News   May 07, 2024
 528     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 471     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 930     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

With sliding doors, I wonder how they're going to alert cars that the doors are open and people are exiting. The current doors have little stop signs on them.
Probably the best option would be school bus style Stop Signs that pop out of the side, and flash lights would be a plus. Of course, the union will probably break the TTC and make every doorway have it's own "crossing guard" who gets out at every stop and holds a stop sign. It's the "Toronto way".

European transportation vehicles always were strikingly elegant compared to whatever we had on the rails. The new streetcars probably won't be the worst - the impending electrification of GO's lakeshore line probably will mean we'll get some blunt-nosed cab cars with hazard stripes painted down the front that looks like it belongs in the tool shed of an oil rig.

We used to make really beautiful trains:

prr3768.jpg

Canadian-Pacific-Train-Print-C10027873.jpeg

Japan's Nankai railways got architect Hiroyuki Wakabayashi to design their Rapi:t airport trains in Osaka. This was the result...

nan50k1.jpg

nan50k_b.jpg

I wonder what an architect-designed transit vehicle might look like. A Gehry bus? A Libeskind streetcar? A Norman Foster subway train?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapi:t

Clearly I'm alone in my boat here, but the Minneapolis-Bombardier example streetcar looks better than the examples of "beautiful" ones; it doesn't have sharp edges, it's more modern looking than the examples, and has huge inconspicuous windows.

Clearly I'm alone in my boat here, but the Minneapolis-Bombardier example streetcar looks better than the examples of "beautiful" ones; it doesn't have sharp edges, it's more modern looking than the examples, and has huge inconspicuous windows.

I agree. People should stop living the past. Nostalgia is just stupid and pathetic.

On a related note, PCCs 4500 and 4549 were reported to be operating on the 509 Harbourfront route over the long weekend, in full revenue service. I've read rumours that they may be used during every weekend over the summer along that route. Nostalgia sells.

I heard that as well. Unfortunately, I was in Sudbury at the time.

Every weekend? That'd be absolutely wonderful! I'll be there this weekend for sure. The last time I was on a PCC in regular service in Toronto was in 1999 when the 509 was opened. Though I've been on PCCs in Kenosha and San Francisco since then.

I saw PCCs and the Witt crusing the streets a couple of weekends back.

But since I'm a bit excited about seeing this, I must be stupid and pathetic. Thanks doady.

But since I'm a bit excited about seeing this, I must be stupid and pathetic. Thanks doady.

ur not the only one who's gonna be stupid and pathetic, as i fall into this category as well.

That's fantastic news. It's a great way for people to see more of these wonderful old streetcars. I remember they took the PCCs off the line in the first place because of noise complaints. I presume that these will be sufficiently infrequent that it shouldn't be a problem.

I heard that as well. Unfortunately, I was in Sudbury at the time.

Every weekend? That'd be absolutely wonderful! I'll be there this weekend for sure. The last time I was on a PCC in regular service in Toronto was in 1999 when the 509 was opened. Though I've been on PCCs in Kenosha and San Francisco since then.

I saw PCCs and the Witt crusing the streets a couple of weekends back.

Nothing wrong with appreciating what's old, if it does not make you hate the new streetcars so much that you must buy a car (see p5connex's post).

i open up photoshop and wanted to see how the ttc colours would look on the bombardier trains to see the difference. it is definitely a lot fatter and bulkier, but i think looks pretty good.

here it is:
im1125eehighay5.jpg

Back