News   Jun 17, 2024
 467     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 347     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 502     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

There is word coming out now that Flexities will be used during the King transit pilot. Who knows what the plan will be tomorrow?

There is word coming out now that Flexities will be used during the King transit pilot. Who knows what the plan will be tomorrow?

Fingers crossed that we have enough cars to make this happen organically (according to schedule) by then, without having to take some cars from the 510 and 509.

The 514 Cherry route will be fully converted by summer and serve the pilot area. There are not enough new streetcars in the near term to fully equip a large route like King.

well that would require the 514, not the 504 route, which already has 5 flexities running on it right now
I'd think you'd do both. Say 40 Flexities on 504, and 10 on 514 at peak. Might just have enough by the end of fall, if you run CLRVs on 509/510.

This was actually tweeted out yesterday:

https://twitter.com/TTChelps/status/830918870575804416

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/02/13/king-st-plans-still-leave-room-for-cars-keenan.html

The star says it too.
In all three cases, the TTC will be running new, larger streetcars for the duration of the pilot in order to allow for more reliable service and more passengers, and transportation services will be giving streetcars priority at traffic lights.

It looks like the 504 will get new cars (might be temporary) to test the performance of the design.

I'd think you'd do both. Say 40 Flexities on 504, and 10 on 514 at peak. Might just have enough by the end of fall, if you run CLRVs on 509/510.
Not going to happen using CLRV on 509/510. A Human Rights complaint would be file on day one.

You would have a mixture on 504 with all 10 on 514 by April/May, depending on BBD deliveries for this year.

Last edited:
Not going to happen using CLRV on 509/510. A Human Rights complaint would be file on day one.
Not sure how you get complaints on 509/510, but not on 505/506. Can always run buses.

You would have a mixture on 504 with all 10 on 514 by April/May, depending on BBD deliveries for this year.
Testing isn't until fall (i.e. late September to late December).

Then the TTC shouldn't be letting the Star think there will be.
True....but given how much press the slooooowww delivery of the new cars has gotten...you would think the Star (and other media) would be sharp enough to ask "will you have enough of those new cars to do that?"

Interesting the TTC had half a dozen extra large streetcars to toss around on the weekend and they thought it was best to toss them on to King Street and not Queen Street further proof that it is the most important corridor even on weekends.

Not sure how you get complaints on 509/510, but not on 505/506. Can always run buses.

Testing isn't until fall (i.e. late September to late December).
There are a number accessibly riders who rely on the new cars on both routes today and to replace them with CLRV or buses will not fly with them or others to the point TTC would be up the shit creek with the Human Rights Commission on day one.

Yes the testing will be done in the fall, but how many cars will TTC have then?? 514 will be done before then and between 509, 510 and 514, TTC will need 37 cars. If TTC has 60 cars by the time the testing takes place, 504 will see 23 cars. What will happen to 505 plans will be known in the next moth or 2 once the report shows up, regardless what is currently plan. Then what does "FALL" mean in the first place for time frame??

Since there is no cars for 505/506 at this time, it hard for anyone to complain, but the end of 2018 is only 22 months away for complaining to start.

King has increase in important due to the fact that the city centre has shifted south due all that new development along the waterfront and more 7/24 these days when Queen was king for ridership.

There are a number accessibly riders who rely on the new cars on both routes today and to replace them with CLRV or buses will not fly with them or others to the point TTC would be up the shit creek with the Human Rights Commission on day one.

Please see their accessibility plan.

http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Accessibility...ccessible_Service_Transit_Plan_2016/index.jsp

I'm all for having better accessibility. And I advocate on this website that they should speed up the accessibility of subway stations (I don't think they will make the 2025 deadline and all the executive at the TTC should be fined to the full extent of the law for their ineptitude in not doing so).

The province enacted the accessibility law a long time ago with a transition period knowing that it takes time for execution. Having a streetcar network that is partially accessible is part of this plan. If you only can use a bus or Wheeltrans I don't see how that (1) violates the accessible plan and (2) why that infringes on your human rights.

People throw out the HRC for random purposes and it has really diluted the fundamental purpose of the tribunal. The TTC deciding that a busier route with more potential for usage of accessible transit is not the TTC trying to abuse your human rights. They are just trying to give more people access to transit that is accessible.

Back