ALRVs are almost completely unloved by drivers, at least, and possibly the maintenance folks. Does that hold true to your experience?

I've talked to a few who if nothing else prefer cars 4000-4005 (the initial run built by SIG in Switzerland) for their handling and reliability. That could be entirely anecdotal though.

Back