News   Jul 15, 2024
 412     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 563     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 566     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Everyone: Noting that the new ALRVs are not designed for MU operation can they operate with longer sections?
Example: Instead of 5 sections increase them to 7 sections for use on busy routes especially grade or street separated types...
No. Not without re-engineering it.

The loops and stop platforms are designed for, or will be altered for, the new length of the new streetcars. It would be too expensive to alter (again) for a longer version. It also should be remembered that the length of a new low-floor streetcar is about the same length as the old Peter Witt streetcar and trailer, or the PCC MU streetcar trains. Since the loops fit those streetcar trains, they fit the single low-floor streetcars.

ttc-last-witt-trailer-0450.jpg
streetcar-4115-07.jpg

The new streetcars also allow someone to walk from front to the very back, which wasn't possible before.

Attachments

• ttc-last-witt-trailer-0450.jpg
    ttc-last-witt-trailer-0450.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,186
  • streetcar-4115-07.jpg
    streetcar-4115-07.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 2,180
Last edited:
Any progress on getting more new streetcars?

Bueller?
No. Last one (4400) arrived about 4 months ago at the beginning of July. Just like a months ago, rumour is that the third completed car (4404) will be here soon. Someone in Thunder Bay posted a picture of it recently, and apparently it's been running on the test track in Thunder Bay.

No. Last one (4400) arrived about 4 months ago at the beginning of July. Just like a months ago, rumour is that the third completed car (4404) will be here soon. Someone in Thunder Bay posted a picture of it recently, and apparently it's been running on the test track in Thunder Bay.

Andy Byford said this on Twitter on Wednesday. I'm not sure what "shortly" means.

https://twitter.com/ttchelps/status/527483939372679168

@MkoRoy Roll-out resumes shortly. I am pressing Bombardier but we want quality vehicles too ^AB

Finally had my first ride on one of the new ones - 4403 - from College to Spadina station. Nice quiet ride, relatively smooth ... and then when we got into the station, where the platforms are being retrofitted, we were stuck behind a CLRV (operator over PA: 'That's not going to work') and we all had to get out at the front.

I was on it yesterday as well. Half of the platform at Spadina station is out-of-service, so that's creating issues.

I tried to use the fare-vending machine for the first time. It's not easy on the platform in the dark (at least at King), as there's no lighting!

Popped in a token and nothing happened. Not being able to read the instructions, I get the impression you have to press the "Print" button or something and then the ticket came out. But why would you have to do this? Why would it do anything other than issue the ticket after you've put in the token!?!

I was on one of the new ones today, and there was definitely a fair amount of squeaking and moaning going on, more than one would expect from a new vehicle. It seems that interior components or furnishings are coming loose and shaking around.

Finally had my first ride on one of the new ones - 4403 - from College to Spadina station. Nice quiet ride, relatively smooth ... and then when we got into the station, where the platforms are being retrofitted, we were stuck behind a CLRV (operator over PA: 'That's not going to work') and we all had to get out at the front.

I thought they would have done that when the platforms were closed in August...so what exactly where they doing then if they're still having to do work now?
It's really a mess right now, although seems a lot less crowded in the mornings.

There's also an issue with a rather large gap between the front doors of the old streetcars and the platform.

Two old friends out for a stroll in the rain

PVC CARS.JPG

Attachments

• PVC CARS.JPG
    PVC CARS.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 891
I thought they would have done that when the platforms were closed in August...so what exactly where they doing then if they're still having to do work now?

No idea ... the TTC doesn't even seem to list the Spadina platform work anywhere.

4004 is on its way, I guess.
About time - only 4 months since the last delivery. Even giving them 3 months credit for the 2 month strike, at best they are delivering 1 a month. They'll have to exceed 3 a month until the end of 2019, unless they extend deliveries into 2020.

And once deliveries begin for the Waterloo line and Eglinton line, they'll have to be pushing out 6 a month.

Back