News   Jul 16, 2024
 354     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 456     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Well, they made a high risk gamble believing that they can take on Boeing and Airbus and they lost it for the foreseeable future - and now they wanted the government to bail them out. Which is all well and good, but with all signs pointing to the dual class share structure and ultimately the control of the company remaining unchanged, I am not sure how much of a case can be made for government betting and rebetting on a family/executive that was responsible for this mess in the first place.

Also keep in mind that Quebec bailout goes into the CS program and not the company at large - i.e. the taxpayers are assuming the highest risk portion while the keeping the rail division for a potential minority stake sale. Guess who would be the beneficiary in an arrangement like that?

AoD

Last edited:
I was checking the schedule today for the 508 Lakeshore route on the TTC's website. This is what I got. Thank you Bombardier?

Screen shot 2015-10-30 at 11.30.01 PM.png

http://ttc.ca/Routes/508/Eastbound.jsp

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-30 at 11.30.01 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-30 at 11.30.01 PM.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,051
I was checking the schedule today for the 508 Lakeshore route on the TTC's website. This is what I got. Thank you Bombardier?

Nope, try again, more like "Thank you TTC?". It's not like the CLRV's and ALRV's started falling apart when the clock struck midnight. The TTC decided to stop or reduce the maintenance work on the fleet, too early, to save money, and this is the result.

Nope, try again, more like "Thank you TTC?". It's not like the CLRV's and ALRV's started falling apart when the clock struck midnight. The TTC decided to stop or reduce the maintenance work on the fleet, too early, to save money, and this is the result.

And assuming that your premise is even correct - why would they do it "too early"? Oh wait, the expected replacement streetcars and all that.

AoD

It's more like....the fleet has been at end of life for a number of years. TTC relied on BBD's assurances that the new cars would be arriving, and ramped down its maintenance accordingly. Can't fault TTC for that not working out. They had a sound phase out plan.....IF the new cars arrived as promised.

I took this picture recently at Roncy at 17:40 in the afternoon. I have never - in a lot of years - seen the yard this empty at rush hour. OK, there were a handful of spare cars in the barn, but the reality is that the fleet is stretched as never before. BBD's tardiness is a major impact.

- Paul

ttc all gone.jpg

Attachments

• ttc all gone.jpg
    ttc all gone.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 1,080
They were supposed to spend extra money rehabilitating streetcars that would have been totally unnecessary if Bombardier had even delivered half of the promised vehicles?

The vast majority of the old streetcars are still in service. They've also increased service in peak on some routes. The combination of all which is that they are about 15 or so streetcars short. Meanwhile Bombardier is dozens of streetcars behind. There's a lot that TTC can be blamed for ... but I don't see how it isn't Bombardier that's fully to blame for that one.

Ok, thanks that's comforting to know. Bombardier is my favourite company so it pisses me off when the TTC is always ragging on them.
Duck, I appreciate your candid admission of bias above, we all have favourite somethings or other. However, forgoing and putting aside everyone else's comments above, do you have any criticism of Bombardier, specific to how they have managed the TTC project? Thus far you've focused on quoting and challenging other UT posters' comments.

Last edited:
I took this picture recently at Roncy at 17:40 in the afternoon. I have never - in a lot of years - seen the yard this empty at rush hour. OK, there were a handful of spare cars in the barn, but the reality is that the fleet is stretched as never before. BBD's tardiness is a major impact.

View attachment 58186

How many would normally be in the yard at rush hour vs out in service?

Would it be okay if we used the full stock symbol: BBD.B?

The full stock symbol for the company is BBD the ".B" refers to a class of stock in that company....just as there are b class shares there are also ".A"s and (I believe) ".C" shares. ;)

Back