News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

It depends on the deliveries and the full conversion of each route to Flexities only. I believe when converted to usable by pantographs, the overhead can no longer be used by trolley (correct me if I'm wrong).
You are wrong. When overhead is OK for pantos it can also be used by poles. The problem with pantos on "pole-type overhead' is mostly at the special sections where the panto can get caught in the wires or the supports. (Pantos also can draw more current from the wire, which the Flexities really need.) Lots of background on Steve Munro's site.

You are wrong. When overhead is OK for pantos it can also be used by poles. The problem with pantos on "pole-type overhead' is mostly at the special sections where the panto can get caught in the wires or the supports. (Pantos also can draw more current from the wire, which the Flexities really need.) Lots of background on Steve Munro's site.

Come on down to Queens Quay. Harbourfront is panto and Spadina is pole, living together in harmony.
Alright...alright, I was wrong. Btw I have been on Queens Quay, but I haven't really paid attention to how the streetcars were powered.

It depends on the deliveries and the full conversion of each route to Flexities only. I believe when converted to usable by pantographs, the overhead can no longer be used by trolley (correct me if I'm wrong).
Streetcars with pole will be able to use a route that been 100% converted to pans. The different between what we see on Harbourfront 509 where both pans and poles are used today, is a pan route OS supports are stagger from side to side. By having a stagger line cuts down on cutting a grove in the pan like a straight line will do. It also acts as an ice cutter to a point.

A streetcar with a pole using a stagger line will have its pole swing back and forth.

509, 510, 511 & 512 are pan ready, but not 504 or 501 to allow pan to be up when leaving the yard. Pans are put up/down at the Ex on the station passing track for 509 and could happen there for 511. When 512 goes pans, the pans will most likely be raise/lower at St Clair W passing track. 510 pans could be raise/lower either at Queens Quay Loop or at Charlotte Loop.

4468 off loaded today.

Last edited:
4466 is sitting out in the yard.

4465 & 4467 are out for testing. 4467 is the earlies in some time that a car been out for testing shortly after they arrived.

Do we add 4460-4464 to the list for 11 cars in this quarter considering they were supposed to be Dec 17 schedule?? 4460 was off loaded Jan 2 after arriving in Toronto before end of the year, 4461 was off loaded Jan 5 and was in transit at year end. 4462 off loaded Jan 10 and 4463 off loaded Jan 29. 4464 off loaded Feb 01.

If we deduct 4460-4462 cars from the 11 due this quarter, then 4463-4473 are the cars due this quarter. Since 4469 is in transit, this leaves 4 more cars due this quarter.

So how bad was the damage to 4466? I assume the easily replaceable pole wasn't the only thing damaged, given how long its been sitting around.

So how bad was the damage to 4466? I assume the easily replaceable pole wasn't the only thing damaged, given how long its been sitting around.
Like others, been in the service bays until yesterday, but back in the service bay now. Must been waiting for another bay to open up.

Cars can be found in different locations on the same track or move to other track during the day.

May take up to another 5 day before testing starts.

It taking 10-15 days now before a car is tested and about 21+ days until in service up from 8-10, 10-15.

Like others, been in the service bays until yesterday, but back in the service bay now. Must been waiting for another bay to open up.

Cars can be found in different locations on the same track or move to other track during the day.

May take up to another 5 day before testing starts.

It taking 10-15 days now before a car is tested and about 21+ days until in service up from 8-10, 10-15.

True. Hopefully they don't take too long with 4466 because the 504 needs more Flexities in my opinion.

Has making the 503 streetcar and running mid day made any significant difference?

I say nope. The 503, according to TTC statistics, is one of the most underlized routes, along with the 502. However, in my opinion, the 502 is more popular, and the 504 NEEDS more Flexities, because the CLRV'S cannot handle the demand. However that is not really possible with all the streetcar delivery delays going on.

Do we add 4460-4464 to the list for 11 cars in this quarter considering they were supposed to be Dec 17 schedule?? 4460 was off loaded Jan 2 after arriving in Toronto before end of the year, 4461 was off loaded Jan 5 and was in transit at year end. 4462 off loaded Jan 10 and 4463 off loaded Jan 29. 4464 off loaded Feb 01.

If you're using that delivery chart posted above you do count those units. December of the previous year is the number actually delivered (IIRC) not the number intended.

If you want to count them as being for the previous year then you need to adjust the previous years numbers up.

The pole was obviously replaced, but apparently there was also some minor damage to the upper fibreglass cowling around it. It's been fixed or replaced. Nothing major, thankfully.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread, but in Ottawa they held a contest where school children were able to name all of the vehicles on the LRT:

Fancy a ride on the Majestic Moose? How about heading into work on the Rocket Richard?

Those are just two of the 40 names revealed today for the rail cars that will soon travel along Ottawa's two light rail lines.

The City of Ottawa announced the names — which were submitted by children under 16 during a contest last November — at a ceremony Saturday morning at Ben Franklin Place.

The winning entries drew on a mix of both local and Canadian history, and also included some Indigenous names.

The names of the six Trillium Line cars are:

• Nanuq-Polar Bear
  • Northern Lights
  • Rocket Richard
  • Dreamcatcher
  • Emily Murphy
  • Portage

The names of the 34 Confederation line cars are:

• Canada Goose
  • Farley Mowat
  • Gord Downie
  • Inuksuk
  • John McCrae
  • Logdriver-Draveur
  • Lord Stanley
  • Louis Riel
  • Majestic Moose
  • Odawa
  • Poppy
  • Snowbird
  • Bluenose
  • Boreal
  • Emily Carr
  • Jacques Cartier
  • Juno
  • Nathan Cirillo
  • Normandy
  • Samuel de Champlain
  • Thomas D'Arcy McGee
  • Totem
  • Tundra
  • Wagosh-Fox
  • Acadia
  • Agnes Macphail
  • Amik-Beaver
  • Bertha Wilson
  • Billy Bishop
  • Eh-Train
  • Henrietta Edwards
  • Maple Taffy
  • The Mountie
  • George Brown

Mayor Jim Watson, councillors Stephen Blais and Keith Egli, and general manager of transportation John Manconi presented the 40 winners with two free tickets for the inaugural ride of the Confederation Line.

The 12.5-kilometre line, which runs from Tunney's Pasture in the west to Blair Station in the east, is running six months behind schedule but is expected to open in November 2018.

I know that LRVs aren't anything new or exciting in Toronto, and that we have many more vehicles (204 here vs 40 in Ottawa), but it might be cute to do something like that here too, at least so we aren't talking about "4466" or "4467".

Back