News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

They are running the full length of the route, with announcements that the ramps can not deploy at any stops on Roncesvalles.
How much too high is the concrete?

I'd have thought it could have been quickly dealt with, with a curb-cut, or a grinding machine - like they used to do, before they felt the need to rebuild the curb every time there's a new driveway.

Ok. I’ll take the bait here too. Why, is the ramp on a *new* streetcar - designed, likely well before Roncesvalles was rebuilt - say at least 5 years back - incompatible with the world’s strangest combined bike-lane sidewalks?

*Aside - if you have not seen these things, they are the most asinine design ever conceived of. To catch a streetcar, you have to stand in the middle of the bike lane. Er, sidewalk. The designer clearly had schizophrenia.*

Ok. I’ll take the bait here too. Why, is the ramp on a *new* streetcar - designed, likely well before Roncesvalles was rebuilt - say at least 5 years back - incompatible with the world’s strangest combined bike-lane sidewalks?

*Aside - if you have not seen these things, they are the most asinine design ever conceived of. To catch a streetcar, you have to stand in the middle of the bike lane. Er, sidewalk. The designer clearly had schizophrenia.*
I see you miss the Sherbourne bump out bus stops.

There is nothing wrong with these bump out platforms since riders stand behind the line until a vehicle pulls up to the stop. Cycles are to stop to allow riders on/off before continue.

By using these bump out, it force traffic to wait until the vehicle moves as well protect riders. At the same time, you don't take away part of the bike lane or having it block the lane.

In many places, its against the law for a bus to stop in the lane to pickup riders at a regular stop before the lanes went in to the point the stops were removed. Its a win win for everyone and more are been plan for the system.

As for the issue with the platforms, built before a new car hit the road just like St Clair. Surprise it showing up now, not a few years ago. If the ramp is built for the correct hight of the car, there should be no need for the use of the ramp, other than gap.

I use both routes bump out stops and never seen any issues caused by riders blocking a cycles, but seen a number of cases where riders refused to stop and go around the riders getting on.

The platforms will either be fix next year or 19 when the King/Queen/Roncy intersection is rebuilt. 2018 will see the Roncy yard close for months while track work and overhead is done.

I see you miss the Sherbourne bump out bus stops.

There is nothing wrong with these bump out platforms since riders stand behind the line until the bus stops.
Sherbourne is a big fail in my books too. I don’t feel any safer there and I am one of those who said - what was the point? In the King thread in the past two days, someone wished for concrete barriers on Sherbourne like the planters on King. I’m all for it.

As for behind the line, bikes are swerving around pedestrians at stops on Ronny all the time. I visit family there on weekends.

Mods- time to start this in another thread. *Apologies*

I'd have thought it could have been quickly dealt with, with a curb-cut, or a grinding machine - like they used to do, before they felt the need to rebuild the curb every time there's a new driveway.

I live on Roncesvalles, and the ramps are disaster. No doubt that they are causing problems for the new streetcars.

4452 is in service on 512 and expect to see 4453 in service either Wed or Thursday. 4454 is still not tracking.

If TTC is to have 65 cars by year end, then TTC is still missing 11 cars with only 24 days to have them here by Dec 29.

Last edited:

I need to double-check what the specs of the ramp are, but going by memory I think that it needs to be 3 inches lower than the threshold, +/- 1/2".

I'm not sure that a grinding machine would be accurate enough for this situation. Look at what they did to the stops on St. Clair and Spadina - they had to chip out the concrete almost down to the base and re-pour it, even though the difference between the section for the ramp and the rest of the platform is only about an inch or an inch and a half.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Sherbourne is a big fail in my books too. I don’t feel any safer there and I am one of those who said - what was the point? In the King thread in the past two days, someone wished for concrete barriers on Sherbourne like the planters on King. I’m all for it.

As for behind the line, bikes are swerving around pedestrians at stops on Ronny all the time. I visit family there on weekends.

Mods- time to start this in another thread. *Apologies*

What are you talking about? On Sherbourne the bus pulls right up to the curb so where exactly would you put planters? I use Sherbourne frequently as a pedestrian, cyclist and TTC rider - the safety at bus stops is really pretty good and most cyclists DO stop at the yellow line when a bus is there, a bigger problem is potential passengers waiting ON the bike lane BEFORE the bus arrives at the stop.

4438 just passed by me. However many Flexities are running 504, it seems to be working. I haven’t seen a crowded streetcar today.

This might be one reason. See link.

...Thirteen new, larger capacity streetcars were running along King Street this morning, according to the TTC's Brad Ross. Ten of those streetcars are on 514 Cherry and three of them are on the 504 route.

That represents three additional cars with a capacity of about 250 people per car compared to previous service on the street...

Back