News   Jul 23, 2024
 95     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 212     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 999     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The first 6 CLRV's were built in Switzerland. The remainding were all built in Thunder Bay.

Dont forget the first cars were crap and dont worry after they are tested by us they will go into revenue service, too bad we cant do the same with subways! ;)

Vienna Hunnnnnn!!! when Thunder Bay was supposed to do this??? Oh!! so much for the 25+% content buy Canadian and no surprise to me.
If the first 3 streetcars are 0% Canadian then the remaining 201 only need be 25.4% Canadian to meet the criteria.

Seems a very reasonable idea to get the prototypes delivered on-time, without having to struggle with the learning curve of creating the new unit. And it gives Thunder Bay something to take apart, to figure out how to match ...

I really hope.....

That the new streetcars and subways come arrived with protective coating on the windows so that those idiots running around and scratching etchings into them have problems. That would require thinking though and probably they'll wait until the windows are damaged before acting.

On another note. I've seen the renderings and watched the video clip and I think the new streetcars look fine. I would prefer a more sleeker and sharper curve to the front of the cars but this is something I don't mind at all. I'll reserve final judgement till the first ones show up on the tracks.

Accidents (or collisions) and vandalism are some of the problems the new streetcars have to face in the real world.

800px-Scratching01.jpg

Windows should be covered with several layers of plastic film. If scratched, a layer is removed, or replaced with new film. It also has a added benefit of providing protection from window breakage as well. Most current buses, streetcars, and heavy rail vehicles should already have them. The only problem remains is when the maintenance people will do the work to remove the scratches, usually after the end of the workday. If a big problem, they may do it while the vehicle is still in service.

The same film can be applied to home windows as protection from breakage, and to provide a bit of insulation or heat reflection.

Last edited:
Disgusting....

That so many people have such little respect for property that is not theirs and choose instead to deface and degrade what doesn't belong to them and this includes littering, spitting in public, etc. People today have zero concept for being accountable for their own actions and taking pride in their surroundings.

Last edited:
As Donald Rumsfeld famously said, democracy is messy. Any place where people have a responsibility to behave in a civil fashion is an oppressive dictatorship. Toronto is clearly one of the most democratic cities in the world.

If a big problem, they may do it while the vehicle is still in service. :D:D:D:D:D

Sorry but I find this statement funny.......I have a hard time motivating my bodyman to do anything, he gives me attitude when I have a car for him indoors I can just imagine if I told him to go on main line and remove a window while it is in service......lol this sort of job would never be done while the vehicle is in service

For subways we replace the winndows if there is any offensive words or if more then half the windows are ruined, it just doesnt make sense to bring in a single car just for one window.

Last year we monitored a train which had all the glass replaced, in the 2 days that it was out in service more then 75% of the windows were scratchittied. This glass is not cheap, it is amazing in the amount of $$$ that is wasted on replacing the glass that these punks ruin.

Question....

I was the under the impression that the TTC was using some kind of protective film for the windows on their vechicles now. Seeing vechile after vechicle with scratched windows has me wondering why only a handful of the vechicles have them. I've seen a couple with them but the rest?

Truth be told though, it seems to be the vechicles with no cameras that have the majority of the scratched windows from my experience. Hopefully in the future we will see less of this and that the new streetcars and trains will come readied with the films in anticipation for this type of vandalism.

We still need to throw the book at people running around in the public doing their best to deface property. It's a blight and they're parasites.

The fault lies in how our society encourages bad behaviour such as this and allows people to get away with whatever they want. This is why we continue to see an escalation of all types of disruptive, idiotic and self-asorbed behaviour, especially by the youth. They simply have no concept of consequences and personal responsibility.

Last edited:
But Agram

But Agram, my question is do the windows in fact have any protective film on them?

And if not, why not?

I feel the same way about the bus shelters.

I live in the eastern part of the former East York; and last year they replaced a ton of the old 'ancaster' type shelters with the new ones.

It took 2 weeks for 1/2 the shelters to be covered in scratchitti.

And I couldn't decide who I was more upset with; the morons who had nothing better to do with their time that mess up nice new shelters, or the dim light who said....nah they don't need any protective coating...this is Toronto the shelters will be fine!

All new glass has the protective film on them and the new trains have it also and so will the new buses and streetcars. But it is only a film which can be cut with an exactor knife and peeled back! Its a losing war, over 800 windows get replaced in subways a month. Each glass window is around $200 so do the math, Im not even counting in the buses and streetcars.

Thanks for the quick response. Glad to hear the protective film will be standard on new vehicles.

AS for the current replacement rate......I add that up as 1.9 M dollars per year on trains alone.

That is obscene! :mad:

Whatever the penalty for doing that is....we need to triple it.

And we need undercovers who catch the little buggers in the act!

But yet people still think the new fare hike is only for workers :D

There is so much $$$$ wasted on stupid things like glass and seat replacement. Letsnot even mention the amount of man hours that is spent on fixing door interlocks because people try to physically open them even after they are closed.

Sadly....

This is what we get for being such a narcissistic society.

People think it's cool to do whatever they want and you're suppose to support them. We make excuses for everyone's behaviour these days. No personal responsibility at all and a lot of the blame falls at the feet of the parents. People should never even get to the point where they think the best way to pass their time is to vandalize property.

You actually see this type of behaviour with parents excusing their kid's actions on shows like People's Court and Judge Judy where I have watched so many parents, hearing as evidence that their kids were caught doing something illegal or having committed some act against someone else and refusing to acknowledge their kid's wrongdoing.

Last edited:
Thats the way our society is these days, people still rush at subway doors and force them open. I was in a full car a few months ago and saw 3 teens scratching the windows and not one person said a thing. But yet when fares are raised to pay for these kinds of things people get all mad.

Back