News   May 08, 2024
 139     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 586     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 497     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

It uses magnetic induction (transformer theory) it's not new technology.

Using induction to propel streetcars is new technology. The scientific principle maybe old but the application is recent. That said, I hate unsightly wires. I am all for PRIMOVE.

Using induction to propel streetcars is new technology. The scientific principle maybe old but the application is recent. That said, I hate unsightly wires. I am all for PRIMOVE.
I thought the induction was only to transfer power into the car. Propulsion would be provided by regular electric motors. Am I wrong?

Komiksulo:

I think so - it doesn't look like an linear induction motor from the site.

Keithz:

I don't think road salt and live wires close to the surface is a good idea...

AoD

More cold water.

Streetcars may not qualify for stimulus, says Baird
JEFF GRAY
April 28, 2009
Toronto's transit agency formally approved plans to buy 204 new streetcars from Montreal-based Bombardier yesterday, but Transport Minister John Baird said the $1.2-billion deal might not qualify for funds from Ottawa's stimulus package.

"We want to create jobs now. That's a 10-year contract," he told reporters.

Toronto Transit Commission officials have said the Bombardier deal cannot go ahead unless the federal and provincial governments each commit to cover at least one-third of the cost before a June 27 deadline.

The stimulus spending is for pushing up projects to complete them earlier while the economy is down, not for a streetcar purchase which is a year late and will take 10-years to complete. What the city should do is go nuts on individual waterfront projects.

The streetcar purchase has been underway for 2-years - the feds have known this is coming. It might not fit under stimulus funding, but that doesn't mean the feds shouldn't be providing their share. Very little of the payout is going to be before 2011 anyways, so it's not like it's going to conflict with the stimulus funding.

Do these clowns really want to be re-elected?

Using induction to propel streetcars is new technology.

It's used to power the electric motors on the car, not propel it.

Hate to break it to you, but there are lots of cable buried under the roads. In fact, the streetcar tracks carry return current from the cars.

I thought the induction was only to transfer power into the car. Propulsion would be provided by regular electric motors. Am I wrong?

You are right. I stand corrected. It was a hasty response on my part.

Komiksulo:

Keithz:

AoD

With induction, you don't need live wires lying on the surface. You just need to have the wire (which is sealed/protected) close enough to the streetcar induction unit that it can transfer power. I think that should allow the power cable to be buried a few centimetres below the surface.

Keithz:

With induction, you don't need live wires lying on the surface. You just need to have the wire (which is sealed/protected) close enough to the streetcar induction unit that it can transfer power. I think that should allow the power cable to be buried a few centimetres below the surface.

I know - except that concrete is permeable - and protected or not, this sounds like an area of potential trouble with a very high failure cost.

AoD

More cold water.

JEFF GRAY
April 28, 2009
Toronto's transit agency formally approved plans to buy 204 new streetcars from Montreal-based Bombardier yesterday, but Transport Minister John Baird said the $1.2-billion deal might not qualify for funds from Ottawa's stimulus package.

Toronto Transit Commission officials have said the Bombardier deal cannot go ahead unless the federal and provincial governments each commit to cover at least one-third of the cost before a June 27 deadline.

The anti-transit forces are coming out of hiding. How long would a short term would qualify? 1 month? 1 year? 10 years? The 1950's highway expansion went on for over a decade, shouldn't transit expansion be given the same.

I know - except that concrete is permeable - and protected or not, this sounds like an area of potential trouble with a very high failure cost.

Wow...I guess you have me on ignore.

More cold water.

JEFF GRAY
April 28, 2009

More douchebaggery from John Baird.

"We want jobs now, not over 10 years."

How about the contract will provide stable employment for 10 years? Not instant minimum wage mcjobs?!

Also,

Flaherty: "I feel strongly about that as the Minister responsible for the GTA federally."

Whatever happened to his high speed rail in peterborough that would just happen to go through his riding and have a station stop there?

That man is simply a vindictive asshole, who is more interested in punishing Toronto for not voting Tory than he is in anything else.

I can't wait until those freaks are thrown out of office for good.

Back