News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Not sure if this is news, but 4463 is in service on route 504.
I am surprised it taken this long for this info to be posted, considering it went into service on 509 on Tuesday while I am out of the country and posted else where. It was reported there that 4464 was to go into service a day or 2 ago, but still in the Barns.

As for 4401, I don't expect it will be ship anytime soon back to Thunder Bay until all cars are here and BBD agrees with all TTC back charge cost. Could be held here encase of a full law suite where the car will used as an example of poor manufacturing and failing to comply with contract.

I guess 4465 was off loaded today considering there was a photo over a week ago of 4466 ready to ship to TTC and still not here.

As for the pole, sure hope someone sees it and fix it, but odd that it happen after 68 cars have been ship with no problems. Could be someone cut the tie down for the pole.

New delivery chart (by quarters). It looks like previous years reflect actual deliveries rather than expectations.

201802_bombardierflexityschedule.jpg

Thanks Steve.
https://stevemunro.ca/2018/02/12/ttc-board-meeting-february-15-2018/

4465 was delivered on Friday, making six for Q1 2018 at this point and completing 2017's (self-reduced) quota. With 6 weeks to go, looks like they are in good shape to ship the 11 total indicated above for Q1.

Looks like whoever was in charge of securing the pole did a poor job..... hope it doesnt get snapped...
will future deliveries omit the pole sometime in the future?
Poles were supposed to stop after car 4460 as far as I remember. Of course, TTC are still not finished with the overhead.. Even on King there are several stretches to be done including King and Church and King and Parliament.

Poles were supposed to stop after car 4460 as far as I remember. Of course, TTC are still not finished with the overhead.. Even on King there are several stretches to be done including King and Church and King and Parliament.

All cars will be delivered with poles and pantographs. That option was changed quite some time ago.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Looks like whoever was in charge of securing the pole did a poor job..... hope it doesnt get snapped...
will future deliveries omit the pole sometime in the future?

I guess 4465 was off loaded today considering there was a photo over a week ago of 4466 ready to ship to TTC and still not here.

As for the pole, sure hope someone sees it and fix it, but odd that it happen after 68 cars have been ship with no problems. Could be someone cut the tie down for the pole.

@cplchanb you were right. The pole being upright was a challenge. Apparently it was damaged after hitting several bridges.

@drum118 I think the video below is from this past Friday and shows 4466.

The video is from YouTuber JayJr2007. Here's the description: "Published on 18 Feb 2018Canadian Pacific 8891, CP 8619, CP 8531 (Train 420 - Thunder Bay to Toronto) (374 axles, 5500ft) crossing the bridge over Highway 400 with the pantograph of a TTC fully extended. Apparently at some point the rope holding down the pantograph came loose and it was damaged smacking into bridges along the way. They sort out the problem in the Mactier yard and depart after receiving their clearance."

Note: it's not the pantograph. It's the pole.

Video markers:

2:37 - you can see the streetcar passing by on the flatcar. It's really hard to see but you mugmi be able to look closely and see the pole extended;

7:15 - the engineer explains the issue of the pole being extended;

11:30 - damage to pole noted;

A few seconds after 19:44 the streetcar passes by. I tried to stop the video and varcc the number but it's hard tt see clearly. I think it's 4466.

@cplchanb you were right. The pole being upright was a challenge. Apparently it was damaged after hitting several bridges.

@drum118 I think the video below is from this past Friday and shows 4466.

The video is from YouTuber JayJr2007. Here's the description: "Published on 18 Feb 2018Canadian Pacific 8891, CP 8619, CP 8531 (Train 420 - Thunder Bay to Toronto) (374 axles, 5500ft) crossing the bridge over Highway 400 with the pantograph of a TTC fully extended. Apparently at some point the rope holding down the pantograph came loose and it was damaged smacking into bridges along the way. They sort out the problem in the Mactier yard and depart after receiving their clearance."

Note: it's not the pantograph. It's the pole.

Video markers:

2:37 - you can see the streetcar passing by on the flatcar. It's really hard to see but you mugmi be able to look closely and see the pole extended;

7:15 - the engineer explains the issue of the pole being extended;

11:30 - damage to pole noted;

A few seconds after 19:44 the streetcar passes by. I tried to stop the video and varcc the number but it's hard tt see clearly. I think it's 4466.

Bombardier will likely ship a new pole to TTC sometime really soon to replace the one on 4466 that was damaged in transit. CP will likely end up paying for it. CP would also be wise to install a couple of High-Wide detectors on the line in case this happens again.

Bombardier will likely ship a new pole to TTC sometime really soon to replace the one on 4466 that was damaged in transit. CP will likely end up paying for it. CP would also be wise to install a couple of High-Wide detectors on the line in case this happens again.

Bombardier isn't going to ship a single pole for this. The TTC will install one from its spares, but you're right - it will get billed back to CP.

There are detectors on the line, but they may not be able to pick up something as fine as a trolley pole.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Bombardier isn't going to ship a single pole for this. The TTC will install one from its spares, but you're right - it will get billed back to CP.

There are detectors on the line, but they may not be able to pick up something as fine as a trolley pole.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just wondering why you're thinking this is CP's issue? Surely CP has some type of contract of carriage that waives their liability if the cargo is not secured. If anything, if I'm CP I'm looking into any damage that pole caused to my infrastructure. This doesn't seem like negligence in any way on the part of CP as they clearly weren't the ones that would have secured the pole when TTC gave them the car.

I guess the only thing we know is that TTC won't be paying for it.

CP might be able to claim it was a flaw (somehow) with the flatcar and go after ttx for damages (as the flatcar is being leased, not owned).

Who needs a high/wide detector when you have the Mink and Red Sucker tunnels, and associated slide fencing?

That's one well built trolley pole.

- Paul

Just wondering why you're thinking this is CP's issue? Surely CP has some type of contract of carriage that waives their liability if the cargo is not secured. If anything, if I'm CP I'm looking into any damage that pole caused to my infrastructure. This doesn't seem like negligence in any way on the part of CP as they clearly weren't the ones that would have secured the pole when TTC gave them the car.

I guess the only thing we know is that TTC won't be paying for it.

It is solely the responsibility of the railway and its employees to ensure that the cargo it is carrying is secured properly. There is no legal way to waive that liability. Any damage done to infrastructure is then solely the railway's responsibility.

It is solely the responsibility of the railway and its employees to ensure that the cargo it is carrying is secured properly. There is no legal way to waive that liability. Any damage done to infrastructure is then solely the railway's responsibility.

Our company has shipped with both CN and CP. I don't recall either railway ever taking responsibility for how something is shipped.

Back