News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Both 4400 and 4403 are currently at Millhaven for some unknown reason
Perhaps they can't run them on track in Quebec to test them, so do it in Kingston? They'd be passing nearby on the train.

I've no idea what they have for test track in Quebec - and clearly they already have enough track to test the TTC Flexitys in Kingston.

But I'm pulling it out of my imagination here ...

4560 has enter service on 504 (br504A) after arriving July 15, 2019

4561 been out all night testing

Perhaps they can't run them on track in Quebec to test them, so do it in Kingston? They'd be passing nearby on the train.

I've no idea what they have for test track in Quebec - and clearly they already have enough track to test the TTC Flexitys in Kingston.

But I'm pulling it out of my imagination here ...
Could be that with the original hammering the frames into shape and now the rewelding, some panels aren't really fitting properly any more...?

There was a loop at La Pocatiere, but from Google it looks like it no longer has a full circle. Looks like there is overhead, but I have no idea if it can supply TTC voltage.

La Pocatiere's role was reported as fabrication of the raw frames, ie replacing what was being done badly in Mexico. I doubt that it would have the equipment and inventory to do fit and finish work, or do testing. So likely some level of reassembly and/or QC would have to be done in Kingston or TB, after the frames have been rewelded..

Note what looks like a Flexity sitting on a flatcar, by the CN interchange.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 3.54.25 PM.png

There was a loop at La Pocatiere, but from Google it looks like it no longer has a full circle. Looks like there is overhead, but I have no idea if it can supply TTC voltage.

La Pocatiere's role was reported as fabrication of the raw frames, ie replacing what was being done badly in Mexico. I doubt that it would have the equipment and inventory to do fit and finish work, or do testing. So likely some level of reassembly and/or QC would have to be done in Kingston or TB, after the frames have been rewelded..

- Paul
Whats that flying away?????????????..........................................$$$$$$$$ .....................RR love these extra moves and BBD crying at the lost of $$ for all these extra moves and cost to bring the Flexity up to TTC standards as spec.

- Paul

View attachment 197088

The factory at La Pocatière has done full and final assembly of some equipment - Multilevel coaches, some early M7 railcars, the MR95 EMUs in Montreal - so they are capable of doing it in a pinch.

As for the test track, I would assume that the catenary is capable of operating at multiple voltages. They have third-rail on it as well, and may be able to tap one into the other.

Dan

The factory at La Pocatière has done full and final assembly of some equipment - Multilevel coaches, some early M7 railcars, the MR95 EMUs in Montreal - so they are capable of doing it in a pinch.

As for the test track, I would assume that the catenary is capable of operating at multiple voltages. They have third-rail on it as well, and may be able to tap one into the other.

I wouldn't imagine that their test track is TTC gauge though. I don't know what else they do there normally but maybe re-gauging it wouldn't be worth the effort, or would conflict with their other orders. It could be that shipping the reworked TTC cars to Kingston/Millhaven for testing, despite the expense, is their most economical option.

I wouldn't imagine that their test track is TTC gauge though. I don't know what else they do there normally but maybe re-gauging it wouldn't be worth the effort, or would conflict with their other orders. It could be that shipping the reworked TTC cars to Kingston/Millhaven for testing, despite the expense, is their most economical option.

That's actually a very good point.

Most of the tracks at Millhaven were built to be able to be modified to either standard gauge or TTC gauge (the ICTS track is the exception to this). I can't help but think that this kind of thing was never envisioned for La Pocatière, and so it isn't possible to do without a pretty considerable financial outlay.

Dan

For the number of vehicles involved, might it be reasonable to develop a support bogie device which would take the TTC gauge wheels on top, and the standard gauge wheels for the track? For the number of cars being tested at a given time (probably only one at a time), and that the testing conditions should not involve pushing the limits of the tracking ability on curves (this approach would alter the car's centre of gravity), basic confirmation testing for the integrity of the upgrades might be able to be done at La Pocatière, with the final balance of testing done back here on TTC facilities.

For the number of vehicles involved, might it be reasonable to develop a support bogie device which would take the TTC gauge wheels on top, and the standard gauge wheels for the track? For the number of cars being tested at a given time (probably only one at a time), and that the testing conditions should not involve pushing the limits of the tracking ability on curves (this approach would alter the car's centre of gravity), basic confirmation testing for the integrity of the upgrades might be able to be done at La Pocatière, with the final balance of testing done back here on TTC facilities.

Having different tracks gauges is not a problem for the rest of the world

593f0fe1d81165443b4376effa69016f.jpg

From link.

image.jpg

From link.

rail_baltica_lietuva.jpg

From link.

4561 has enter service on 501 (501A) After arriving July 19, 2019

4562 out testing yesterday

Dollies exist that allow differentially-gauged vehicles to traverse track they are not equipped to run on, but I've not heard of one that was designed to be used for testing.

And to be honest, considering how close TTC's gauge is to standard gauge, I can't see it being an easy thing to figure out, either.

Dan

Back