News   May 14, 2024
 781     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 456     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 506     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

This is coming from the same company that had the arrogance to say that: if the Quebec government gave them bailout money, they dont really need bailout money from the Canadian government but it would still be "nice to have".

Let's just call it what it is. Management in this company is just a mess. I know it, they know it, the public knows it, and the Canadian government knows it.

This is coming from the same company that had the arrogance to say that: if the Quebec government gave them bailout money, they dont really need bailout money from the Canadian government but it would still be "nice to have".

Let's just call it what it is. Management in this company is just a mess. I know it, they know it, the public knows it, and the Canadian government knows it.
The problem with Bombardier is that the family have a large number of "super shares' that give them voting control though they no longer own a majority of the company. This is generally seen as a bad thing and ending it is, I suspect, one of the Feds' conditions for aid.

Of course financing would be something Bombardier would like to have. Their products are very expensive to do research and development for. They have a stretch of the CS300 to engineer, they need to design a future for the Challenger platform with at minimum the use of geared turbofans, they need to improve the economics of the Q series so that on more mission profiles it wins against ATR, they need to improve their offshore capabilities so they can win more contracts against currently cheaper competitors, etc. If they wait for the first investment to reach the end of its cycle before investing in the next they are falling behind.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...an-governments-and-taxpayers/article29587501/

While some investors may not like the dual class share system in place for the company, I have to wonder if the outcome would end up being no improvement in management at all and instead would see the company chopped up and headquarters moved. So many investors wouldn't like the delay between investment and return on that investment, and wouldn't like the risk profile of a company competing against larger players with deeper pockets.

Last edited:
TTC 4419 was picked up from Bombardier in Thunder Bay this morning, Sunday April 17th 2016, and is sitting in "E" yard waiting to be picked up by CP train 420. GO CEM cab car 327 is travelling with it as well. My CRO contributor in Thunder Bay supplies this information to me for my column about Metrolinx, GO and TTC in CRO. Bryan Martyniuk photo with permission.

Attachments

• cr ttc4419.jpg
    cr ttc4419.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 327
Last edited:
TTC 4419 was picked up from Bombardier in Thunder Bay this morning, and is sitting in "E" yard waiting to be picked up by CP train 420. GO CEM cab car 327 is travelling with it as well. My CRO contributor in Thunder Bay supplies this information to me for my column about Metrolinx, GO and TTC in CRO. Bryan Martyniuk photo with permission.

Only 3 more in April....the next 13 days gonna be busy!

Back in 1582, it took a pope (Pope Gregory XIII) to skip 10 days. There was no October 6th—along with the 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th—simply didn't exist in 1582, in the Catholic world. Ten days, gone.

When Great Britain adapted the Gregorian calendar on September 2, 1752, the next day was September 14th. Greece was the last country to adapt it, in 1923. Today, it would be mean adding 13 days (from March 1, 1900 to February 28, 2100). From March 1, 2100 to February 28, 2200, we would have to add 14 days.

Therefore, to solve the problem with the delivery of streetcars from Bombardier, our mayor simply has to decreed that Toronto is going back to the Julian calendar, and doing 13 days all over again. Should be able to get one or two more streetcars from Bombardier that way. Don't even need a DeLorean to go back in time.

:D

See link, link, and link.

4418 was March 29th. So, they've got 12 days to kick out 2 more (presumably 4420 and 4421) to achieve the 4 per month rate.
It was to ramp up to 4 deliveries per month. 4418 arrived March 24th.

If 4419 arrives next months it would be the first delivery in April (and only the 3rd of the year).

Reactions: rbt
It was to ramp up to 4 deliveries per month. 4418 arrived March 24th.

If 4419 arrives next months it would be the first delivery in April (and only the 3rd of the year).

Except that Thunder Bay uses the Julian calendar, so they're 13 days off everything.

Back in 1582, it took a pope (Pope Gregory XIII) to skip 10 days. There was no October 6th—along with the 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th—simply didn't exist in 1582, in the Catholic world. Ten days, gone.

When Great Britain adapted the Gregorian calendar on September 2, 1752, the next day was September 14th. Greece was the last country to adapt it, in 1923. Today, it would be mean adding 13 days (from March 1, 1900 to February 28, 2100). From March 1, 2100 to February 28, 2200, we would have to add 14 days.

Therefore, to solve the problem with the delivery of streetcars from Bombardier, our mayor simply has to decreed that Toronto is going back to the Julian calendar, and doing 13 days all over again. Should be able to get one or two more streetcars from Bombardier that way. Don't even need a DeLorean to go back in time.

:D

See link, link, and link.

I hope this is the defence BBD uses in court. "We were on the Julian calendar!"

Solar calendars are so old school. That was fine for PCC's and Witts, but Flexities are too high tech for that.

Bombardier will put Steven Hawking on the stand as its expert witness. He can probably explain it all.

- Paul

Back