News   Jul 16, 2024
 75     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 257     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

That's a great shot. It's amazing how frequent the Toronto streetcars are.

I saw 4412 tonight, around 8:30-45, heading east on College around Bathurst. The odd thing was that it was actually signed as a 506 Carlton, at least at the back, and it appeared to be in service or at least not in use as a training car. I thought 506 wouldn't be getting the LFLRV for quite a while yet?

I should have taken a picture but I was driving at the time.

That's pretty odd, but I dont think it was in service. I saw it again Friday night for the 4th consecutive night on Lake Shore, about 3 hours before your sighting but it was in testing.

That's a great shot. It's amazing how frequent the Toronto streetcars are.

Spadina is pretty crowded even with extremely frequent service. Line ups at Spadina station to get on the streetcar in the morning. There are many of office buildings on Spadina between King & Queen (early 20th century brick buildings converted).

Sometimes I feel frustrated when the drivers inch forward slowly even though there's nothing in front and no stop signal. Hopefully things get better when more of the new streetcars (hopefully) appear.

At this point not sure if it's better to walk to the subway stations or take the streetcar which in terms of stop location & frequency are very convenient, but sometimes run fast sometimes run slow.

It's amazing how frequent the Toronto streetcars are.

Frequent? I've waited 45 minutes for a northbound 510 at Queen's Quay and Spadina before--not even at Union, Queen's Quay has approximately twice the (alleged) service due to the loop. 25-30 minutes for an eastbound 509 at Bathurst, 40 minutes for a northbound 511 at the same spot. All of these are at least weekly occurrences, oftentimes on a weekday afternoon between 12 and 2 PM or so.

And that's not to mention the 501, especially towards Long Branch, nor the 502/503...

In the picture I was commenting on it looked like they were closer than 45 minutes apart, because you could see 3 of them in one photo. I guess they go really slow?

I saw 4412 tonight, around 8:30-45, heading east on College around Bathurst. The odd thing was that it was actually signed as a 506 Carlton, at least at the back, and it appeared to be in service or at least not in use as a training car. I thought 506 wouldn't be getting the LFLRV for quite a while yet?
I'd assume they were testing the signage, and the communication of the vehicle back to transit control. Used to see this occasionally in the NextBus data with cars heading up and down Bathurst, and on St. Clair with cars not yet in service.

In the picture I was commenting on it looked like they were closer than 45 minutes apart, because you could see 3 of them in one photo. I guess they go really slow?
Mean well, no southbound for over 10 minutes with another LRV and 2 CLRV in front of these 3 LRV. Service is supposed to be every 3 minutes, but many a time its 10 or more with crush loads on the ones that do show up.

Service is delay with only one CLRV going through a light when there is one at the platform, considering it can hold 2 in the first place.

I can't remember; will this be the first winter that the new trains will have seen? I'm curious how the various "delicate" systems (like the plug-type doors and the accessibility ramp) will do with ice/snow/salt.

I'm also curious if there's been any noticibly higher track wear on the Spadina Line. The CLRV and ALRV trains have bogies that can swivel, but the design of the new train has fixed bogies that have to do all the work of "aiming" each of the 3 modules they're installed on, so they have to do a lot more work (and that, in turn, is work the rails have to do). Particularly in curves I'd expect to see that the new trains would be chewing up the surfaces where the flanges are, at least, a bit quicker than the older fleet was doing.

Obviously trams with fixed bogies are common throughout the world but this is something new for Toronto.

I can't remember; will this be the first winter that the new trains will have seen? I'm curious how the various "delicate" systems (like the plug-type doors and the accessibility ramp) will do with ice/snow/salt.
There were three new streetcars in service at the end of November 2014 (4400, 4403, and 4404) that ran all last winter. I didn't hear of any issues.

Sometimes I feel frustrated when the drivers inch forward slowly even though there's nothing in front and no stop signal. Hopefully things get better when more of the new streetcars (hopefully) appear.
Slow orders over junctions don't help either.

There were three new streetcars in service at the end of November 2014 (4400, 4403, and 4404) that ran all last winter. I didn't hear of any issues.
And we were curious about how all the systems on the roof would do :)

Slow orders over junctions don't help either.
I've noticed this even in newly rebuilt junctions. For example, southbound on Spadina at College, I often see the drivers come to a complete stop before entering the intersection even though they have a green signal. Seems very strange.

Back