News   Jul 04, 2024
 281     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 484     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 525     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

No it's not the exact same. They are similar but not same. If it was the same ramp, maybe you can explain to me why does it take garbage BBD several redesigns and 5 years to get it right? The ramps on the current cars aren't even the final design. If it was the same European design, they should have gotten it right on the prototype cars. The European car ramps don't mean the Ontario accessibility standards.

The ramp was never the issue. The issue was the angle of the ramp when it was fully deployed, the angle of the floor and the threshold between the door and the floor.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The important thing is to ensure that all the new lines we are building - TTC (Crosstown/Finch) as well as Hurontario, KW, Hamilton, etc - are built generically so that procurement for these will attract the broadest bidder base. And then, don't set unwise content terms in the tender so that builders self-exclude themselves.

The Bombardier contract is a firm order for 400 cars, of which 204 are to be TTC spec. TTC reportedly wants a further 60. The 400 order should be amended so B builds more TTC cars and fewer generic-spec cars. TTC has enough leverage in its lawsuit to force this on B. There is still time to retender for Finch or Hamilton. That cuts B out of new orders but fulfils the contract to them. Yes, it's treating the TTC procurement as a lost cause, but for the reasons already discussed that's a reality anyways.

Let TTC continue to receive cars at a trickle (it will improve, eventually) - they are good cars once they get here. And then let B take its lumps in the marketplace.

- Paul

Media is reporting that new Bombardier delivery timetable is to only delivery 13 more cars in 2016. 31 by year end. Not so long ago they were promising 27 by end of 2015.

If they achieve this schedule, they'll only deliver 16 in 2016, compared to 12 in 2015. But still will deliver all 204 by 2019. That means they'll have to average 58 a year after 2016. Which seems unbelievable.

Media is reporting that new Bombardier delivery timetable is to only delivery 13 more cars in 2016. 31 by year end. Not so long ago they were promising 27 by end of 2015.

If they achieve this schedule, they'll only deliver 16 in 2016, compared to 12 in 2015. But still will deliver all 204 by 2019. That means they'll have to average 58 a year after 2016. Which seems unbelievable.

I'll just post this here...

Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 11.35.57 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 11.35.57 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 11.35.57 AM.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 692
The only way I can see this remotely happening is if Mexico suddenly pulls its shit together and TB hires a night shift to go all out 24/5 construction. but thats just a pipedream :/

The only way I can see this remotely happening is if Mexico suddenly pulls its shit together and TB hires a night shift to go all out 24/5 construction. but thats just a pipedream :/
From the text of the announcement, I'd say that either production has been moved away from Mexico, or they are setting up a a second production line in Quebec.

well now that 16wks have gone and 36 remain that means on avg 1 car every 2.25 wks....
hopefully the new line at a "canadian/worldwide plant" doesnt include Mexico (Germany or some other competent Euro plant would be nice)

Same old, same old.
The same old, was bumping the ramp-up to 4 cars a month, by another month.

This actually bumps it by many months. And seems to move (or add) frame production to Canada from Mexico.

This might be a real plan, for once.

If Bombardier was to really fix the problem, the first step would be to "say what they can do", so as not to create false expectations. So perhaps there's hope.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Yes, I'd agree. The next step is for them to "do what they say".

This will push production in future years to over 58 a year. Which does seem very high. Though on the other hand, they were pushing out TR cars faster than this, with 80-90 cars a year from 2011 to 2014.

Reactions: rbt
"Adding an assembly line in one of our Canadian or Worldwide plants" is an interesting development.

I wonder if the production line for the non-TTC cars is affected.

- Paul

"Adding an assembly line in one of our Canadian or Worldwide plants" is an interesting development.

I wonder if the production line for the non-TTC cars is affected.

If that's the solution, it makes you wonder why they sat on it for so long and wasted so much time before moving on it.

AoD

Or maybe they meant accelerating the pace of putting up new press releases on the putative acceleration in deliveries.

AoD

Whenever they put out a new date for their latest watered-down delivery schedule, all we end up getting is another announcement that the streetcars will be further delayed.

Back